Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to ask the navigation system for a different route?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Whenever I try to navigate home, it leads me to my street from the wrong direction, so I have to drive through it, turn around, and drive back to park on the street. Is there a way to tell my navigation system to take a different route home?

Solution
Tesla has added way-points (stops) to software version 2021.40.5
You could use these to force a specific route, though you'll probably have to do it each time to set a destination.
Not that I'm aware of. But surely for this specific example you can change up the approach as you near your house? You don't have to follow all the directions explicitly ;)

I think Google navigation might actually learn from your prior routing and update route instructions for repeated destinations. But I'm not certain about that, but I am certain it wouldn't be included in the Tesla navigation. Seems like it would be good. And cars could share routing paths to destinations. This would be phenomenal for Supercharger approaches. Some of them are difficult to spot from the location that the navigation leads you to.

Reactions: RTPEV
Upvote 0
Does anybody know for sure that if you share driving directions from Google Maps with the car, does the car actually use the same steps? Or does it still do its own routing and just uses the departure and arrival points? On some platforms, Google Maps offers the user a choice of alternate routes and this might be helpful in avoiding certain locations.

Reactions: LoudMusic
Upvote 0
Does anybody know for sure that if you share driving directions from Google Maps with the car, does the car actually use the same steps? Or does it still do its own routing and just uses the departure and arrival points? On some platforms, Google Maps offers the user a choice of alternate routes and this might be helpful in avoiding certain locations.
I'm almost sure that it DOESN'T send the turn-by-turn, just the final destination.

Upvote 0
This would be phenomenal for Supercharger approaches. Some of them are difficult to spot from the location that the navigation leads you to.
+1. Not to mention that sometimes Tesla navigation sends you on some crazy approaches to Superchargers, sending you past them, doing a u-turn, and then into the same entrance that you could've taken a left turn into. If you're lucky you see this ahead of time, but sometimes it's not obvious.

Reactions: TomServo
Upvote 0

My experience is that it does not share routes, only the end destination, and the cars navigation handles the route. I havent seen any indication of the car taking the actual route shared from a mapping application, only the destination.

Reactions: jabloomf1230
Upvote 0
Tesla has added way-points (stops) to software version 2021.40.5
You could use these to force a specific route, though you'll probably have to do it each time to set a destination.

Upvote 0
Solution
It would be great if we could draw a custom route or if it tries to turn on a road that you don't want to go down, it respects your wishes to stop doing the maneuver. My current default routes take me through dangerous roads that FSD doesn't understand. (no lanes, but understood Left/Right side driving with blind hills) It becomes dangerous when I'm on the top of a hill with no lanes and the car is in the middle of the road. I know a better route that the FSD can run safely, but I have to manually drive it to that route currently. If it asked me if I'd like to remember the route I took, that would be beneficial.

Reactions: Jamezam
Upvote 0
Unfortunately, the answer is a qualified no. With the most recent firmwares you can add waypoints, which in theory, can be used to create alternate routes. Unfortunately, the present implementation of waypoints usually leads to counterintuitive navigation behavior on reaching an intermediate waypoint in a longer trip.

Sometimes, the navigation engine decides to go around the block rather than making a smooth transition from one leg of the trip to the next. Or worse, it may backtrack through the previous leg. I find that an intermediate waypoint works best when placed far from intersections and situated such that the navigation engine has no choice but to follow a sensible route.

It requires luck to achieve a well designed trip with multiple waypoints. Waypoints can be saved as favorites to be used in future trips, but complete trips cannot be saved. We can only hope that Tesla will refine the waypoints concept to make it easier to design an alternate route.

Upvote 0
It would be great if we could draw a custom route or if it tries to turn on a road that you don't want to go down, it respects your wishes to stop doing the maneuver. My current default routes take me through dangerous roads that FSD doesn't understand. (no lanes, but understood Left/Right side driving with blind hills) It becomes dangerous when I'm on the top of a hill with no lanes and the car is in the middle of the road. I know a better route that the FSD can run safely, but I have to manually drive it to that route currently. If it asked me if I'd like to remember the route I took, that would be beneficial.
The only way I know to create a custom route is to start driving and let the system recalibrate.

Upvote 0