Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to change when the car locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m a owner of a Model Y and one thing I want to know is if there is a way to get the car the lock automatically (preferably once I exit and close the door) I understand I can choose to lock the car quicker by using the app but sometimes my phone signal seems very slow.

The reason I’m asking this is because twice I’ve come under situations where I’ve gone to my local shop for a quick run to collect something and have seen people walk towards the car to take a closer look at it, makes me feel really unsafe relying on the auto lock

Hit the lock symbol at the top of the screen before you get out.

IMG_4203.JPG

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I’m a owner of a Model Y and one thing I want to know is if there is a way to get the car the lock automatically (preferably once I exit and close the door) I understand I can choose to lock the car quicker by using the app but sometimes my phone signal seems very slow.

The reason I’m asking this is because twice I’ve come under situations where I’ve gone to my local shop for a quick run to collect something and have seen people walk towards the car to take a closer look at it, makes me feel really unsafe relying on the auto lock
You can’t change the “walk away lock” distance, but you can always manually clock the car. Have you ever reached the inside of the store and NOT had the car already lock? How do you manage to park so close to the store in London??? :)

• Funny
Reactions: Bouba
You can’t change the “walk away lock” distance, but you can always manually clock the car. Have you ever reached the inside of the store and NOT had the car already lock? How do you manage to park so close to the store in London??? :)
A few times I’ve noticed the car take longer than usually to lock the times have seemed very unreliable, I don’t think you’re trying to offer much help rather you’re trying to question the question I’ve posted? If you haven’t got anything helpful to add I’d rather you not respond, I’ve had cars previously broken into and just want to make sure if there’s additional steps to keep my belongings safe

• Disagree
Reactions: outdoors
A few times I’ve noticed the car take longer than usually to lock the times have seemed very unreliable, I don’t think you’re trying to offer much help rather you’re trying to question the question I’ve posted? If you haven’t got anything helpful to add I’d rather you not respond, I’ve had cars previously broken into and just want to make sure if there’s additional steps to keep my belongings safe
I answered your basic question .. can you change the distance for lock? I also noted (as others have) that you can manually lock the car on exit if you are concerned about the security of your surroundings. Sure, i added a gentle humorous remark at the end, does that offend you? Perhaps if your attitude came over as a little less arrogant and “entitlement” you might get more (free) help here?

If you get more than a few yards away from the car, or maybe 10 seconds without the car locking then that is certainly unusual behaviour.

I normally find that the car is locked (far too quick) by the time that I have walked past the front of the car to go fetch the charge cable. It does seem sensitive to direction so may be adjusting what direction you walk away from the car from will achieve what you are after. Ours will lock quicker walking forward than away from rear quarter. But neither take longer than probably 10 seconds or 3-4 meters or so.

Reactions: Jason71
Welcome to a Tesla forum.... ;)

To be honest, the highest quota of "you're doing it wrong, you moron" answers do tend to come from across the pond...

Reactions: Subieeee
You have to accept that as a Tesla owner you are an ambassador for the brand..people want to look.
In fact, how many people caught me on their Sentry Mode before I bought my Tesla...

Reactions: UkNorthampton
I have a Tesla ring on my hand & in situations as described I just touch the drivers door pillar to lock the car as I walk away. No need to use the phone, take out a card or look back to check when sufficient distance away for auto lock. As simple as can be & works every time.

Reactions: drtimhill
Sometimes I just use my android phone's NFC in the same way as the key card, especially if I might not be far from the car and don't want to risk leaving bluetooth on. Some helpful (possibly sarcastic) person on here mentioned it, you just hold it near the normal keycard position on the pillar, drivers door only (annoyingly for getting little kids in and out).

Reactions: Subieeee
Get the Tesla Keyfob, then it's consistent and you can always push the top to lock the car when you prefer. The phone is then a convenient backup. It also means you can unlock the charging cable more easily and make more use of the Frunk.

What seems to happen with particularly Android phones is more variability, I guess different strength bluetooth radios.

Get the Tesla Keyfob, then it's consistent and you can always push the top to lock the car when you prefer. The phone is then a convenient backup. It also means you can unlock the charging cable more easily and make more use of the Frunk.

What seems to happen with particularly Android phones is more variability, I guess different strength bluetooth radios.

+1 on this one. I purchased the key fob just to be able to lock when walking away when parked somewhere busy, and I didn’t want to faff with the phone/card. Can do it while the fob is still in my pocket as well.

Also the ability to unlock charge cable without getting the phone out is a plus.

If you're concerned about security, make sure you have Pin 2 drive enabled. Won't protect you from people stealing things that are lying on the seats etc., but if you're concerned about security you wouldn't be doing that :)

Reactions: Roy B

Does the fob have a frunk button?....and a unlock charge port button?