Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to change when the car locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Belated +1 for fob. Transforms how easy makes things particularly charging port in the morning..

Who'd have guessed it - a solution that car manufacturers have been using for 40 years ... er... works šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚
I do understand the fob but i rarely open the frunk and car seems to lock pretty quickly and reliably when I walk away. Charge port is a pain though.
So for me not having to bother with an additional device is great.

My biggest problem when I drive any other car I constantly forget to lock it. My wife even walked away from her mini leaving the engine running the other day :)

I'd also like a few more seconds at my home geofence. I have walk away lock enabled It's like a game of cat and mouse when I get out my car and go to my charge point to see if I can get back before the car locks me out :D
that is odd I never have this issue. getting out and walking around the car I always get there before it locks the port. Maybe its dependant on BT signal strength?

Reactions: Adopado
I have walk away auto lock enabled and also the horn to beep and mirrors to fold and any windows open to close - so when i walk away I hear and can see visually that the car has locked, however I have this option disabled at home address. However, the distance from home is an issue, I can drive to the local shops - maybe just a quarter of a mile away and the car still thinks its at home - so doesn't lock when i exit. shame i cant adjust the geofencing distance.

My problem was walking away...with the phone on the charge point! Once we both did it at the same time...so now I have it set to hoot when it locks...but it would be handy if the hoot could be disabled at home

Thanks for the help guys I think key fob is the way to go for me, just ordered one.
Great stuff, itā€™s the best purchase I made for the car. It comes in a ridiculously over engineered box that is totally not like Tesla - looks over function šŸ˜

Donā€™t forget to order the rubber band as well if you want to attach the fob to a key ring - it doesnā€™t come with one. (For which there would have been plenty of room in that silly box)

Reactions: Subieeee
It is in the shape of a car, pressing the front opens the bonnet, back opens the boot, pressing ion top unlocks the car. If you have a Tesla home charger pressing the release button on it unlocks the charger.

It is in the shape of a car, pressing the front opens the bonnet, back opens the boot, pressing ion top unlocks the car. If you have a Tesla home charger pressing the release button on it unlocks the charger.
I feel an urge to correct to say "double pressing" not "pressing". If you press and hold the back it will unlock the charge port, or open it if closed.

Welcome to a Tesla forum.... ;)

To be honest, the highest quota of "you're doing it wrong, you moron" answers do tend to come from across the pond...
Did i call him a moron? .. did I say he was doing it wrong? The only comment I made was a humorous one that he must be very lucky to be able to park (in London!) so close to the store that the car has not locked by the time he is inside. Otherwise I just answered his question .. as I have done for literally thousands of others here. As for ā€œcoming across the pondā€ I live in Seattle but am from the UK .. make of that what you will.

Hit the lock symbol at the top of the screen before you get out.
Pressing the lock icon before you leave the car is a good tip, but if you have the phone key enabled then couldn't anyone open the car again as long as your phone is within range ?

Sometimes I just use my android phone's NFC in the same way as the key card, especially if I might not be far from the car and don't want to risk leaving bluetooth on. Some helpful (possibly sarcastic) person on here mentioned it, you just hold it near the normal keycard position on the pillar, drivers door only (annoyingly for getting little kids in and out).
So the NFC operation with Android really works ? There's nothing in the Owner's Manual about it. Do you need the phone key enabled or just the app ? If it's the phone key then surely the bluetooth would've unlocked it before you get close enough to use NFC. I've tried all combinations without success, but it would be ideal for me if it did work. Does anyone know the steps to set it up ?

What seems to happen with particularly Android phones is more variability, I guess different strength bluetooth radios.
Yes, this seems to be the case. Seems the norm is that you have to stand next to the car to be able to unlock it using the phone key, and if your phone's in the back pocket you might have to turn round. Mine unlocks either one M3-length away (through a wall) or two M3-lengths away in open space (Samsung S21). Makes the phone key too insecure for me, hence the interest in NFC.

So the NFC operation with Android really works ? There's nothing in the Owner's Manual about it. Do you need the phone key enabled or just the app ? If it's the phone key then surely the bluetooth would've unlocked it before you get close enough to use NFC. I've tried all combinations without success, but it would be ideal for me if it did work. Does anyone know the steps to set it up ?
If it DOES work (and Iā€™ve not tried it) the phone is acting exactly like the NFC chip in the keycard, and so would need to follow the same setup as a new keycard.

• Helpful
Reactions: _MJF_
Sometimes I just use my android phone's NFC in the same way as the key card, especially if I might not be far from the car and don't want to risk leaving bluetooth on. Some helpful (possibly sarcastic) person on here mentioned it, you just hold it near the normal keycard position on the pillar, drivers door only (annoyingly for getting little kids in and out).

No sarcasm, was being sincere.

Pressing the lock icon before you leave the car is a good tip, but if you have the phone key enabled then couldn't anyone open the car again as long as your phone is within range ?

Yes, this seems to be the case. Seems the norm is that you have to stand next to the car to be able to unlock it using the phone key, and if your phone's in the back pocket you might have to turn round. Mine unlocks either one M3-length away (through a wall) or two M3-lengths away in open space (Samsung S21). Makes the phone key too insecure for me, hence the interest in NFC.

Your phone typically has to be really close to the car to unlock it, even if it is still connected via Bluetooth. YMMV on this though.

NFC does work and doesn't require Bluetooth as long as the phone is set up as a key. My wife uses it instead of her key card. Worth noting that Bluetooth unlock only kicks in when the phone is close and you pull the handle. The NFC tap unlocks without having to pull the handle.

She has to wake the phone and physically tap the pillar for hers to work though. You may have to have the app open in the background or tweak app optimisation.

• Helpful

OPs concern was the delay in auto lock was so long that he would not be in the immediate vicinity while the car was still unlocked. By tapping the lock icon before closing the door, the lock is immediately engaged when the door is closed. Yes, if he or someone else did try and open the door right away, the car would open. However, that also means the OP is in the immediate vicinity.

My iPhone only unlocks the car when I'm pretty much next to it; 2-3 meters away, it won't open. Not sure about Android, but I have iOS Location Access set to Always and Precise Location enabled for the Tesla app.

What happens if you press the lock icon on the screen before leaving the car and accidentally leave your phone in the car? Does it then ignore the locking request or actually lock you out of the car? It would be worth testing that scenario at home before making it a habit.

Actually thinking about it, I guess it will just unlock when you try to open the door as the phone will be in range.

Reactions: AquaY
Download the Tesla app,
Set NFC on in your android phone
Add the Phone just like how you add your key card (keep it next to the central compartment then click add device - it will then ask for your key card, put the key card and then name it) or check the Tesla video how to add a key card/phone
Now use the phone like key card to lock and unlock.
You donā€™t need bluetooth connection for this and the phone need to be on for this to work.

• Helpful
I got the key fob however I canā€™t store it with my normal keys as there is no way to turn off proximity unlocking. Even though the car will auto lock, if I leave my keys several metres away through walls also, the car can still be unlocked from there by opening any door.

Worth checking for anyone with the key fob that your car doesnā€™t unlock, itā€™s very annoying and should be possible but no way to adjust the distance.