Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to change when the car locks?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Great stuff, it’s the best purchase I made for the car. It comes in a ridiculously over engineered box that is totally not like Tesla - looks over function 😁

Don’t forget to order the rubber band as well if you want to attach the fob to a key ring - it doesn’t come with one. (For which there would have been plenty of room in that silly box)
Thank you, I’ll look into the rubber band also, I do miss having a traditional keyfob so I’m sure I’ll really enjoy this purchase

Reactions: Big_D
What happens if you press the lock icon on the screen before leaving the car and accidentally leave your phone in the car? Does it then ignore the locking request or actually lock you out of the car? It would be worth testing that scenario at home before making it a habit.

Actually thinking about it, I guess it will just unlock when you try to open the door as the phone will be in range.
If passenger locks car from inside then when I’ve tried to unlock with usual phone it doesn’t unlock and need to manually unlock in the app.

Not sure about the phone being left in the car scenario

I have the same issue others have that when I get home and want to plug in, it's hit-and-miss as to whether I can get the charger plugged in fast enough. You can turn off auto-lock at home, but then I just forget to lock it. Also tend to forget to lock the other car having got used to auto lock on the Tesla.

I've looked at the key fob before but have tended to think "how much?!" particularly since it's normally the sort of thing you get included with a new car.

when I get home and want to plug in, it's hit-and-miss as to whether I can get the charger plugged in fast enough

If you click "Open charge port", on dashboard screen, before you get out ... is that still open by the time you have walked around the car?

That works for me, but my car doesn't lock as fast as you describe.

I've looked at the key fob before but have tended to think "how much?!"

Fob will work on your next Tesla though, you aren't handing it back with the car :) Although Model-S fob doesn't work on 3/Y, but the fob I got for 3 now works on the replacement Y.

If it DOES work (and I’ve not tried it) the phone is acting exactly like the NFC chip in the keycard, and so would need to follow the same setup as a new keycard.

NFC does work and doesn't require Bluetooth as long as the phone is set up as a key. My wife uses it instead of her key card. Worth noting that Bluetooth unlock only kicks in when the phone is close and you pull the handle. The NFC tap unlocks without having to pull the handle.

She has to wake the phone and physically tap the pillar for hers to work though. You may have to have the app open in the background or tweak app optimisation.

Download the Tesla app,
Set NFC on in your android phone
Add the Phone just like how you add your key card (keep it next to the central compartment then click add device - it will then ask for your key card, put the key card and then name it) or check the Tesla video how to add a key card/phone
Now use the phone like key card to lock and unlock.
You don’t need bluetooth connection for this and the phone need to be on for this to work.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that the NFC setup had to be done from the phone, e.g. using the app, but as you suggest you need to simply treat the phone as a keycard to set up NFC and add it using car's interface.

NFC now set up nicely on the phone (Android), seems like you only need to wake the phone up rather than actually unlock it - many thanks. Will still be carrying a keycard as backup but it's better to not have to get it out every time when you'll be carrying the phone anyway.

Thanks for the info, I was thinking that the NFC setup had to be done from the phone, e.g. using the app, but as you suggest you need to simply treat the phone as a keycard to set up NFC and add it using car's interface.

NFC now set up nicely on the phone (Android), seems like you only need to wake the phone up rather than actually unlock it - many thanks. Will still be carrying a keycard as backup but it's better to not have to get it out every time when you'll be carrying the phone anyway.
Yes, just the phone needs to be awake. Of course, keep the keycard as reserve - i’ve never had to use it (touchwood). Just be careful when you keep the phone near the b pillar as some phones can easily scratch that part.

What happens if you press the lock icon on the screen before leaving the car and accidentally leave your phone in the car? Does it then ignore the locking request or actually lock you out of the car? It would be worth testing that scenario at home before making it a habit.

Actually thinking about it, I guess it will just unlock when you try to open the door as the phone will be in range.

If passenger locks car from inside then when I’ve tried to unlock with usual phone it doesn’t unlock and need to manually unlock in the app.

Not sure about the phone being left in the car scenario
Just tested it. Left my phone in the center console under the screen. When the door closed, the car honked and lights flashed to indicate it was locked. When I went to open the door…..

[suspense] 😨

It opened! 😁 🤘

Reactions: browellm
Apart from this way Model 3 Owner's Manual | Tesla

I don't find the same, I've left my key as near as possible to the car inside my house (about 2m away from the rear of the car) and it doesn't unlock.
That would allow me to disable the "Walk-Away Door Lock" but the proximity unlock would still work on the key fob.

If my fob is less than 2m from the rear then the car can be opened, I would have liked to disable passive entry on the fob but I don't think is possible.

Just tested it. Left my phone in the center console under the screen. When the door closed, the car honked and lights flashed to indicate it was locked. When I went to open the door…..

[suspense] 😨

It opened! 😁 🤘
Okay, that's as predicted then. Problem for me is that I often forget to take my phone off the charger pad when getting out of the car and the fact that it then doesn't auto-lock reminds me I've left my phone in the car. But if I pressed the lock icon and left my phone in the car I would be non the wiser as it would appear to lock the car. So needs a bit of care when using that function, but at least you don't get locked out!

I've used a fob from the first day I got my M3LR and bought a Faraday storage box to keep it and my house keys in.
I also have a large size Faraday pouch for when I'm visiting friends so I can "hide" the fob from the car - just to be extra sure.
I got one of those Amazon full rubber covers for the fob with the clear marking for where (and what) the buttons are - I reckoned the Tesla rubber band might be too flimsy for the tiny slippy fob as it's really too small to be used 'naked'.

Reactions: Rooster6655
I got one of those Amazon full rubber covers for the fob with the clear marking for where (and what) the buttons are - I reckoned the Tesla rubber band might be too flimsy for the tiny slippy fob as it's really too small to be used 'naked'.
I can confirm the Tesla rubber band doesn’t move an inch, it’s very secure. Used it for 4 months now.