Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to disconnect the battery from all electronics in the car

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I talked with a first responder who told me he could rescue ( cut ) someone out of a crashed ICE car in 5 min.. but it would take 15 min or more ( having to look up cable routing) to cut someone out of a Tesla due to worries about high voltage wires running thru the car.. and.. says he.. The wiring diagrams assume that the car is largely intact and wiring is where it’s supposed to be.

So.. my question is .. Is there a way to quickly and totally isolate the battery ( a simple accessible mechanical switch would be nice)

This would be very cool for first responders or vehicle and body repair service persons who are nervous about working on a Tesla

Something doesn't' sounds right about his statement. There are no high voltage lines running through the pillars and upper frame which is where they typically cut to extract people from a car. Confused about that statement. Sounds like he hasn't researched this much or had any training on a Tesla or else he would know that.

Last edited:
I talked with a first responder who told me he could rescue ( cut ) someone out of a crashed ICE car in 5 min.. but it would take 15 min or more ( having to look up cable routing) to cut someone out of a Tesla due to worries about high voltage wires running thru the car.. and.. says he.. The wiring diagrams assume that the car is largely intact and wiring is where it’s supposed to be.

So.. my question is .. Is there a way to quickly and totally isolate the battery ( a simple accessible mechanical switch would be nice)

This would be very cool for first responders or vehicle and body repair service persons who are nervous about working on a Tesla

I agree with S.D. that the high voltage is all down low, away from where you would typically cut. But, for extra safety, there is a visible loop of wire with an orange first responders icon on it. The proper protocol is to cut that to disable high voltage throughout the vehicle (before cutting into it). It appears the first responder you spoke with is not properly educated about EV's (or chooses not to be).

Reactions: ElectricTravel
Incompetent rescuers is a bigger danger to you.
That dumbass could stop spreading his fear of technology, or electric cars, and just read up on the procedures, which are available to anyone, especially first responders.
If that takes 15minutes to read, illiteracy is the real problem. :)

Reactions: StealthP3D