Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to know if I'm getting someone else's reject?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Driver's side door, where the VIN is. The sticker there has a manufactured date. It's just month/year, but if you got it early in the month, then you'd expect its manufacture month to be the previous month. If it's 2 month's old, it was likely a reject. If you got your car at the end of the month, it probably should have been manufactured in that month. If you get it in the middle of the month, then the manufacture month should be the previous month, so it's possible it was a reject that was quickly fixed, but since most body shops take a while to do the work, it would be unlikely.
I'm not sure you can use those as any sort of guidelines. There are many reasons a car may have taken longer to be delivered especially those traveling across the county, or ones in Texas that be delivered until they are paid for, or what if someone passes on a vin because they are out of town and can't take delivery.

• Informative
Reactions: gavine
I'm not sure you can use those as any sort of guidelines. There are many reasons a car may have taken longer to be delivered especially those traveling across the county, or ones in Texas that be delivered until they are paid for, or what if someone passes on a vin because they are out of town and can't take delivery.
All I'm saying is if manufacture date is snug up against your delivery date, you have reason to believe you are NOT getting a reject. But even passing on a VIN due to scheduling conflict seems like it would just quickly go to the next person. It won't need to be sent somewhere for repairs, which can take days or weeks. It would literally just be "dsvick can't take the car, so call up drawfour and schedule it".

So yesterday I had just got my Tesla Financing info set to confirm, when I received the call (from Vegas) that my car was ready to schedule pick up and that it was already at the delivery center (Portland, OR)!! Had to scramble yesterday to figure out money etc. But today when I confirmed pick up, I asked if this was a reject or if it was built for me. She said it was a "spare" and it probably was because financing or some other reason it couldn't be picked up, so it became available. Vin 652xx, dual motor. I really, really hope it is a perfect car and not something sub-par! Its a three hour drive to pick it up on Saturday.

I just got assigned a VIN number 45XXX, after several cancellations/delays.

They told me that this would be a new car from the next batch of cars coming directly from the factory. It doesn't look like a new VIN , it looks more like a VIN from a 1-2 months ago.

My car is a Red/RWD/aero. Delivery is in Fremont.

Any ideas/suggestions?

@Brian C
Could you request home delivery? 3 hours is a lot of driving to pick up a car, and a quite a bit of time wasted if you end up rejecting it.

Ironically, from what I have heard home delivery is reserved to those who live closer to delivery centers, not further away. At least that's what people here in CO have been saying. If they are too far away from the Denver delivery center, even within the Denver metro area they are being told they live outside the home delivery area.

Ironically, from what I have heard home delivery is reserved to those who live closer to delivery centers, not further away. At least that's what people here in CO have been saying. If they are too far away from the Denver delivery center, even within the Denver metro area they are being told they live outside the home delivery area.

You are right. There are 4-5 service centers and the factory within 20 minutes of where I live. Yet they do home delivery to my location!

But, I found the following at the FAQ page of tesla.com

What if I live far away from the nearest Service Center?
If you live more than 160 miles from the closest Service Center, your vehicle can be shipped directly to your home or office. Payment in full is required before the car will ship, and a window for delivery will then be provided.[...]

Although it says payment in full is required before the car will ship, I *think* I have seen some posts on this forum that people paid with cashiers check / ACH upon delivery, which I assume would mean you can refuse to pay if you reject the car.

I just got assigned a VIN number 45XXX, after several cancellations/delays.

They told me that this would be a new car from the next batch of cars coming directly from the factory. It doesn't look like a new VIN , it looks more like a VIN from a 1-2 months ago.

My car is a Red/RWD/aero. Delivery is in Fremont.

Any ideas/suggestions?

They are randomizing the release of VINs to obscure production numbers. Look at the delivery spreadsheet pinned at the top of the ordering forum. I just got my RWD VIN yesterday: 58XXX. Some folks yesterday got ~78XXX and ~46XXX. They are all over the map.

Thats my short form of "negative nancy" - someone who commonly whines, complains or looks at the bad side of things.

I don't know what you are talking about but that is not a slur. No one would one make any sense given the topic being discussed..?
That may have been your intent but know that most people don't abbreviate "Negative Nancy" in that way.

See below:
IMG_8614.jpg

I ordered Red LR AWD and wanted to change it to Blue LR AWD Performance. I had issues trying to work it out with my Tesla inside delivery person. I was supposed to pick the red one Monday... Even though I changed it over the phone... my Tesla.com account still shows my old config. So my original red might count as a reject when there may be nothing wrong with it.