Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to send another forum member a private message?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This rule is ridiculous as it forces you to spam and post unnecessarily just to get your count up and elevate privileges, which is exactly what I am doing now because if the admins/moderators don't even know the required limit, how would we. Maybe word count has something to do with it too hence my longer than needed post to express the same frustration as others who have gone before me in this quest to buy someone else's crap. Never had this issue with other car forums. BMW forums are actually really well built and have great subsections that describe Private Sales broken up by Interior, Exterior, Engine Mods, Suspension, Wheels/Tires, etc. This is a great way to filter through everyone's random post to sell stuff. Just my 2c.

Posting in here just to up my number of posts to send a PM, for new users trying to use the For Sale part of the forum, the inability to send PM's is rather annoying.

Constant scamming (and I mean constant) attempts from people in that specific forum is likely one reason why the site owners set it up that way.

This rule is ridiculous as it forces you to spam and post unnecessarily just to get your count up and elevate privileges, which is exactly what I am doing now because if the admins/moderators don't even know the required limit, how would we. Maybe word count has something to do with it too hence my longer than needed post to express the same frustration as others who have gone before me in this quest to buy someone else's crap. Never had this issue with other car forums. BMW forums are actually really well built and have great subsections that describe Private Sales broken up by Interior, Exterior, Engine Mods, Suspension, Wheels/Tires, etc. This is a great way to filter through everyone's random post to sell stuff. Just my 2c.

VOLUNTEER moderators do not control this setting, so dont know the exact parameters. We just know why it is implemented, which is to try to stem the tide of scammers joining the forum, and PM ing people saying "I see you want to sell so and so lets chat about it" and getting scammed out of their item and or money.

Note, people attempting to do that are not rare... it happens a lot (a LOT lot). Preventing brand new posters with no post history whatsoever from sending PMs directly until they interact with the site a bit more is certainly not perfect, but it does help with that.

Reactions: erik.gnzo
Is this now a thread where people can post to bump their post counts? What a silly rule. I don’t care to participate in a ton, I’m more of an observer, but I came across a post that I have a specific set of skills to help a member even though it’s not helpful to the community at large. Not to mention private and may contain personal information.
Hey all!

Is this now a thread where people can post to bump their post counts? What a silly rule. I don’t care to participate in a ton, I’m more of an observer, but I came across a post that I have a specific set of skills to help a member even though it’s not helpful to the community at large. Not to mention private and may contain personal information.
Hey all!
I agree. I was cautious to maintain my privacy when I made my first post - referenced above!

We have this restriction in place to prevent spamming by new accounts via PM. We are aware of the inconvenience that this creates for new users and are considering a change.

In the meantime, if anyone needs access to Conversations/PMs who does not yet have it, please send us an email at [email protected] or use the Contact Us form.
Thanks for the explanation. Is there an FAQ setting all this type of information out for new users? I have not been able to find it.
Thanks