Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to set a preferred driver?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We've only had the car for about a week. Some things we love and some are driving me crazy.

We set up both drivers (me and my wife) to use our iPhones as keys. When I drive somewhere, leave and lock the car (it locks by itself) and return and grab the driver side handle, the seat slides forward and my wife's saved profile shows as active.

If I'm the last person to drive the car, why don't the seat and mirrors stay in place per my settings?

It keeps happening. I'm not sure if it's because she is the first profile on the list or not. If I have to I will delete her profile and add it again, moving my profile to the top spot.

Very maddening.

P.S. I have a few question that I can't find answers for, but will post them as separate topics. Thanks to all in advance...

We've only had the car for about a week. Some things we love and some are driving me crazy.

We set up both drivers (me and my wife) to use our iPhones as keys. When I drive somewhere, leave and lock the car (it locks by itself) and return and grab the driver side handle, the seat slides forward and my wife's saved profile shows as active.

If I'm the last person to drive the car, why don't the seat and mirrors stay in place per my settings?

It keeps happening. I'm not sure if it's because she is the first profile on the list or not. If I have to I will delete her profile and add it again, moving my profile to the top spot.

Very maddening.

P.S. I have a few question that I can't find answers for, but will post them as separate topics. Thanks to all in advance...
You need to associate a key (phone or key card) with a driver profile, so when that key is used to unlock the car it will automatically choose the profile you have associated with the key.

Not close to my car right now, so cant recall if you do this from the keys/Locks screen or driver profiles, but it's not too hard to find. You can set a single profile for each key (which means you can set the same profile for both your phone and a key card).

Reactions: KevinT3141
Two things you need to verify as stated above. 1st go into the locks menu and tap the little icon that looks like a person next to your device.

2nd when both devices are in range it will use the "priority device". If you want that to be your device you need to tap priority device. I believe that setting is in the Bluetooth menu.

Thank you for your replies...tapping the person icon might have worked. I also set as priority in Bluetooth.

Finger crossed.

Btw, most of these steps are completely opaque. It should be far more intuitive. This coming from someone who did UX/UI : )

It seemed silly to me that once my phone was set as a key using Bluetooth, I also had to then pair my phone to the car also using Bluetooth.

Some of the UX/UI decisions are atrocious : )
Not really .. these are quite discrete functions. I have had "guests" in my car who pair so that they can play music from their phones .. no way do I want them able to unlock the car. Also, using the phone as a key involves both the phone and the Tesla phone app, while pairing the phone has nothing to do with the Tesla app.

Trying to wrap these two into a single UI would only confuse things imho.

It seemed silly to me that once my phone was set as a key using Bluetooth, I also had to then pair my phone to the car also using Bluetooth.

Some of the UX/UI decisions are atrocious : )
It isn't..if you think about the multiple use cases out there where the preferred bluetooth for lets say, music, isn't necessarily the drivers....

Setting the profile to the key was pretty intuitive to be honest....

The part that I had an issue with is when my wife and I went into the car, it couldn't always figure out who was in the driver's seat. Apparently it is supposed to be able to tell but it got it wrong more often than not (it preferred her phone most of the time).

Since I'm driving it 95% of the time, I just left it so it is always my profile and she can select it manually if she needs to.

Reactions: KevinT3141