Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to turn auto headlights OFF ?

Mr. Wonderful

Apr 19, 2021
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
When I go to settings for lights, it seems to always be on AUTO, even though I always switch the setting to OFF.
My car is parked in the garage, so the car thinks it's night time and decided to come on.
I have not been able to find a way to keep the setting on OFF because it always goes back to AUTO setting.
There is no "save" button on that page.

After finding a few threads on this topic, I've read keeping lights on OFF is not possible.
Cycling the lights on at start-up is not good for the bulbs over the long term..

Last edited:

frankvb

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
Don't worry too much, cycling LEDs om/off is not nearly as bad as it is for old-fashioned lights. These LEDs should last the lifetime of the car.

andaconda

Apr 3, 2021
S.W. Montana
When I go to settings for lights, it seems to always be on AUTO, even though I always switch the setting to OFF.
My car is parked in the garage, so the car thinks it's night time and decided to come on.
I have not been able to find a way to keep the setting on OFF because it always goes back to AUTO setting.
There is no "save" button on that page.

After finding a few threads on this topic, I've read keeping lights on OFF is not possible.
Cycling the lights on at start-up is not good for the bulbs over the long term..
I've got my headlights set to off in my driver profile. However for some reason when I get about 150 feet from the driveway, they turn on (maybe it wants to warn people as I cross the sidewalk?)

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC