TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is there a way to turn touch screen off?

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Matias, Sep 28, 2015.

1. Matias

Matias Active Member

I would like to turn touchscreen off to wipe it clean. Is there a way to do this? I tried powering car off from touchscreen, but as soon as I started to clean it it came back on.

2. taurusking

taurusking Member

Yes there is a way...Select Controls and then Displays and then Clean mode...to exit clean mode press on screen for 3 secs...

Very easy to do...

I also suggest that you buy a 17 inch cover screen to protect it from scratches from day to day use

3. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

There I a cleaning mode in controls, display.

4. Matias

Matias Active Member

Thank you!

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Just a note to others through that this does not turn off the 17" screen, but merely locks it so you can clean it. Accomplishes the goal, but if someone were to read this wanting to turn off the 17" for a different reason (say napping in the Model S at night), then this is NOT the answer.

Again, this is the right answer to Matias's goal, it just doesn't turn off the 17" screen in case someone gets here via search for different reasons to turn of the 17".

6. taurusking

taurusking Member

The title of thread needs to be changed to "Is there a way to lock touchscreen to enable cleaning"

7. supratachophobia

supratachophobia Active Member

8. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

But there is a way to clean the screen. You just select "Screen Cleaning" from the display menu. It's been there for some time.

9. st50maint

st50maint Member

So, I assume the screen can not actually be shut off while driving?

10. brec

brec Member

Correct.

11. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Except for the few seconds when you reboot it while driving! ;)

12. jerry33

I forgot to test it on the way home, but I'm pretty sure you can put the display in screen cleaning mode at any time.

13. roblab

roblab Active Member

Since it is obvious that a lot of people don't know how to clean their screen with the screen on, let me tell you how.

The screen is responding to the finger touching it, albeit through a piece of cloth.

If you double or quadruple the cloth (and maybe use a thicker microfiber towel), the screen won't react, and you can wipe off fingerprints while it is on. I clean mine several times a drive. My wife uses hand lotion, which is maybe more fingerprint-y than plain fingers, but the screen certainly needs several sessions every time we use NAV.

My screen is pretty much fingerprint free all the time. I use a black, thick microfiber cloth the size of a washcloth, and toss it in the laundry every week.

Good luck.

14. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

Rob, while it's not a problem to use whatever number of folds you feel is appropriate, why don't you also use screen cleaning mode to have the screen ignore touches?

15. jerry33

I do this too. Actually, I haven't gotten into the habit of using the cleaning mode because it wasn't available when I got my car. :) A screen protector really helps reduce the fingerprints (and the bubbles wen't away after 18 months or so--I suck at putting screen protectors on).

16. scottreds2k

scottreds2k Member

Perfect example of a reason to be able to turn the touch screen off while sitting in the car. (Old tech vs. New) My wife and I were at a drive-in this past weekend and we had to use cleaning mode to dim the touch screen to the max, but of course that does not change the dash. Kind of annoying to have to sit through 3 movies, making sure we touched the screen enough to keep the car "on". The plus is, we saw 3 newer full length movies for $10 each and sat in the air conditioning. The real hard part was eating popcorn in the car.

17. Canuck

Canuck Active Member

The best solution would be to be able to dim it right down to nothing. I drive a lot on dark highways with no lighting and dimming the screen and dash to the lowest level is still too bright for me.

18. andrewket

andrewket 2014 S P85DL, 2016 X P90DL (soon 100)

Look at the drive-in FAQ. Put the car into neutral and set the parking brake. You won't have to keep waking up the car. Regarding the screens, I just bring some towels.

19. tezzla

tezzla Member

20. AmpedRealtor

AmpedRealtor Active Member

A web page for a blank screen will not dim the backlight. Even a perfectly black screen will appear as a glowing grey due to backlight bleed. There needs to be a way to turn off the backlight on both displays.