Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there a way to turn touch screen off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to turn touchscreen off to wipe it clean. Is there a way to do this? I tried powering car off from touchscreen, but as soon as I started to clean it it came back on.

Yes there is a way...Select Controls and then Displays and then Clean mode...to exit clean mode press on screen for 3 secs...

Very easy to do...

I also suggest that you buy a 17 inch cover screen to protect it from scratches from day to day use

Yes there is a way...Select Controls and then Displays and then Clean mode...to exit clean mode press on screen for 3 secs...

Very easy to do...

I also suggest that you buy a 17 inch cover screen to protect it from scratches from day to day use

Just a note to others through that this does not turn off the 17" screen, but merely locks it so you can clean it. Accomplishes the goal, but if someone were to read this wanting to turn off the 17" for a different reason (say napping in the Model S at night), then this is NOT the answer.

Again, this is the right answer to Matias's goal, it just doesn't turn off the 17" screen in case someone gets here via search for different reasons to turn of the 17".

Just a note to others through that this does not turn off the 17" screen, but merely locks it so you can clean it. Accomplishes the goal, but if someone were to read this wanting to turn off the 17" for a different reason (say napping in the Model S at night), then this is NOT the answer.

Again, this is the right answer to Matias's goal, it just doesn't turn off the 17" screen in case someone gets here via search for different reasons to turn of the 17".

The title of thread needs to be changed to "Is there a way to lock touchscreen to enable cleaning"

Since it is obvious that a lot of people don't know how to clean their screen with the screen on, let me tell you how.

The screen is responding to the finger touching it, albeit through a piece of cloth.

If you double or quadruple the cloth (and maybe use a thicker microfiber towel), the screen won't react, and you can wipe off fingerprints while it is on. I clean mine several times a drive. My wife uses hand lotion, which is maybe more fingerprint-y than plain fingers, but the screen certainly needs several sessions every time we use NAV.

My screen is pretty much fingerprint free all the time. I use a black, thick microfiber cloth the size of a washcloth, and toss it in the laundry every week.

Good luck.

Since it is obvious that a lot of people don't know how to clean their screen with the screen on, let me tell you how.

The screen is responding to the finger touching it, albeit through a piece of cloth.

If you double or quadruple the cloth (and maybe use a thicker microfiber towel), the screen won't react, and you can wipe off fingerprints while it is on. I clean mine several times a drive. My wife uses hand lotion, which is maybe more fingerprint-y than plain fingers, but the screen certainly needs several sessions every time we use NAV.

I do this too. Actually, I haven't gotten into the habit of using the cleaning mode because it wasn't available when I got my car. :) A screen protector really helps reduce the fingerprints (and the bubbles wen't away after 18 months or so--I suck at putting screen protectors on).

Perfect example of a reason to be able to turn the touch screen off while sitting in the car. (Old tech vs. New) My wife and I were at a drive-in this past weekend and we had to use cleaning mode to dim the touch screen to the max, but of course that does not change the dash. Kind of annoying to have to sit through 3 movies, making sure we touched the screen enough to keep the car "on". The plus is, we saw 3 newer full length movies for $10 each and sat in the air conditioning. The real hard part was eating popcorn in the car.

Perfect example of a reason to be able to turn the touch screen off while sitting in the car. (Old tech vs. New) My wife and I were at a drive-in this past weekend and we had to use cleaning mode to dim the touch screen to the max, but of course that does not change the dash. Kind of annoying to have to sit through 3 movies, making sure we touched the screen enough to keep the car "on". The plus is, we saw 3 newer full length movies for $10 each and sat in the air conditioning. The real hard part was eating popcorn in the car.

Look at the drive-in FAQ. Put the car into neutral and set the parking brake. You won't have to keep waking up the car. Regarding the screens, I just bring some towels.