Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an easier way to see my stalkers in Sentry Mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a decent 128GB USB drive to store the TeslaCam and Sentry Mode videos, and with so much space I know it will be a long time to fill it up. I have taken it out to look at the videos once, but because I'm so forgetful what happens is that when I take it out, I always forget to bring it back to the car with me and plug it in, and I feel naked driving the rest of the time without a USB drive since I'm sure that the only time I need the TeslaCam will be the day I forget to plug in the drive.

Is there an easier way to view or retrieve the files from the USB drive without having to take it out and bring it inside the house to plug into a computer? The car has warned me several times, cheerfully in green font, when I get back in that the Sentry mode recorded something, but I haven't pulled out the USB drive to check it. Thanks in advance, TMC!

Reactions: Leewx
I have a SD card reader with a 128GB card and I use the USB to USB-C adapter that came with my S9+ (which I leave in the car) and just plug it into my phone. Then most of the time I watch them on the Teslacam/Sentry reviewer app (which is brilliant!) just sitting in the car. Works good for me.

I chatted with a Tesla Tech rep last week about Sentry Mode and he advised not to get a USB drive larger than 32GB. He said anything larger starts to "confuse" the processor and can cause trouble. Just sayin......

This sounds highly unlikely .. I've been happily running with a 256GB USB stick for some time. I think perhaps the tech is the thing that is "confused".

Reactions: PrGrPa
I chatted with a Tesla Tech rep last week about Sentry Mode and he advised not to get a USB drive larger than 32GB. He said anything larger starts to "confuse" the processor and can cause trouble. Just sayin......

That's a bunch of crap. Many people are using 256GB for the exact opposite reason. 32GB is just NOT enough when recording with the new rear camera for Sentry and/or DashCam.

Or you could get this and just view it in the car

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01AUKU1OO

And download TeslaCam app
Hi, Simon.
I have a Sandisk 256GB USB and an iPhone XR.
I purchased a "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" from Apple after reading an article about being able to view the Sentry Mode recordings in my car using my phone. The article recommended this particular "Lightning to USB 3 Camera Adapter" so I felt comfortable purchasing it, thinking this would work. Well, it did not work.
Unfortunately, after receiving this adapter, when plugging it into my phone, I got the message:
"Ultra Fit: This accessory requires too much power."
So, I wasted $50 on this adapter it seems.
I see that you recommended the Aukey USB C Adapter.
Even though I love technology and my Tesla, I am severely technically challenged when it comes to this particular issue.
That said, I did just purchase and download "SentryView: For Tesla Cars" from the Apple App store.
Can you tell me how I would use the Aukey USB C Adapter and how I can use my phone to view what is recorded on the USB drive?
Thanks in advance!

Last edited: