Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an Energy-producing (almost) fabric car cover already being produced??

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes to all the negative statements about inefficient and durability...
But come on, how hard could it be? Make a "plastic-coated" car cover that can create electricity. And then see how far off road someone can goooo.
Or just use ot to power up the car/truck/whatever you got.

Hybrid Solar Electric Cars : Refueling With The Sun

The Model S consumes about 0.28 kilowatt hours per mile, so a vehicle mounted solar array would generate an average of about 35 miles per sunny day or 12,700 miles per year (using modules rated at 24% efficiency), well in line with average commute distances.

Cybertruck is larger surface area, but also larger energy usage.
So : ~30 miles per day if you slathered the vehicle with panels, or ~15 miles per day of range with just the rear cover area.

Hybrid Solar Electric Cars : Refueling With The Sun

Cybertruck is larger surface area, but also larger energy usage.
So : ~30 miles per day if you slathered the vehicle with panels, or ~15 miles per day of range with just the rear cover area.

That is the biggest part. If you want surface area to charge with, your house is a much better option to put it. It's larger and can accommodate much larger simpler panels, it's usually not doing 80 mph behind a semi throwing rocks at it, and it can charge other things if you aren't driving that day. Adding a bit of weight in panels won't decrease your homes efficiency. It is tough to get the costs somewhere where it would be realistic for a vehicle.

Lets say you got the 15 miles on sunny days by parking outside all day every day, and that adds up to 300 days a year for you. Ok, you got yourself 4500 miles of range that year. Figure the 3-5 cents a mile for charging costs... that's $180 bucks a year you are saving. So if they can install and reliably protect it so it doesn't cost you repairs, and if they can keep it around $2000 (And that's a huge IF on the price to cover the back half of the vehicle with it, design it, warranty it, make their profit, etc...), you'd be seeing a return on investment only after 11 years of ownership, or sometime around 2034 if you are in front and getting one of the first ones. And just a little weight addition there might have you looking even longer. 12 years is a non-starter for me for return on investment on a vehicle. Heck, half that is not where I'd want it to be and I tend to hold onto vehicles longer than most.

To me, that's kinda going away from the Tesla plan of making design features that people want where they aren't having to give up practicality and ease of life to get them. I want to be able to park my car indoors when I'm not using it, or use the covered parking at work rather than out in the sun. I want to be able to pick the shady spot next to the building.

Just my thoughts...

Reactions: SmartElectric
Figure a solar panel collects 10 watts per square meter, averaged 24/7/365. (Night, snow, weather, angles, shadows, efficiencies, etc all considered.)

The solar bed cover & variants are basically to:
- ensure constant trickle charging to keep battery happy
- provide “self charging” for emergency use, a few miles of use daily even if all power sources unavailable (“the best in zombie apocalypse technology” - Musk).

Like a spare tire, something that doesn’t really amortize well, but you’ll pay near any price for it when needed.

• Disagree
Reactions: SmartElectric
Figure a solar panel collects 10 watts per square meter, averaged 24/7/365. (Night, snow, weather, angles, shadows, efficiencies, etc all considered.)

The solar bed cover & variants are basically to:
- ensure constant trickle charging to keep battery happy
- provide “self charging” for emergency use, a few miles of use daily even if all power sources unavailable (“the best in zombie apocalypse technology” - Musk).

Like a spare tire, something that doesn’t really amortize well, but you’ll pay near any price for it when needed.

why de rate it so much? Solar intensity (at the surface of the earth ;-) is around 1000 W/m^2. At 20% efficiency, that’s 200 W per square meter useable power. Year-round average in the US is 4 hours of sunlight per day, so an average of 800 Wh per day per square meter. A 4 square meter fan fold contraption gets you to 3200 Wh per day. 10ish miles range? Not trivial.

Get the area up to 10 square meters (think 10’ x 10’ pop up canopy) and then you are really talking…

Last edited:
Reactions: mspohr