TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is there an official Hardware/Software changelog?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by khateeb15, Jun 29, 2020.

1. khateeb15

khateeb15 New Member

Hi, I have finally taken the decision to buy a Tesla Model X. However, I am confused whether I should buy a brand new Model X 2020 Long Range, or a used Model X 2017 P90D with the same specs I want (tyres, seats) that I found in the market. Buying the used one would save around £40k, I am not very fussed about buying brand new, I just don't want to miss out on features by buying an older model, especially that I am under the impression that are a lot of enhancements year to year. I have tried to gather some information to compare but there isn't a lot out there. My questions are:
    1- is there an official changelog (for both software/hardware) that would mention new features and other updates year to year.
    2- are there any software updates that exclusive for new models (Auto Pilot/full self-driving capability is a big part of my decision to go for Tesla). Or since autopilot is heavily reliant on software then old model are similar to new models since they all receive the same software (I believe newer ones will have slightly better specs).
    3- in Summary, what would I be missing if I buy 2016 model rather than 2020?

2. ShawnA

ShawnA Supporting Member

Hi khateeb15,

Welcome!!!

I do not believe there is an "official" change log...

What you would be getting in the 2020 over the 2017 would be:
    An MCU2 which is the media control infotainment center.
    It also renders the navigation maps.
    A larger 100 battery which could be a "G" revision which charges faster...
    New autopilot equipment - if you are interested in it - much better than 2017.
    One pedal driving because of the new motor since 2017.
    The new adaptive suspension - comments are positive about the new suspension.

From my memory,

Shawn

• Helpful x 1
  3. Akikiki

Akikiki A'-Lo-HA ! y'all

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. scottf200

scottf200 Active Member

I had a X P90D Sig and now have a X 100D. Aside from the excellent input above I would *absolutely* get the new one if the 40K does not affect your lifestyle/savings/retirement. The 100D is surprisingly much nicer on roadtrips. Shorter charging times and can oddly even skip some chargers that I couldn't before.
    Also most believe the battery chemistry is different in the 90 kWh S & X and that the degradation is faster. There are threads and articles about this. HTH

5. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

You definitely want a newer car (2018) since else you will soon be paying $2500 for the MCU 2 upgrade. It’s seriously night and day between MCU 1 and 2. Other advantages are as listed above. I had my X upgraded and it’s like a new car. About the only thing I’m missing is the ‘one pedal’ driving and for that a drive motor would need to be replaced. Probably not happening. :D