Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an option to turn off auto-window open?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’d like to prevent the windows from rolling down slightly when the door is opened. I’m assuming there isn’t, but just thought I’d ask.

This didn’t seem like a problem...until the first time I washed my car and then parked and got out....

pretty sure everyone on the planet has made the mistake of rolling down a window soon after a car wash before. Surprised Tesla engineers didn’t remember this bit :p

I’d like to prevent the windows from rolling down slightly when the door is opened. I’m assuming there isn’t, but just thought I’d ask....
(probably) All frameless window's lower when the door is opened to protect the seals and windows from stress.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    163 bytes · Views: 100
The windows roll down to clear the seals. If you use the emergency/mechanical door release that's available on the front doors, it won't roll down the window, but then you risk damaging the seals.
It rolls the window down now as well. (It was something they added in August or September of last year). The window has to roll down because the window rolls up under the chrome trim. Forcing to door open without the roll down will damage the brightwork (chrome trim).

It really shouldn't be a problem. If someone else is drying your car, they would have opened all the doors and clean the door sills. And when they closes the doors, they would know to dry the bottom of the windows. And if you are washing/drying the car yourself, you should do the same!

It really shouldn't be a problem. If someone else is drying your car, they would have opened all the doors and clean the door sills. And when they closes the doors, they would know to dry the bottom of the windows. And if you are washing/drying the car yourself, you should do the same!

not sure if you’ve ever washed a car before. The water drips down the sill into the mechanism below, which you can’t reach. When the window rolls down, it goes down into this area.

W/e tho. Just a minor nuisance I guess

not sure if you’ve ever washed a car before. The water drips down the sill into the mechanism below, which you can’t reach. When the window rolls down, it goes down into this area.

W/e tho. Just a minor nuisance I guess

Ah OCD! I thought you were annoyed at the water left at the bottom 1 inch of the window after you closed the door. Just don't think about it. At least you are in SoCal so the water is not going to freeze or cause things to rust.

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
I’d like to prevent the windows from rolling down slightly when the door is opened. I’m assuming there isn’t, but just thought I’d ask.

This didn’t seem like a problem...until the first time I washed my car and then parked and got out....

pretty sure everyone on the planet has made the mistake of rolling down a window soon after a car wash before. Surprised Tesla engineers didn’t remember this bit :p
It’s freezing, it’s snowy, it’s icy. I can’t imagine it’s good for my Tesla when the ice is preventing the windows to open automatically. When I open my car door to get my ice scraper, I witness the window struggling to open by breaking the hard ice. Any solutions??

It’s freezing, it’s snowy, it’s icy. I can’t imagine it’s good for my Tesla when the ice is preventing the windows to open automatically. When I open my car door to get my ice scraper, I witness the window struggling to open by breaking the hard ice. Any solutions??

To the windows not auto rolling down? No. the reasons are already in this thread, but if it didnt roll down, when you closed the door you would bang the window into the car. This is the design of frameless windows.

I have a 1985 Honda CRX with frameless windows and manual window cranks. It doesn't require the windows to be rolled down to open the doors, so it's not a hard and fast design requirement (and they've never leaked). It's just a Tesla design decision.
I had an '84 and an '88 Si, great little cars for their time. Around here, and probably even more so in TO, they've all rusted into dust.

The first-gen CRX didn't have windows that "tucked" under any solid door trim - they just fit flush against the upper door seal when closed. Honda quality being what it was back then, even after 160K miles those seals still kept water out.
You can zoom in and see the metal trim isn't close to the window at all.

Reactions: MLXXXp