Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an update on out of warranty battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempting to convince people to purchase Tesla, I been getting feedback from them that it is too costly to change a bad battery. I would like to give them assurances that it would not cost that much; i.e. over 10K+. What do you recommend that I say to would be buyers if battery replacement was not so expensive?

My experience was similar to what david posted above. 2013 S 85 with about 100k miles with a pack failure a couple months out of warranty. Was offered the 1088815-01-B pack for 10,500 plus 500 labor with a 4 year warranty. When I looked up the product number online it looks like this is a 2013 85kwh pack that has been refurbished.

I enquired about a newer pack but was told that would be 22k plus a suspension adjustment.

At the end I considered the outside repair shops but they are booked out for months and given I live in Portland OR it just didn't add up.
11k with loaner car during repair and 4 year warranty seemed better to me than approx 5k plus 3k shipping with no warranty plus not having a car for 2 months.

If I had to do it over again I probably would have sold my car with 1 year left on battery warranty. Live and learn.

I just feel really disappointed that I am paying 11k for an 8 year old 85kwh battery that will probably have the performance of a 70. Also frustrated that I am paying 11k for a used item but can't get any info about its past use, capacity, or performance. I just have to pay and cross my fingers that it will be a decent battery.

In the past when I briefly considered the possibility of needing a battery replacement, I assumed that 10-12k would get me a battery that would perform as well as mine did when it was new, or maybe better. Now I'm paying 11k to get a battery that I'm sure will have the batterygate/chargegate limitations that I have been dealing with for the past 2 years.

Upvote 0
My experience was similar to what david posted above. 2013 S 85 with about 100k miles with a pack failure a couple months out of warranty. Was offered the 1088815-01-B pack for 10,500 plus 500 labor with a 4 year warranty. When I looked up the product number online it looks like this is a 2013 85kwh pack that has been refurbished.

I enquired about a newer pack but was told that would be 22k plus a suspension adjustment.

At the end I considered the outside repair shops but they are booked out for months and given I live in Portland OR it just didn't add up.
11k with loaner car during repair and 4 year warranty seemed better to me than approx 5k plus 3k shipping with no warranty plus not having a car for 2 months.

If I had to do it over again I probably would have sold my car with 1 year left on battery warranty. Live and learn.

I just feel really disappointed that I am paying 11k for an 8 year old 85kwh battery that will probably have the performance of a 70. Also frustrated that I am paying 11k for a used item but can't get any info about its past use, capacity, or performance. I just have to pay and cross my fingers that it will be a decent battery.

In the past when I briefly considered the possibility of needing a battery replacement, I assumed that 10-12k would get me a battery that would perform as well as mine did when it was new, or maybe better. Now I'm paying 11k to get a battery that I'm sure will have the batterygate/chargegate limitations that I have been dealing with for the past 2 years.
Thanks for the update. Hope you get good pack. Did you consider keeping the old pack and asking how much tesla is charging for it?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update. Hope you get good pack. Did you consider keeping the old pack and asking how much tesla is charging for it?
I didn't ask. I understand that it is valuable in theory, but I don't have any way to transport or store a 1,000 lb battery, and I don't have the knowledge to mess with something that has enough voltage to kill me. Has anyone actually tried to sell a failed or used battery pack? Who bought it and what did you sell it for?

Upvote 0
Until Tesla does better, I do not recommend buying the cars if you care about sustainability or long term costs.
Well, I guess I care about long term costs, pretty much like everyone else, but I also care about driving the best electric car on the planet. I know of several Teslas with well over 100,000 miles on them (I sold a couple of them myself), and just like your suggestion of rebuilt engines for gas cars, one can also get rebuilt batteries for Teslas for well below the cost of new.

But generally, the car is not going to need a new battery for a while. With an 8-year warranty, that should come out to about 200,000 miles the way I drive. Of course, a gas car might be cheaper to drive, but look what you get. Your car HAS to be filled up at a gas pump, and most home garages don't have one of those, while most garages DO have electrical outlets which are able to recharge the car overnight when the rates are low. Since electrics go about 4 to 8 times further on the same energy as gas cars, that's a lot of cheap energy. I have not been to a gas station for over ten years, and I do not miss the standing in the rain and sleet and freezing cold to fill my tank. I also like having the heater already on when I get into the car instead of having to wait for the engine to heat up so the interior can get warm.

Upvote 0
I have a 2013 Model S85. Had it under extended warranty til last year. 80,000 miles. Battery’s about 15% degraded. I’m amazed how well it’s held up. How the whole car held up. Honestly, if I replaced the battery for $22k, and spent another $1500 on the new infotainment system, it’d almost be like I got a whole new Tesla. Actually doesn’t sound that bad to me!

Upvote 0
Absolutely, if you drive a lot of miles, the long term costs definitely favor Tesla even with poor battery replacement options.
And of course, driving 200k miles in 8 years is not normal. We probably shouldn't be aspiring to driving that much.
I think my post was about a good and transparent battery replacement (rebuilt) pathway, not about buying a gas car.

Stimyg - you might want to drive a new Tesla and see what you don't have....
Think about these things - 4 year battery warranty instead of 8 years, slower supercharging - perhaps much slower, suspension part fatigue, higher vampire drain, No safety features and ACC of new cars. AWD. Better suspension. Better interior - center bin, Seats!. 50% better range. 50% 0-60 time.
None of it is bad, but how would you feel if that $22k battery failed at 4 years? I mean it probably won't but just being pessimistic. That is way too big of a cost to drive for a older car.

Upvote 0
Yeah, those are all very good points. I'm still RWD so the AWD alone is big for me. And the safety features. And the larger battery. And everything else you mention. I guess my point is more to the fact that my Tesla, at almost 9 years old, still feels very very similar in major respects to new brand new Teslas. I know because I've driven newer cars as loaners. Whereas any typical ICE car, or maybe even EVs by other manufacturers, a 9 year old car feels ancient, and has the month after month repair bill to match.

I'm not saying nothing ever oes wrong on the Tesla - we've had a bunch of little things go wrong, and post-warranty we've had to pay for that - but it doesn't compare to a normal ICE car with the 10,000 things that can go wrong. And the idea that I could pay $22k and take care of about half of what I'd look for in a new Tesla is appealing...

But yeah, it'd be a hell of a lot more appealing at $5k!

Reactions: AustinP
Upvote 0
The problem with the pack repair for still thousands of $, is that although it may not cost what an all new pack or a refurb will cost, its a pack with limited life. Replacing the few modules that went too far out of tolerance is a short term fix. The other modules will follow soon if it's a high mileage pack. Even a Tesla refurb is just a repaired pack.

I am not sure that is the case...the other modules might last much longer. If an issue does come up I believe Tesla now will warranty refurbished packs for up to four years. This needs to be verified though. Tesla either has or is planning to launch the million+ mile main battery pack. The refurbished packs might already be benefiting from the improvements around this effort. All the better, because if there are no battery failures it will make their environmental image and PR better. Customers will also be happier of course (likely helping sales).

As mentioned previously, you have other lower-cost main battery repair options as follows:

Upvote 0
I am not sure that is the case...the other modules might last much longer. If an issue does come up I believe Tesla now will warranty refurbished packs for up to four years. This needs to be verified though. Tesla either has or is planning to launch the million+ mile main battery pack. The refurbished packs might already be benefiting from the improvements around this effort. All the better, because if there are no battery failures it will make their environmental image and PR better. Customers will also be happier of course (likely helping sales).

I've seen zero reports of refurbs being warrantied 4 years like a brand new pack. And what I mean is that even if you repair a failed module, the rest of the good modules still have limited life left. It's not like an internal combustion engine that has a single part break down but the rest of the internally lubricated parts are still unworn. The cross hatched cylinder honing on my SC400 was still present when I sold it with 334K miles on it. The engine made the same power at that mileage as when it was new, burned now oil, and there was no reason to believe it couldn't go on indefinitely with proper care.

Batteries have limited charge cycles so if you replace an S battery module that failed and all the remaining modules have had 400 charge cycles, you're still left with 100 or so max cycles left. LFP certainly lasts longer, like 2000 cycles, but even then it's a limited life no matter how well you treat it.

Upvote 0
I have a 2013 Model S85. Had it under extended warranty til last year. 80,000 miles. Battery’s about 15% degraded. I’m amazed how well it’s held up. How the whole car held up. Honestly, if I replaced the battery for $22k, and spent another $1500 on the new infotainment system, it’d almost be like I got a whole new Tesla. Actually doesn’t sound that bad to me!
80% margin to Elon von Crook not that bad?

Upvote 0
David and DRasheed, if you please, update when you can. on your replacement battery experience and performance.

I am 80% sure I want to replace my 2013 MS 85 with a new MY, but contemplating instead replacement of my now out of warranty battery. It has 205 mile max range. I’m only now learning of this battery gate issue and suppose I’ve been victimized by that. My supercharging (still free!) is fairly slow. That being said, I still love my car and when it has newer tires, it still drives like a new car. I have a replacement center screen and got LTE with it and still get free data service. The old non leather seats are super comfortable, better than any car I’ve ever owned. A $10-12k battery replacement, if it had a 270 mile range and able to supercharge at a super rate would make the decision to move on a lot harder. FYI, I am also in Virginia.

Reactions: dfndr90 and AustinP
Upvote 0
David and DRasheed, if you please, update when you can. on your replacement battery experience and performance.

I am 80% sure I want to replace my 2013 MS 85 with a new MY, but contemplating instead replacement of my now out of warranty battery. It has 205 mile max range. I’m only now learning of this battery gate issue and suppose I’ve been victimized by that. My supercharging (still free!) is fairly slow. That being said, I still love my car and when it has newer tires, it still drives like a new car. I have a replacement center screen and got LTE with it and still get free data service. The old non leather seats are super comfortable, better than any car I’ve ever owned. A $10-12k battery replacement, if it had a 270 mile range and able to supercharge at a super rate would make the decision to move on a lot harder. FYI, I am also in Virginia.
My car has been sitting in service for 3+ weeks with no ETA for completion. I assume they are waiting on locating and transporting a replacement battery. But I'm cruising around in a loaner 90D so they can take as long as they want.

My expectation is that my $11k will get a battery that is similar to what I had before, specifically a batterygate/chargegate limited pack with a max range of approx 220 and slow supercharging. I inquired about a better battery and they said that would be 22k plus suspension adjustment.

If I was in your situation I would trade in my 85 for the Y asap, before the battery failed. I was quoted 9k trade in for my 2013 S with 100k miles with a dead battery, or 20k with a working battery (with possible adjustment based on condition). I wouldn't even consider paying 11k for a replacement battery that might not be much better than what you have. But obviously it's your money, you can do what you want.

I will be sure to update this thread when I get my car back with relevant details about battery performance.

Reactions: Plug Me In
Upvote 0
vroom quoted me $27,000 for my ‘14 S85 with 115k miles. This market is insane.

Very tempted to sell before battery warranty expires this summer, but not sure what to get. Everything’s so expensive right now. 11k for a remanufactured battery is probably my cheapest option.

Wife already has a new Y, so no point in 2 expensive cars…

Upvote 0
I called Gruber in Phoenix. She said the normal repair is less than $5000. She said they take care of shipping.
New place in Ocala called Electrified Garage says they do battery repair. Rich is associated with this place.
Mine is way out of warranty. I got a replacement remanufactured pack last year, but no warranty. I think if Gruber will repair packs at reasonable price with limited warranty it is a good deal. I just got my $1600 upgrade yesterday, both screens and MCU. It's really great. I've upgrade my brakes to drilled and slotted all 4. New 12volt. New front hubs. Mine is good to go another 200k miles 😊

Reactions: dfndr90
Upvote 1
Adding a data point for out of warranty battery replacement for those interested…2013 S85, 135k miles, $10,500 quote for remanufactured pack (1088815-01-B) plus 2hr labor ($380) plus tax ($630). With a 4yr/50k warranty, this won out for me over going a 3rd party repair.
I have a2013 p85+ with 71k miles that just went into “limp mode” limiting charging to 43% ?!? :( any advice? Thank you

Upvote 0
I have a2013 p85+ with 71k miles that just went into “limp mode” limiting charging to 43% ?!? :( any advice? Thank you

You should consider taking it to Tesla immediately. They may want you to pay for a repaired main pack. If so, request an option that would be less than $5k. Alternatives in that range are:

057tech.com
grubermotors.com
electrifiedgarage.com

Upvote 0

Please post what your actual range is after replacement

Upvote 0