Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there an update on out of warranty battery replacement cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Attempting to convince people to purchase Tesla, I been getting feedback from them that it is too costly to change a bad battery. I would like to give them assurances that it would not cost that much; i.e. over 10K+. What do you recommend that I say to would be buyers if battery replacement was not so expensive?

Silver string,. Battery pack failure is a crap shoot. I think main factors are weather and charging. I think keeping max daily charge to 75% , not lower than 25% seems to put less strain on pack. Also plugging it in every night helps as the owners manual says. Mine went 160k before a module died in pack. But I've super charged a thousand times and home charged everyday.

Attachments

• official.JPG
    official.JPG
    585.3 KB · Views: 134
Upvote 0
Silver string,. Battery pack failure is a crap shoot. I think main factors are weather and charging. I think keeping max daily charge to 75% , not lower than 25% seems to put less strain on pack. Also plugging it in every night helps as the owners manual says. Mine went 160k before a module died in pack. But I've super charged a thousand times and home charged everyday.
I’ll go with the crap shoot theory. (Hope I don’t jinx myself). I’m thinking regular use is actually better for the pack.

At 100k miles S90D (I bough the car 15 months ago at 70k). Have been tracking degradation with TeslaFi since I bought it. So I keep the car at 90% at home. Charge to 100 % just before leaving for my weekly drive to work but don’t leave it sit at that level. So far zero degradation. (Car was at 259 rated range when I got it and is still there).

Though anecdotal, I’m thinking the fact that I don’t let the pack sit at extremes (never let it sit below 20 or above 90), drive weekly from a high state (90-100) to a low state (15-20) is what’s keeping it even. Now at some point a brick in the pack is going to go soft, but not sure if it’s going to give a lot of warning

Upvote 0
My experience was similar to what david posted above. 2013 S 85 with about 100k miles with a pack failure a couple months out of warranty. Was offered the 1088815-01-B pack for 10,500 plus 500 labor with a 4 year warranty. When I looked up the product number online it looks like this is a 2013 85kwh pack that has been refurbished.

I enquired about a newer pack but was told that would be 22k plus a suspension adjustment.

At the end I considered the outside repair shops but they are booked out for months and given I live in Portland OR it just didn't add up.
11k with loaner car during repair and 4 year warranty seemed better to me than approx 5k plus 3k shipping with no warranty plus not having a car for 2 months.

If I had to do it over again I probably would have sold my car with 1 year left on battery warranty. Live and learn.

I just feel really disappointed that I am paying 11k for an 8 year old 85kwh battery that will probably have the performance of a 70. Also frustrated that I am paying 11k for a used item but can't get any info about its past use, capacity, or performance. I just have to pay and cross my fingers that it will be a decent battery.

In the past when I briefly considered the possibility of needing a battery replacement, I assumed that 10-12k would get me a battery that would perform as well as mine did when it was new, or maybe better. Now I'm paying 11k to get a battery that I'm sure will have the batterygate/chargegate limitations that I have been dealing with for the past 2 years.
I finally got my car back after 5 weeks in service. Replacement pack charges to 214 at 90%, which estimates out to about 238 full. That's a bit better than my old pack, which topped out around 218-220 recently. Not sure if things will change much after I drive it a while, can't imagine it will make any significant difference. Haven't tried to supercharge yet

Upvote 0
I finally got my car back after 5 weeks in service. Replacement pack charges to 214 at 90%, which estimates out to about 238 full. That's a bit better than my old pack, which topped out around 218-220 recently. Not sure if things will change much after I drive it a while, can't imagine it will make any significant difference. Haven't tried to supercharge yet
Do you have 19 or 21 inch rims? 238 isn't too bad with 4 year warranty, but if you were planning on keeping it $2500/year isn't horrible for maintenance cost. Not sure I'd want to spend $8000, $10000 or $22500 on my 2014. I am curious to see how the next 4 years go on a refurbished 2013 pack though.

Upvote 0
Attempting to convince people to purchase Tesla, I been getting feedback from them that it is too costly to change a bad battery. I would like to give them assurances that it would not cost that much; i.e. over 10K+. What do you recommend that I say to would be buyers if battery replacement was not so expensive?
I would seriously tell them to consider a lease. These cars are as much tech as they are cars so this way they get new ones every 36-40 months.

Upvote 0
Exactly why I'd never own a BMW. With 2 million+ miles of driving in 40 years, it's rare that I've kept a Toyota or Lexus with anything less than 300K miles before selling them and have never had a major repair with any of those products.
I wonder if this at least part of the reason that Toyota are starting later making battery EVs. Perhaps current battery tech is just not reliable and known enough for their liking yet so they are ploughing money into making their own solid state battery tech (which could be a real thing or pipedream, opinions vary massively). To be fair they may also be dragging their heels because of their investments in hydrogen and preference for the known quantity of ICE engineering.

Last edited:
Reactions: sorka
Upvote 0
I wonder if this at least part of the reason that Toyota are starting later making battery EVs. Perhaps current battery tech is just not reliable and known enough for their liking yet so they are ploughing money into making their own solid state battery tech (which could be a real thing or pipedream, opinions vary massively). To be fair they may also be dragging their heels because of their investments in hydrogen and preference for the known quantity of ICE engineering.

I'll bet it's a bit of all of the above.

Upvote 0
Electrified Garage quoted me a $16K replacement for a Model 3 LR pack.
Tesla should do this for free under warranty if your car has less than 120,000 miles (all Model 3s are less than 8 years old, which is the other requirement). If your car has more mileage than that, ask for a low cost Tesla repair option, investigation as to why the failure happened and what can be done to prevent future main battery failures. These other third-party companies can help also...I've seen prices close to or possibly lower than $5k:

057tech.com

grubermotors.com

Upvote 0
My pack was replaced with REMANUFACTURED pack under warranty. I asked about warranty now?? He said Zero. My normal warranty ran out 2 months later. I called Gruber in Phoenix, lady said they would repair pack for less than 5k if this pack goes bad again. They replace the bad module. With 24 month warranty.

Upvote 0
Really hoped by now, that '13 and '14 (this year's warranty expiries) owners would pioneer the way, but battery solutions look undecided. Options for aged, partial refurbs, or the alternative $~20k (w/o history?) from Tesla is all we have? Service plans (aka W057) are clever, but not something I'd guess many would lean on; too small a business to assume the role of insurer.

Is there any hope for those of us with tools/lifts/etc., buying used packs, possibly from dismantled cars whose histories are known, then bolting them on in little more than 10X the time it would take Tesla to speed change a pack? My hope is shops develop more "a la carte" ways, with known solutions; solutions including 100KWh packs in older cars, like Mr. Hughes P85D.

Things still feel like they're just getting going. 22k 2013's, then 35k 2014s (global) come off 8-year warranties this year. We still have to see what Tesla does in CARB states, where the law says 10, not 8, years of coverage. If someone tests this, do they honor, etc., etc.?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
We still have to see what Tesla does in CARB states, where the law says 10, not 8, years of coverage. If someone tests this, do they honor, etc., etc.?

CARB regulations only require 10 year / 150k battery warranties for PZEV vehicles - i.e. plug-in hybrids. They do not currently apply to BEVs.

New rules are being proposed for 2026 and later to change that.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and 3mp_kwh
Upvote 0
Adding a data point for out of warranty battery replacement for those interested…2013 S85, 135k miles, $10,500 quote for remanufactured pack (1088815-01-B) plus 2hr labor ($380) plus tax ($630). With a 4yr/50k warranty, this won out for me over going a 3rd party repair.
Finally! After 4 months (of driving a loaner, so no complaints here) the battery replacement is complete. Didn’t help the first battery installed failed during installation so they had to order another. Interestingly, the loaner was a 2015 S with only 60k miles, yet it already had abysmal supercharging rates (something that didn’t happen to my old battery until ~100k.

The initial 100% charge is a shocking 292 miles rated (yes, I triple checked this was not ‘Ideal’ miles). The max rated charge I saw from the old battery in 2013 went from 275 initially to 265 in the first year, then slowly down to 237 before the failure at year 9.

I have a long trip planned tomorrow, so I’ll share initial supercharger performance info after.

Upvote 0
Finally! After 4 months (of driving a loaner, so no complaints here) the battery replacement is complete. Didn’t help the first battery installed failed during installation so they had to order another. Interestingly, the loaner was a 2015 S with only 60k miles, yet it already had abysmal supercharging rates (something that didn’t happen to my old battery until ~100k.

The initial 100% charge is a shocking 292 miles rated (yes, I triple checked this was not ‘Ideal’ miles). The max rated charge I saw from the old battery in 2013 went from 275 initially to 265 in the first year, then slowly down to 237 before the failure at year 9.

I have a long trip planned tomorrow, so I’ll share initial supercharger performance info after.
Nice. Try to get photo of pack underneath front passenger tire.

Reactions: aerodyne
Upvote 0