Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any downside to buy a showroom car directly?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I test drove today and found a MX with exactly the same configuration I want. The car looks great, and my sales rep told me that I get exactly the same warranty, the same fed and state incentive, and don't have to wait. The car has about 900+ miles on it and it has some showroom discount. The car was manufactured at the end of May, 2016.

Before I pull the trigger, I just want to ask around and see if there is any downside about buying a showroom car. It does have 900+ miles test drive milage but I really don't mind. It has the same config I want...

Thanks for your time.

Reactions: ModelX
Depends on you, if it is a test drive car then not too bad. If it is a showroom car literally then I'd advice against it. Just go into the showroom during peak hours and watch how people treat them. Constantly playing and messing with stuff. Tesla will go through it and make it the best they can but it can be rough.

Drive cars are better, but also remember the same thing above. 900 miles is also quite a bit when it comes to a new car. Really though it comes down to how it is treated in the showroom.

Thanks for the info - it is a test drive car. I don't see any wear and tear - honestly I am not that tidy neither so it would be exactly what it will be like if I buy a new one ;) As long as there is no manufacturing difference (which I can not imagine), 900 mile is nothing consider that I plan to drive this car for at least 100K miles...

We bought a fully loaded "inventory" 2015 P85D with 2,700 miles at a 11,600 discount that was sitting in the Mission Viejo Mall showroom in SoCal. Definitely no unusual wear on the seats or interior. It had a couple of minor blemishes on the wheels which Tesla's detailer corrected before we took delivery... and its been functionally flawless in the 15,000+ miles we put on it in our first year.

We'd buy another Tesla "inventory" car in a minute. BIG savings... and only about 2 weeks wait from order to delivery. :cool:

I agree with some that it depends on the person... for me I would buy Inventory Model S, but not X, mainly because they are still working out all the kinks on the X, now in a couple years, I think both S + X will be a great option as an Inventory car purchase

The "kinks" have been worked out. The car is far enough along the production recalibration line that you can feel confident driving it. What discount are they offering? You should also confirm in writing that you will get the income tax credit on it when you file next year.

Kind of depends on the production time and VIN. There are people reporting issues still with early VINs but the older and more recent VINs have been reported by people as being much better and previous quality issues gone.

Just some additional Model S experience -- I bought a mid-2013 15xxx VIN Inventory car in early 2014. It had 8000 miles on it. Except for a couple tiny rock chips in the hood, and a minor blemish on the interior, the car was "like new" when I got it. If you're talking about "working out the kinks", I suspect that recent Model X VINS are built to much higher standards than a mid-2013 15xxx Model S. And I've had very few problems with the car since then (and the few I had were all repaired under warranty).

So I personally see no downsides from buying an Inventory car, I'd do it again for sure.

i am picking up my second Tesla in a week. The first was my complete custom build P85 and i waited 2 months for it. I was speaking to the customer rep and mentioned that i liked the older body style better than the new production models. She recommended inventory models.
I'm getting way more car for the price i was going to pay for a 70 with out pano/ premium sound etc..
P90DL original priced at 135k - has 1500 miles - 28k discount + 1k referral + 1k loyalty bonus, plus Carmax offered me 5k more for my 2013 and i'm adding that bonus to the new car so my new car is costing me 100k!
I will tell you in a week if i made a mistake but for a 30k discount i doubt it!
Plus, as you mentioned, i still get the tax credits.

Showroom can be a low VIn # and presumably could have more quality issues over a newly ordered and built one. Now that they are "getting them right" off the assembly line, I'd want a Vin at least 13000.

I thought about getting one of the inventory cars that had a few miles on them. my issue with them, none matched the color, battery size and customization I liked. Most of the inventory cars are higher end cars because they want to show off the 90Ds and P90Ds in the showrooms.

Also the price difference wasn't much a difference. I think the biggest price difference was a few hundred dollars. which isn't much when you are buying an expensive 100 thousands dollars car.

Bringing this thread back to life! Had an order in for a custom build, and earlier this week got wind of a fully loaded P100D (missing only rear facing seats) that has been a demo car for three months, and was offered this for $126,000! Meaning a $20,000 discount off my car built in the configurator which was virtually identical. It has driven 7500 miles, so I was a bit hesitant about that, but $20,000 discount such a beast of a car was just TOO good to pass up! Would like to hear more personal experiences when buying demos cars, have a bit of anxiety about signs of wear and tear, but still thing it was a killer deal no matter what.... picking it up in 3 weeks :D

Reactions: HankLloydRight
Bringing this thread back to life! Had an order in for a custom build, and earlier this week got wind of a fully loaded P100D (missing only rear facing seats) that has been a demo car for three months, and was offered this for $126,000! Meaning a $20,000 discount off my car built in the configurator which was virtually identical. It has driven 7500 miles, so I was a bit hesitant about that, but $20,000 discount such a beast of a car was just TOO good to pass up! Would like to hear more personal experiences when buying demos cars, have a bit of anxiety about signs of wear and tear, but still thing it was a killer deal no matter what.... picking it up in 3 weeks :D

We bought our fully loaded "inventory" 2015 Model S P85D with 2,601 miles on it right off a local Tesla showroom floor. Got a great deal and discovered after taking delivery that it was one of the "unicorn" P85D's with the Plus suspension... and the "inventory" purchase agreement showed a High Power Wall Charger on the invoice so we got that too.

Here's our P85D in Tesla's Mission Viejo Mall showroom the morning it came on the market... when we bought it after doing a 5 minute inspection.

IMG_3285.JPG

We couldn't be happier with our discounted inventory "unicorn" P85D since its been very trouble free at 30,000 miles. Tesla even offers the $5,000 Ludicrous upgrade which I haven't done... but may if we got a $5,000 windfall.

IMHO I'd buy the "inventory" P100D you described... and enjoy it even more knowing you saved $20,000.

You'll enjoy it even more if you use my Tesla referral code My Tesla Referral Code since you'll get unlimited Supercharging AND a $1,000 credit toward their new Tesla... and my 1 year old grandson will REALLY enjoy the mini Tesla !!!

Reactions: P100D_OSLO