Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any free introductory supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think I know the answer but I want to make sure. Obviously the fee supercharging for life went away years ago. My question is, I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP and I want to know if there is any introductory charging that comes with it (like a month of free charging) or any other offer? I ask this because as many of you know, they certainly don’t go over all the benefits when you pick the car up. In my case my pickup was like “click” “click” “click” on the app and then “there you go, the car is yours, have fun”. Personally, while I like the quick experience, for those new to EVs, there is a ton to learn and get used to before you feel totally comfortable driving it. My wife is actually afraid to drive it, since it is an entirely different experience and layout.

They haven’t offered free supercharging for many years. What they had up until about September of 2021 was a referral program. If you used someone’s referral code you could get 1,000 free supercharger miles but that has been gone for nearly a year now.

I just used up the last of my referral supercharger credits yesterday (they were expiring this month).

With demand through the roof they aren’t including any extra perks that will increase the cost for Tesla. Another example is premium connectivity. They only include 30 days but last year 1 year was included.

Reactions: MP3Mike
When I took delivery in December 2020 I was able to supercharge for free on the delivery date but that was it. No more freebies. Luckily I still have premium connectivity for life (not my life though, just the car's life. Which might be longer than mine, who knows 🤪)
Likely a glitch on delivery day. As soon as delivery is accepted they charge you for using SC. I saw another post recently where someone was charged for using the SC before they even took delivery.

If you own a Tesla don’t expect any freebies and prepare yourself for the “Tesla Tax”.

It’s an awesome car though and the competition doesn’t really compare. It is also a wonderful community of owners.

Likely a glitch on delivery day. As soon as delivery is accepted they charge you for using SC. I saw another post recently where someone was charged for using the SC before they even took delivery.
Maybe, maybe not. I can't speak for others, but I did not get charged for using the SuC on delivery day of my M3 RWD in September 2018 and the M3 AWD in December 2020. Maybe I was just lucky. Ymmv.

I think I know the answer but I want to make sure. Obviously the fee supercharging for life went away years ago. My question is, I just took delivery of a 2022 MYP and I want to know if there is any introductory charging that comes with it (like a month of free charging) or any other offer? I ask this because as many of you know, they certainly don’t go over all the benefits when you pick the car up. In my case my pickup was like “click” “click” “click” on the app and then “there you go, the car is yours, have fun”. Personally, while I like the quick experience, for those new to EVs, there is a ton to learn and get used to before you feel totally comfortable driving it. My wife is actually afraid to drive it, since it is an entirely different experience and layout.
Supercharging won't work unless your have a current credit card set up on your Tesla account. I tested out using a Supercharger before taking a road trip. In my experience after Supercharging for perhaps a minute or so and ending the charging session I did not notice any charge on my account. I was only trying to confirm that Supercharging was working before my road trip.

I don’t understand the logic of tying a credit card to your Tesla account. Why can’t the Supercharger just accept and validate a credit card and let you charge.
Not sure if this is the case now, but back in the days, Supercharger will let you charge the car even if you don't have a credit card tied to your Tesla Account. What happened is people keep charging thinking it was free (didn't go online and look at all the bills pending up) and when they took their car into Tesla for service... got hit with a big bill.

I don’t understand the logic of tying a credit card to your Tesla account. Why can’t the Supercharger just accept and validate a credit card and let you charge.
Having the opportunity to use a CCS adapter at an Electrify America, this credit card swiping and fiddling with the app brings on a lot of undue stress. The biggest benefit charging on Tesla's Supercharging network is you just plug in and get back in your airconditioned car. With over 170,000 miles between our three teslas, I only remember just a few times that I had to move to another charger from a non working supercharger stall. They just work. EA and the like, work but it takes a lot of fiddling and moving between stalls.

Reactions: BnGrm and Rocky_H
No I am not joking. I don’t have a Tesla yet so how would I know. Since Tesla said they would open up their chargers to other brands I assumed they would just read a credit card at the charger and start charging. That would make more sense.
Oh, OK, sorry. I didn't realize you had just never seen one.

Yeah, they've never had any credit card readers, which is a great thing. Those have been an unreliable maintenance nightmare at many other brands' charging networks. As to opening up to other brands of cars, they still will not be installing any physical credit card readers. They had already described how this would work, and it has been in operation at some sites in Europe for most of this year already. It uses the mobile Tesla app on the phone. People will still need to set up an account on the Tesla site and put credit card info in there. And then when they pull up to a Supercharger site, they open the app on the phone, select while stall they want to activate, and then plug in the car.

• Helpful
Reactions: Need
Oh, OK, sorry. I didn't realize you had just never seen one.

Yeah, they've never had any credit card readers, which is a great thing. Those have been an unreliable maintenance nightmare at many other brands' charging networks. As to opening up to other brands of cars, they still will not be installing any physical credit card readers. They had already described how this would work, and it has been in operation at some sites in Europe for most of this year already. It uses the mobile Tesla app on the phone. People will still need to set up an account on the Tesla site and put credit card info in there. And then when they pull up to a Supercharger site, they open the app on the phone, select while stall they want to activate, and then plug in the car.
Thanks for the good description. I am learning a lot here.