Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any kind of recommended "break-in" steps?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know with ICE cars some people recommend to drive it easy the first 1000 miles and do an oil change after that. Some also recommend to bed the brakes (stop very hard a few times).

Is there anything like that for Model 3 or Tesla's in general? Like should we avoid doing a full 100% charge for a period of time (or immediately do one?) or drive it easy in the beginning?

If there is, then I don't know about it. As you know with ICE cars, the main reason for a recommended break-in period is because of the transmission and engine, which of course the Tesla doesn't have :D

As for charging, in general I would not charge to 100% unless you are immediately going out on a long trip. Even then, I only charge to 90-95% and I try to not let it get below 20%. There are a lot of varying opinions about this. Just from an electronics engineering perspective, I don't go outside those numbers.

Reactions: Shygar and vrykolas
Haha thanks. I assumed as much. I plan on not charging over 80 or 90% on a regular basis, but just thinking I want to charge to 100% when I first get the car to make sure it shows at least 310 miles of range. Just wasn't sure if I should be charging and discharging the battery a few times before doing that, sounds like there's no need for any kind of break in, which is what I suspected.

Haha thanks. I assumed as much. I plan on not charging over 80 or 90% on a regular basis, but just thinking I want to charge to 100% when I first get the car to make sure it shows at least 310 miles of range. Just wasn't sure if I should be charging and discharging the battery a few times before doing that, sounds like there's no need for any kind of break in, which is what I suspected.
No. Just enjoy your car and let the battery management system manage the battery.

Tirerack recommends 500 miles for tires.

Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together.

Sound like you are buying the 100. "At Least 310 miles" on the first charge? Well that might be a stretch. 300 or more is likely, but don't be surprised that after a few months if it drops to 290-295 on a full charge.

Tirerack recommends 500 miles for tires.

Some of the lubricant stays on the surface of your tires, reducing traction until it is worn away. Five hundred miles of easy acceleration, cornering and braking will allow the mold release lubricant to wear off, allowing the other tire components to begin working together.

500 miles seems like a fairly extreme CYA number...but I suppose that's the world we live in.
Just use your head and enjoy.

Hey, if there is a break in process please put it in here for all of us rather than keep it to private message. I would really like to know about it. I have a lot of driving I need to do when I get this car and will need to know how long to wait before road trips.
They were joking (meaning they would break it in for them). No break in process/period. Get it and enjoy!

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H