Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any way to get a notification from Tesla that the battery is fully charged?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Long time lurker and first post. I was curious if there is any way to get a notification on my phone via the Tesla app or a third party app that the battery is fully charged? Reason I ask is that I am on an export program with my utility that pays peanuts for exported power. I would like to have the ability to start charging one of my two EVs once the battery is fully charged so I don't "waste" any of my PV production. I can do this from home or remotely if not home as long as one EV is plugged in and at home.

Or better yet if there is a device that automagically starts charging my EV when PV is exporting to the grid. I understand there are a couple inverters that can do this but I have an existing 2-Powerwall PV system w/Enphase. Thank you in advance.

Reactions: Scubamikey
Thank you for the suggestion. Sadly, I don't have a compatible charger or Tesla vehicle. This is what is stated on their website -

Compatible EVs and Chargers
To use Charge HQ, you must have a supported EV OR a supported smart charger.

EVs:

Tesla - any model.
Wall chargers (combined with any make/model EV) is one of:

ABB Terra AC
Keba KeContact P30 x-series
MG ChargeHub
Ocular IQ
Schneider EV Link
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
Zj Beny (OCPP models)

Thank you for the suggestion. Sadly, I don't have a compatible charger or Tesla vehicle. This is what is stated on their website -

Compatible EVs and Chargers
To use Charge HQ, you must have a supported EV OR a supported smart charger.

EVs:

Tesla - any model.
Wall chargers (combined with any make/model EV) is one of:

ABB Terra AC
Keba KeContact P30 x-series
MG ChargeHub
Ocular IQ
Schneider EV Link
Wallbox Pulsar Plus
Zj Beny (OCPP models)
Unfortunately there isn't really any good turn key solutions then. If you are handy with python you could probably program something with pypowerwall. Otherwise I've heard people using hubitat to monitor and control the powerwalls and you might be able to enable actions based on the SOC but I haven't looked into it.

For example:

Maybe Emporia? Not familiar with them, but I've seen their name tossed around for stuff like that (charge on excess solar).

Solar only EV Charging

Pair the Emporia EV Charger with an Emporia Gen 2 Vue or Vue: Utility Connect Energy Monitor to automatically charge only when you are producing excess solar. Charging is turned on and the charge rate is increased until the generation is optimally consumed ⁠— lowering the impact on your energy bill and making sure you get the most out of your solar panels.

I do this with Hubitat and the Tesla integration app. It triggers at 99% since the API doesn't match the Tesla App % exactly, but the charging rate is below 1KW then anyway.

Screenshot 2023-01-13 at 11.08.26 AM.png

Reactions: yblaser
Maybe Emporia? Not familiar with them, but I've seen their name tossed around for stuff like that (charge on excess solar).

Solar only EV Charging

Pair the Emporia EV Charger with an Emporia Gen 2 Vue or Vue: Utility Connect Energy Monitor to automatically charge only when you are producing excess solar. Charging is turned on and the charge rate is increased until the generation is optimally consumed ⁠— lowering the impact on your energy bill and making sure you get the most out of your solar panels.

Thank you. But I specifically want the PV to charge the EV only when the Powerwall batteries are fully charged. It's not clear if it can charge only when the batteries are full or if the EV will charge whenever there is excess PV above what the house is consuming. I will try to reach out to them to see what they say.

Unfortunately there isn't really any good turn key solutions then. If you are handy with python you could probably program something with pypowerwall. Otherwise I've heard people using hubitat to monitor and control the powerwalls and you might be able to enable actions based on the SOC but I haven't looked into it.

For example:
Thank you. I noticed the Wallbox Pulsar Plus is on the list. I'm not sure if I should buy the Emporia or the Wallbox Pulsar Plus. Seems the Emporia has everything built in to charge directly from solar but the Wallbox would require intergration with the third party app. Assuming Emporia would be the better option.

Thanks @tomuo . I took the plunge and purchased Hubitat and got it to work with Darwin's app. It does what I need it to do so far, but Hubitat is new to me so I'll have to do a bit of reading to better understand drdshell's vs Darwin in terms of capabilities. Skimming drdshell's code, I see a larger number of attributes available which I'll def explore. I'm not sure if I can run both Hubitat "apps" simultaneously as Darwin's is working for my simple use case to top off the battery.

I started a Hubitat thread below to share my journey down this road.