TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is there any way to reset MCU without scroll wheel?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by Chopr147, Jul 29, 2018.

1. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

My issue is the scroll wheels were intermittent for a while but now they don't work at all. Manual only shows the scroll wheel reset option. I was wondering if there was another way. I know there must be but..................
    I'd prefer not to make a service appointment just for this issue. (Maybe wait for more problems) :)
    This is annoying. I use them all the time

2. dennis_d

dennis_d Member

take it to SC, the only way to reboot it at this point is to pull 12v power

3. Snowstorm

Snowstorm Member

If your scroll wheels don’t work, then it is worth the appointment to get them fixed. If you live far from the sc, to hen they may send a ranger out

4. animorph

animorph Member

I thought selecting Power Off in the UI, waiting 5 minutes, and pressing the brake was an alternate that would reset everything. No scroll wheels required.

• Informative x 1
  5. P85_DA

P85_DA Supporting Member

Correct that reboots as well

6. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

OK Thank you. Did not know that. I made an appointment for mobile service next week. I'll report back. Tech did say this has been an issue and most likely the "whole unit" will be replaced. I'm not sure what that means but i'll find out next week :)

Sorry, looked further on my tire replacement receipt and it states: "Found replacement of airbag assembly with controls is required"

PS: I am on 10 tires now since new at 31,500 miles. 4 original, replaced 2 at 15K and now replaced all 4 at 31K. Geez! Never spent so much on tires in my life :(

7. Chopr147

Chopr147 Active Member

Mobile service repaired on 8/9, replaced steering wheel airbag assembly with an upgraded leather one. All working fine now. I know many complaints have been lodged here on service but my experience in 2 years of ownership has been stellar. Granted I had a few issues,(nothing major) more than my wife's last three Lexus' combined but I went into this with an open mind. We all know Tesla's honeymoon is just about over service wise. . 5 stars from me though.

• Like x 2