Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there any way to search audio when listening to Bluetooth Audio?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I haven't been able to spend as much time with my car to date with work and the car being in shops getting ppf and window tint. When use the audio search function it only searches streaming sources even though I'm listening to bluetooth audio. Is there no way to search artists, albums, or playlists via bluetooth? It's kind of crazy I have to resort to using my phone while waiting at intersections to switch albums or artists while driving. Maybe I'm doing something wrong or is this the way it is?

If you are using Bluetooth, that is more or less a conduit for the audio, not a multi-functional two-way interface. You are describing something more along the lines of Android Auto or Car Play, which of course Tesla doesn't support. They provide various streaming services natively (as you've found) if you want that level of capability.

If you really want to use Bluetooth and your phone, what you can do, however, is use the phone's voice command capability (Ok Google, or Hey Siri) to provide the functionality you want.

How do you use the voice commands for bluetooth audio? When I tried that it again defaulted to streaming audio. The Tesla manual is very vague when it comes to voice commands and audio as it says to use "search for" which searches via streaming music. Many cars can index phone audio and display playlists, artists, albums, etc without CarPlay or Android Auto. I just don't understand why Tesla can't invest a little bit into the audio interface which is laughably bare bones.

How do you use the voice commands for bluetooth audio? When I tried that it again defaulted to streaming audio. The Tesla manual is very vague when it comes to voice commands and audio as it says to use "search for" which searches via streaming music. Many cars can index phone audio and display playlists, artists, albums, etc without CarPlay or Android Auto. I just don't understand why Tesla can't invest a little bit into the audio interface which is laughably bare bones.
That's a function of your phone. You are using the phone's voice command capability, not the car's. So you will need to use your phone's "wake word" ("Okay Google", "Hey Siri", ...) to communicate with the phone. DON'T use the car's voice command. As you've found out, that only searches its own streaming services.

No argument from me that Tesla's audio interface is not the best.

Reactions: heavyD