Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to force ONLY off-peak charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My off-peak rate is 7pm-7am where I live.

I've played around with both scheduled charging and scheduled departure. I've even used scheduled departure and only plugged in after 7pm.

Still, in my charge stats I see that about half my charging is during peak...

How can I turn this completely off? I have my charge limit to 80% but I don't need 80% every day. If it's 7am and I'm at 63% battery, that's totally fine for my usage. Is there anyway I can just say "only charge during 7pm-7am non-negotiable"?

Lower your charge limit then? Or charge more often?

What amperage are you charging at? 12 hours should be enough to go from near 0% to nearly full on a 240V outlet. How are you still at 63% at 7am if you plug in at 7pm?

I've gotten home at 3am with 15% and the charge limit was 80%. 4 hours wasn't enough apparently.

Firstly, I don't like the idea of constantly changing my charge limit every night. But even if I could, how do I know exactly what percentage to set it at?

There is a way, I forgot and don't have my Y yet but my old Model 3 let you do it. You want to do scheduled charging, then an off-peak button appears (?) but not use any of the pre-conditioning options. I had my car set to charge at only 12:30a-7a when it was at my home's location, and it worked great.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
So there is an off peak setting but the car assumes you want to prioritize range over all else (who wants to come out to a insufficiently charged car?) so it will override those time limits to try and get to your desired charge limit.

So if your off peak hours are 7pm-7am and your charge limit is set to 80% and the car thinks it needs 15 hours to get to 80%….

If you plug in at 5pm it will start charging immediately because it wants to get to 80% by 7am.

If you plug in at 7pm it will continue charging past 7am to try to get to 80%.

So the only current solution is to lower your daily charge limit to 60-70% and/or get a higher amperage charger that can charge you to 80% within the 12 hours of off peak. Or physically disconnect the charger at 7am. You said yourself at 7am it’s at 63% and that’s range enough for you, so why is your charge limit set to 80%?

So there is an off peak setting but the car assumes you want to prioritize range over all else (who wants to come out to a insufficiently charged car?) so it will override those time limits to try and get to your desired charge limit.

So if your off peak hours are 7pm-7am and your charge limit is set to 80% and the car thinks it needs 15 hours to get to 80%….

If you plug in at 5pm it will start charging immediately because it wants to get to 80% by 7am.

If you plug in at 7pm it will continue charging past 7am to try to get to 80%.

So the only current solution is to lower your daily charge limit to 60-70% and/or get a higher amperage charger that can charge you to 80% within the 12 hours of off peak. Or physically disconnect the charger at 7am. You said yourself at 7am it’s at 63% and that’s range enough for you, so why is your charge limit set to 80%?
OP doesn't specify the plug style/amperage/ etc. Assuming 230v is available. If you set the charge to start at 7:01pm it will charge to 100% by 7am.. If you're using 110v you'll need a lot longer.

Reactions: Rocky_H and E90alex
I'm totally confused about Tesla charging schedule setup.
With my Mach e, I setup a range, say 9pm - 9pm. As long as the car is plugged in within this range and below charging percentage it would charge.

I don't even know how Tesla schedule works. If I set to 9 pm, and I plug in at 10pm, it seems would wait until next 9pm?

My scheduled charging doesn’t even work. I have it set to my off-peak as well 11pm-6am. If I plug my car in at 930pm and my car is scheduled to start charging at 11pm my model y literally begins charging after about 10 minutes of sitting plugged it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
What amperage is your charger, what is your state of charge when you plug in, and what is your charge limit set to?

What does the estimated charge time say after you plug it in?

Under schedule - Enable scheduled charging. Mine is set to "Start charging at 12am" Works everytime.
How do you stop it from charging if it’s not got to the set %SOC? My continues on past off peak. I’ve played around and I can set a start but not a hard stop if it’s not reached the % SOC.

Example: I come home at 1am and I plug it in and there’s only 3 hours of off peak left. I want it to stop at 4am. Currently, I can’t find a way to do that.

Reactions: Depwraith
I'm leaving shortly for a road trip and wanted to depart at 100% but didn't want the car to sit at 100% all night. I had to start charging, see how long it would take to hit 100, then stop it from charging and set the "charge start" time (manually doing the math). It just seems silly.

Scheduled departure would've started charging right away. Not only does that leave the car sitting at a high SoC, in the winter the battery would be cold again by departure time.

It might even be that the setting exist to do this, but they're so confusing or ambiguous that it's hard to tell.

I'm leaving shortly for a road trip and wanted to depart at 100% but didn't want the car to sit at 100% all night. I had to start charging, see how long it would take to hit 100, then stop it from charging and set the "charge start" time (manually doing the math). It just seems silly.

Scheduled departure would've started charging right away. Not only does that leave the car sitting at a high SoC, in the winter the battery would be cold again by departure time.

It might even be that the setting exist to do this, but they're so confusing or ambiguous that it's hard to tell.
I don’t worry about mine sitting at 100% for a few hours. It’s when it’s constantly sat at 100%SOC that I strictly avoid.

Reactions: SO16
What amperage is your charger, what is your state of charge when you plug in, and what is your charge limit set to?

What does the estimated charge time say after you plug it in?
I am using a HPWC in my garage. Currently charge at 42 amp. I just tested this earlier to confirm. I set schedule to begin charging at 5:30pm. Charge limit is 85%. SoC when I plugged it in was 62% I’m attaching screen shots for reference.
D8764969-169C-4599-88F1-EE21875C30F1.jpeg4B64AB7B-4BFA-4E55-B30A-751D02945A26.jpeg10D29936-5B2E-43D2-8135-931CE966F304.png91CD1318-7620-4446-81C8-81A486589506.jpeg