Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to force ONLY off-peak charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Got my 2023 Y LR am playing around tesla charging.
Here is my desired situation :
1. Maintain SOC at 70%
2. My departure time is 8am every day

I would like to achieve these things
1. cabin preheat
2. battery precondition (i live in NC and not too cold but night temperatures are normally below or around 32F)
3. my SOC must remain 70% before i drive the car

I tried scheduling the departure time, cabin pre heat. what i observed is,
1. As soon as i plug in the charger, tesla started charging (my SOC was at 68%). this was prior day after i return from my work (around 5.30pm). with in few min i see 70% SOC (i have 48A charging station)
2. Around 7.35am today i saw in my app showing that pre heating cabin was started.
3. I assume battery pre conditioning might have started.. right ?
4. But i do see battery is not charging even though the charger is still connected (assuming SOC is still at 70% and car might be consuming from main battery to pre heat the cabin
5. Around 7.50am i see cabin temperatures are 70F
6. At 8.05am i took the car out from my garage. my SOC is 69%

what am i missing ? is tesla doesn't do charging while pre heating the cabin (internally doing pre conditioning the battery) ?
please suggest me the options i need to try out

Is an energy supplier in the U.K. they have an API to the Tesla app. It means they control charging the car and give super cheap per KW pricing. I set the level I want in the car and the app and they manage it. It’s worked really well and I don’t bother with the scheduling in the Tesla app.
i do have my own charging station by chargepoint where I can set schedule where charging station can allow only during the times i set . based on some previous post, looks like Tesla go into sleeping mode if it doesn't see electricity coming through the charging station. does octopus tries to wake up tesla from sleeping ?

Open Tesla app on your phone
Under charging enable scheduled charging and schedule departure time. Under climate set desired temperature. My Y is a warm 70degrees when I depart at 6 AM every morning with a 90% charge that my Gen 3 HPWC provides

Attachments

• Tesla Schedule Charging IMG_9562.jpg
    Tesla Schedule Charging IMG_9562.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 92
i do have my own charging station by chargepoint where I can set schedule where charging station can allow only during the times i set . based on some previous post, looks like Tesla go into sleeping mode if it doesn't see electricity coming through the charging station. does octopus tries to wake up tesla from sleeping ?
That behavior was fixed sometime in the last year or so. You can now use the timer in your EVSE without worrying that the car won't wake up to charge.

I don’t have Teslafi so I can’t be 100% sure on the car not being pinged. When I’m away from home Octopus doesn’t ping the car. It appears to only happen when plugged in to the home charger as it sets the scheduling for charging.

Got my 2023 Y LR am playing around tesla charging.
Here is my desired situation :
1. Maintain SOC at 70%
2. My departure time is 8am every day

I would like to achieve these things
1. cabin preheat
2. battery precondition (i live in NC and not too cold but night temperatures are normally below or around 32F)
3. my SOC must remain 70% before i drive the car

I tried scheduling the departure time, cabin pre heat. what i observed is,
1. As soon as i plug in the charger, tesla started charging (my SOC was at 68%). this was prior day after i return from my work (around 5.30pm). with in few min i see 70% SOC (i have 48A charging station)
2. Around 7.35am today i saw in my app showing that pre heating cabin was started.
3. I assume battery pre conditioning might have started.. right ?
4. But i do see battery is not charging even though the charger is still connected (assuming SOC is still at 70% and car might be consuming from main battery to pre heat the cabin
5. Around 7.50am i see cabin temperatures are 70F
6. At 8.05am i took the car out from my garage. my SOC is 69%

what am i missing ? is tesla doesn't do charging while pre heating the cabin (internally doing pre conditioning the battery) ?
please suggest me the options i need to try out
You can't use both Departure and Charge settings under the Scheduled part of the Tesla app.

The best way is to use Departure. Set your departure time to 8am, What you also must do is set the Off-Peak Charge to 8AM. Even if you don't have off peak rates you need to set this to the same time to make it work. Tesla explains this in the manual but it is confusing especially if you don't have off-peak rates.

If you set it like that and don't set anyting in the Charge page (leave Enable Scheduled Charging disabled) then the car will have the cabin ready to go at 7:45AM (it seems to always be 15mins prior to what you set) and it will start charging so that it finishes before 8AM. Typically I see it finish about 1/2hr early. That will have the battery warm and also won't have the car sitting at a higher SOC overnight as it would if it charges as soon as you get home in the evening. When you get home and plug in it will flash green lights on the wall connector for a second and then click back off to blue. It won't charge until the morning and will start at whatever time allows it to finish in time for your departure.

My off-peak rate is 7pm-7am where I live.

I've played around with both scheduled charging and scheduled departure. I've even used scheduled departure and only plugged in after 7pm.

Still, in my charge stats I see that about half my charging is during peak...

How can I turn this completely off? I have my charge limit to 80% but I don't need 80% every day. If it's 7am and I'm at 63% battery, that's totally fine for my usage. Is there anyway I can just say "only charge during 7pm-7am non-negotiable"?
I think you need a 3rd party app that will force the car to stop. I use Charge HQ, it directly controls the car charging. It gives time-of-charge priority, seems to work well and is (currently) free. With just Tesla software I use timed start and set the battery charge limit to stop. Sounds complicated but you soon get used to it. I have a 7kw electricity feed, it adds up to 35% charge to my MYLR in the 4 hour off peak slot I have.

I have a MS as well as a Bolt. The Bolt allows me to set two separate off peak periods. My peak use rates are between 6:00 and 9:00 both AM and PM, so the Bolt allows me to have the charging stop during those two periods of the day. My MS doesn't even allow me to start and stop for one of those periods! Why? How does Chevy's tech outperform Tesla in this area? This is a really bad look for Tesla.

I have a MS as well as a Bolt. The Bolt allows me to set two separate off peak periods. My peak use rates are between 6:00 and 9:00 both AM and PM, so the Bolt allows me to have the charging stop during those two periods of the day. My MS doesn't even allow me to start and stop for one of those periods! Why? How does Chevy's tech outperform Tesla in this area? This is a really bad look for Tesla.

My wifes Volt is the same way. GM did a good job on it.

Look at the Tesla phone app though. You can enter all the time periods just like on the GM on-screen menus. Then select off-peak charging. Maybe this will get you what you want.

It is useful to set the phone app times in any case, so that the charge stats will be accurate.