Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to force ONLY off-peak charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If the Tesla Model Y is plugged in using the Chargepoint Flex charging station but the Chargepoint is set to start charging later in the evening the Tesla Model Y may not begin charging at the expected time. The Tesla Model Y will enter sleep/deep sleep mode while parked unless one of the following settings is active for your Home location: Sentry Mode, Smart Standby* (a Full Self Driving setting). Just powering on the charging connection might not wake the Tesla Model Y from sleep mode. You can wake up the Tesla Model Y by opening any door or by unlocking the Tesla Model Y using the Tesla app. (When you use the Tesla Scheduled Charging setting, after you plug in the charging connector the Tesla Model Y will display a blinking blue light on the charge port indicating that charging is scheduled to begin at a later time.)

* Usually Tesla Model Y owners will set Sentry Mode to be OFF at the Home location as Sentry Mode, Summon Standby cause the Tesla Model Y to remain awake in standby mode. When the Tesla Model Y remains awake it will use 6 to 7% of the battery charge over 24 hours (that's a lot of overhead.) The Home, Work locations are set in the Tesla Navigation system.
Thanks. Just got the tesla Y LR in my hand.
I will play around with chargepoint flex and tesla scheduling. Luckily Y and I5 both accept ~12kwh and my evse hardwired with 60amp and i am good here..
Currently i dont need to schedule charging as such but i would like to know how it can be acheived for real use in the future

I understand that your Model Y starts charging immediately upon plugging in the Chargepoint charging connector fitted with the Tesla J1772 adapter. What happens when the Chargepoint charging station is set to start charging later that evening? Does the Model Y wake up (assuming the Model Y is in sleep mode) later on that evening to begin charging or remain in sleep mode, not start charging when the Chargepoint charging station is active?
Sorry if I wasn’t clear. It doesn’t matter when I plug in the MY, it will only start charging (and always does) during super-off peak hours as determined by my charger and it stops when the super off-peak period ends.

• Informative
Reactions: jcanoe
Not trying to be silly at all but wondering if this device (or old school ones) could help some of the folks who charge slower L1 speeds maximize their TOU off-peak window since I think that is main issue. Power would be switched off at time limit set. Yes silly Tesla hasnt implemented something similar already.

0667C5DB-6869-4D8E-8B4F-999736ABC483.jpeg

Car would probably say “charging interrupted” when time limit reached.

Not trying to be silly at all but wondering if this device (or old school ones) could help some of the folks who charge slower L1 speeds maximize their TOU off-peak window since I think that is main issue. Power would be switched off at time limit set. Yes silly Tesla hasnt implemented something similar already.

View attachment 897686
I use something like this now for my Leaf since it has been relegated to L1 charging since the MY arrived.

Not much of a concern when switching on but when switching off there would be possible arcing within the switch as 12 amps of current is interrupted. When disconnecting a power plug from a receptacle, essentially what is happening here, the charging connector should be unplugged first before removing the power plug from the receptacle. Halting charging within the vehicle settings, phone app or by squeezing the trigger button on the charging connector will signal the onboard charging unit to stop charging.

Reactions: Big Earl
The Tessie app looks like it would work well for this. Pricing seems reasonable. $5 per month. $50 per year. $200 for lifetime and unlimited vehicles. But it would be nice if the Tesla app could do it as well.

71EB7EEA-C50A-436C-8574-9684BC7D3B65.jpeg

Last edited:
Not much of a concern when switching on but when switching off there would be possible arcing within the switch as 12 amps of current is interrupted. When disconnecting a power plug from a receptacle, essentially what is happening here, the charging connector should be unplugged first before removing the power plug from the receptacle. Halting charging within the vehicle settings, phone app or by squeezing the trigger button on the charging connector will signal the onboard charging unit to stop charging.
Assuming it has the rating for the voltage and current and has the switching capability for those levels, it can handle it. There are other outdoor versions maybe more robust. We used to run old school rotary versions for our swimming pool pump. Cycled twice a day for 25 years without an issue. Again just need to make sure rated for voltage and current.

View attachment 897686
Well, it's a bit silly to be worrying about peak vs. off-peak rates and what you're paying for electricity in the first place if you're charging at 120V. The constant 15-20% overhead you're paying to run the computers (200-300W out of 1440W) is not at all an efficient allocation of resources. 120V charging should be used for emergencies and temporary use only.

Well, it's a bit silly to be worrying about peak vs. off-peak rates and what you're paying for electricity in the first place if you're charging at 120V. The constant 15-20% overhead you're paying to run the computers (200-300W out of 1440W) is not at all an efficient allocation of resources. 120V charging should be used for emergencies and temporary use only.
Thats true and good point. I made the jump to L2 very quickly as soon as graduated from a Volt to Tesla. Not sure if others have that ability to do that L2 jump due to circumstances (renters, parking situatjon etc). Long term, the minor investments to jump to L2 do have a slow but steady return on investment whether to maximize TOU or even the inefficient charging of L1. Not to mention piece of mind. I love coming home late night at low SOC from a long road trip and being able to charge sufficiently in a few hours to be ready for drive next morning for work.

Reactions: GSP
My ChargePoint charger delivers 32 amps and I think it is on an 80 amp circuit as the main panel shows two 40 amp breakers connected together. Can I run a Tesla Wall Charger on 40 amps? I know for max speed, it needs 50, but I'm wondering if I can split my existing (presumably 80 amp circuit) between my existing charger and a new TWC. Obviously, I'll need an electrician to confirm the capacity of that circuit.

My ChargePoint charger delivers 32 amps and I think it is on an 80 amp circuit as the main panel shows two 40 amp breakers connected together.

That's not an 80A circuit. It's a two-pole 40A breaker. When you see the number 40 twice, it's still 40A. The two handles attached together is just what they have to use for 240V circuits instead of 120V circuits.

Anyway, second question:
Can I run a Tesla Wall Charger on 40 amps?
Yes, the Tesla wall connector is kind of nice in being a variable setting device. You can select what size circuit it's on, and you have choices from 15A up to 60A.

You could split up that circuit you have, with putting a subpanel on the end of it, and splitting that in two breakers, but you only have 40A to work with, so it could split like 20 and 20. Except one of them is a Chargepoint, and most other brands don't let you change the setting of what size circuit it's on. So it's probably meant to use that whole 40A circuit, and that's it.

If you want to split and share that 40A circuit, though, the Tesla wall connectors are built with that kind of sharing functionality among themselves. So you would need to sell that Chargepoint and get a second Tesla wall connector, and then they could dynamically share with two cars plugged in, and they will make sure not to draw more than 32A combined.

• Helpful
Reactions: kman42 and GSP
My ChargePoint charger delivers 32 amps and I think it is on an 80 amp circuit as the main panel shows two 40 amp breakers connected together. Can I run a Tesla Wall Charger on 40 amps? I know for max speed, it needs 50, but I'm wondering if I can split my existing (presumably 80 amp circuit) between my existing charger and a new TWC. Obviously, I'll need an electrician to confirm the capacity of that circuit.
240V comes from what's called split phase power. The neutral is at 0 volts and there are two hot lines, each 120V with respect to neutral but 180° out of phase with each other (when one is positive, the other is negative by the same amount and vice versa). Taking power between these two hot wires gives you 240V. Every time you take power from a hot wire, it requires one breaker. 240V breakers are therefore 2 breakers tied together; current passes through both of them, in one and out the other (depending on which is positive and which is negative it can be in on #1 and out on #2 or out on #1 and in on #2). The reason they are tied together is that if either one trips, you want both to switch off so nothing is still energized.

Watch this video if you still don't understand what I'm saying. It might be easier to visualize if you see what's happening inside the panel:

See how this works? The busbars are arranged like the teeth of two combs coming together from both sides. A 240V breaker takes current from both busbars, one on the top and one on the bottom. Current generally comes back through the opposite busbar although it can also return via neutral as well (if your outlet is a NEMA 14 or NEMA 10 and has a neutral connector on it; dryers usually use 120V for the motor and 240V for the heating element). A 120V breaker takes current from only one busbar and returns it to neutral.

x1080

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: kman42
How do you stop it from charging if it’s not got to the set %SOC? My continues on past off peak. I’ve played around and I can set a start but not a hard stop if it’s not reached the % SOC.

Example: I come home at 1am and I plug it in and there’s only 3 hours of off peak left. I want it to stop at 4am. Currently, I can’t find a way to do that.
On my app, under Schedule, there is under "Departure" tab, an "Off-Peak charge" button, I set to 1 (on), and Off-Peak End Time, which you set to the end of your off-peak time (you would put 4am in your above example). It will not to major charging after that.

I turn "Enable Scheduled Charging" to "off".

You can choose either an end time, or a start time, but apparently not both simultaneously and require charging exclusively in that period.

Reactions: Undecided_2