Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to force ONLY off-peak charging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The problem is that if you then plug in at 8 pm, it will wait 23 hours to start charging. One has to explicitly tell the car to start charging.

Our Volt has a MUCH more sophisticated setup. You can basically program in the entire TOU schedule taking into account peak/part peak/off peak, weekday/weekend, and summer/winter times and dates. The car will automatically optimize for lowest cost and having it ready for you at your desired departure time. GM did a good job on it.
Ah that's not true, my car charges same night I plug it in. It's set to charge from 12am to 8am. Reading the quoted again, were you meaning if you plugged in past a scheduled start time?

And it doesn't need to know the price or cost structure, you just set it to your off peak time. Also the Tesla app will take whatever cost structure you input, TOU or whatever and it will spit out costs and statistics. But again the only important block is the off peak block, that's the only crucial info really.

Last edited:
Every time people bring this up, I still can't see why this is any issue. Since you don't want it to start until after the 4-7 PM time, you set it to start at 7:01 PM, and done. That does what you want.
What if I want to plug in at noon? So no, it doesn't do what I want. I guess what's so hard about telling the car or charger the exact hours I DON'T want to charge. I still don't know how/why people on here defend it or come up with excuses for an obvious oversight.

What if I want to plug in at noon? So no, it doesn't do what I want. I guess what's so hard about telling the car or charger the exact hours I DON'T want to charge. I still don't know how/why people on here defend it or come up with excuses for an obvious oversight.

Yeah, stop defending it people. It's definitely inadequate, and the little bit that is there is ambiguous to the point of not being useful.

Reactions: sfRonH and nBar5EV1
My scheduled charging doesn’t even work. I have it set to my off-peak as well 11pm-6am. If I plug my car in at 930pm and my car is scheduled to start charging at 11pm my model y literally begins charging after about 10 minutes of sitting plugged it. 🤷🏼‍♂️
Same here. It ignores my start time, even if it will only take 6 or 7 hrs and I am not leaving for 10hrs or more, it will start charging not long after I plug it in (10 minutes as well). I admit I've only noticed it when my SoC is <20%, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But I've even changed my departure time to 11am (off peak starts at midnight) and knowing it only needs 7hrs to charge, and it still will start charging before midnight (when I've set it to start charging). Really poor the way the scheduled/departure pages are set up. I agree you should be able to select 'charge to selected capacity regardless of TOU off peak schedule', and 'charge only during off peak regardless of SOC at time of charge start and charge end'. Any Android app that can override what Tesla's app is doing? I've loaded Optiwatt, but while it sees the Tesla, I don't see that I have any control to do anything in it.

Same here. It ignores my start time, even if it will only take 6 or 7 hrs and I am not leaving for 10hrs or more, it will start charging not long after I plug it in (10 minutes as well). I admit I've only noticed it when my SoC is <20%, so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. But I've even changed my departure time to 11am (off peak starts at midnight) and knowing it only needs 7hrs to charge, and it still will start charging before midnight (when I've set it to start charging). Really poor the way the scheduled/departure pages are set up. I agree you should be able to select 'charge to selected capacity regardless of TOU off peak schedule', and 'charge only during off peak regardless of SOC at time of charge start and charge end'. Any Android app that can override what Tesla's app is doing? I've loaded Optiwatt, but while it sees the Tesla, I don't see that I have any control to do anything in it.
When does your off peak time end? Since you only notice it <20% maybe it’s a built in battery longevity measure to start charging sooner since it’s not recommended to keep it too low to too high for long periods.

I’ve found that setting departure time has no effect on when it starts or stops charging. It’s only meant for preconditioning the cabin and battery.

I have not used the scheduled charging feature much since I have no TOU rates where I am.

I use the off peak charging setting and it seems to work reliably and aims to finish about 15 mins before the set end time in my experience.

Even though I have no TOU rates, I want it to finish charging and preconditioning at about the same time (so it doesn’t charge then cool off then have to warm the battery again) so I set off peak end and departure time to the same and it has worked for me. Doesn’t start charging until when it needs to in order to finish by the set time.

But there’s no setting for off peak *start* time and you cannot have both scheduled charging and off peak charging enabled. As long as your required charge time is less than the length of your off peak period, then setting just the off peak end time should result in your desired outcome. If you are charging daily, that likely shouldn’t be a problem. If you’re waiting to charge until the battery is low then it might not have enough time to charge only within off peak and will start sooner.

Just got my Y I am astonished I cannot default it to charge only during off-peak hours. My 11 year old Nissan Leaf does that just fine !

Having no way to charge in this manner without daily manual intervention is a real problem to customers like me who use standard household 110 or 240v charging - as well as costing more than necessary to run my Y it is damaging to the environment as off-peak hours utilize the cleanest electricity.

I am particularly disappointed that given Tesla can issue software updates this has not been remedied.

Just got my Y I am astonished I cannot default it to charge only during off-peak hours. My 11 year old Nissan Leaf does that just fine !

Having no way to charge in this manner without daily manual intervention is a real problem to customers like me who use standard household 110 or 240v charging - as well as costing more than necessary to run my Y it is damaging to the environment as off-peak hours utilize the cleanest electricity.

I am particularly disappointed that given Tesla can issue software updates this has not been remedied.

It is amazing the simple things that Tesla doesn't fix that they could, and the complex things they drive after when, well, nobody really cares. Our 2015 Kia Soul ev had a button that you could push to give you a one-time 100% charge. This is extremely useful when you're going to take a long trip. I suggested it to Tesla years ago, no movement.

I'm convinced this is all related to Elon Musk's belief that speaking with humans is a negative thing. He doesn't like to communicate except through a computer, and the entire company follows suit. They don't do what the customer wants, because they never ask their customer. They certainly never listen. Hopefully the company will continue to mature and a more emotionally advanced person will take the reins of day-to-day operations.

Love my vehicle, even Elon Musk! But, they need to see their own shortcomings.

This is a totally silly omission on Tesla’s part. ChargePoint has been doing it correctly for five years with my Leaf (and now my MY). Just tell it your electric plan and it will charge when plugged in during the cheapest times or you can start it with the app or simply by telling Siri if you need to charge during peak hours.

We have a three tiered plan in San Diego that changes on the weekends and in the spring. Normally, super off-peak is 12a-6a on weekdays and 12a-2p on weekends and holidays, but during the spring, it is 12a-6a and 12p-2p super off-peak. The charger just knows and it will charge my car whenever it is plugged in and it is cheap to do so. This is especially great on weekends when we go out in the morning to run errands. When we get home, it charges back up. It’s doubly great with the Leaf that is down to 65 miles of range as it basically doubles or triples how many miles we can drive it on the weekends with cheap electricity.

There is no excuse for Tesla not to use a similar system (at least as an option). They already have the code because you can tell the app your electricity plan to get accurate charging costs for both the car and your solar/powerwall system. There is really no defending teslas choice not to have this as an option.

Reactions: sfRonH
It is amazing the simple things that Tesla doesn't fix that they could, and the complex things they drive after when, well, nobody really cares. Our 2015 Kia Soul ev had a button that you could push to give you a one-time 100% charge. This is extremely useful when you're going to take a long trip. I suggested it to Tesla years ago, no movement.

I'm convinced this is all related to Elon Musk's belief that speaking with humans is a negative thing. He doesn't like to communicate except through a computer, and the entire company follows suit. They don't do what the customer wants, because they never ask their customer. They certainly never listen. Hopefully the company will continue to mature and a more emotionally advanced person will take the reins of day-to-day operations.

Love my vehicle, even Elon Musk! But, they need to see their own shortcomings.
Agreed. My ancient leaf had facility for a one off 100% charge

Reactions: henderrj
My off-peak rate is 7pm-7am where I live.

I've played around with both scheduled charging and scheduled departure. I've even used scheduled departure and only plugged in after 7pm.

Still, in my charge stats I see that about half my charging is during peak...

How can I turn this completely off? I have my charge limit to 80% but I don't need 80% every day. If it's 7am and I'm at 63% battery, that's totally fine for my usage. Is there anyway I can just say "only charge during 7pm-7am non-negotiable"?
You have a 12 hour off-peak window, which is great. I see two alternatives:

1) schedule charging to start at 7:00 pm, and install a sufficient charging circuit to finish before 7:00 AM even when arriving home at low SOC.

2) Install an EVSE that allows programming to prevent charging outside of your off peak window.

Best to concentrate on what you can control, instead of what Tesla should do, but probably won’t.

GSP

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
You have a 12 hour off-peak window, which is great. I see two alternatives:

1) schedule charging to start at 7:00 pm, and install a sufficient charging circuit to finish before 7:00 AM even when arriving home at low SOC.

2) Install an EVSE that allows programming to prevent charging outside of your off peak window.

Best to concentrate on what you can control, instead of what Tesla should do, but probably won’t.

GSP
Stating charge between 7pm and 7am, do not charge in any other times should be ... a default setting you can configure.

I was also concerned with the Tesla wall connector, but I understood these setbacks.

Coming from a Volt, the Tesla system is second rate, no question. But it's obvious Tesla doesn't care. Like the Charge Point, our Juice Box also solves the problem as can set the times not allowed to charge in it. The Juice Box app has a quick CHARGE NOW button if want to override. Those with the Tesla charger are stuck with an inferior solution given the terrible implementation In-Car if really want to avoid On Peak charging rates.

• Informative
Gone through most of the posts. looks to me Tesla might begin the charging as soon as for whatever reasons (80% charging limits, departure time etc..)
taking my first tesla Model Y LR after trade in the ID4 tomorrow
I do have charge point flex (hardwired 60A) where I can program where any vehicle can charge whatever the time..
Example : I can setup at Charge point flex to allow charge from 12am to 7am. No matter of what the car do, charge point will not allow the electricity
I am assuming my new model Y takes what is allowed through charging station (chargepoint flex)

is tesla wall charger/or any other charger with setup at app level doesn't work like above ?

Gone through most of the posts. looks to me Tesla might begin the charging as soon as for whatever reasons (80% charging limits, departure time etc..)
taking my first tesla Model Y LR after trade in the ID4 tomorrow
I do have charge point flex (hardwired 60A) where I can program where any vehicle can charge whatever the time..
Example : I can setup at Charge point flex to allow charge from 12am to 7am. No matter of what the car do, charge point will not allow the electricity
I am assuming my new model Y takes what is allowed through charging station (chargepoint flex)

is tesla wall charger/or any other charger with setup at app level doesn't work like above ?
Tesla charging options are set within the vehicle on the Charging screen or else in the Tesla app. You would need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that comes with the Model Y to use the Chargepoint Flex.

You may have to experiment to learn if there are any limits to letting the Chargepoint Flex control when charging begins and ends.

At a minimum you will want to set a daily charging limit (between 50% and 90%) from the Charging settings so that you always start the day with enough charge to meet your daily driving needs.

What you don't want to do is setup Scheduled Charging in both the Tesla settings and within the Chargepoint unit. Pick one to control when to start/stop charging and go with that until you find that you need to do something else.

If you set Scheduled Departure to be active the Tesla Model Y will automatically precondition the Tesla Model Y starting ~20 minutes before the planned departure time. This can be set for Monday through Friday or Every Day. The Tesla Model Y does not have to be plugged in or able to charge for the Preconditioning cycle to run as long as the battery state of charge is >= 20%.

• Helpful
Reactions: Rocky_H
Tesla charging options are set within the vehicle on the Charging screen or else in the Tesla app. You would need to use the Tesla SAE J1772 adapter that comes with the Model Y to use the Chargepoint Flex.

You may have to experiment to learn if there are any limits to letting the Chargepoint Flex control when charging begins and ends.

At a minimum you will want to set a daily charging limit (between 50% and 90%) from the Charging settings so that you always start the day with enough charge to meet your daily driving needs.

What you don't want to do is setup Scheduled Charging in both the Tesla settings and within the Chargepoint unit. Pick one to control when to start/stop charging and go with that until you find that you need to do something else.

If you set Scheduled Departure to be active the Tesla Model Y will automatically precondition the Tesla Model Y starting ~20 minutes before the planned departure time. This can be set for Monday through Friday or Every Day. The Tesla Model Y does not have to be plugged in or able to charge for the Preconditioning cycle to run as long as the battery state of charge is >= 20%.
thanks.. i will play around
As matter of fact, EV scheduling is one nut crack. I have Ioniq 5 and ID4 and both are in similar state and I couldn't able to get what I want. I was somehow thought Tesla will be in better situation and looks like Tesla is in same boat.. oh boy :)
I normally dont schedule the EV charging since I have EV charging stations at my work and I always plug in at work and my max is 70% and whenever i do charge at home I do only if i am awake (the GM stories )

thanks.. i will play around
As matter of fact, EV scheduling is one nut crack. I have Ioniq 5 and ID4 and both are in similar state and I couldn't able to get what I want. I was somehow thought Tesla will be in better situation and looks like Tesla is in same boat.. oh boy :)
I normally dont schedule the EV charging since I have EV charging stations at my work and I always plug in at work and my max is 70% and whenever i do charge at home I do only if i am awake (the GM stories )
If the Tesla Model Y is plugged in using the Chargepoint Flex charging station but the Chargepoint is set to start charging later in the evening the Tesla Model Y may not begin charging at the expected time. The Tesla Model Y will enter sleep/deep sleep mode while parked unless one of the following settings is active for your Home location: Sentry Mode, Smart Standby* (a Full Self Driving setting). Just powering on the charging connection might not wake the Tesla Model Y from sleep mode. You can wake up the Tesla Model Y by opening any door or by unlocking the Tesla Model Y using the Tesla app. (When you use the Tesla Scheduled Charging setting, after you plug in the charging connector the Tesla Model Y will display a blinking blue light on the charge port indicating that charging is scheduled to begin at a later time.)

* Usually Tesla Model Y owners will set Sentry Mode to be OFF at the Home location as Sentry Mode, Summon Standby cause the Tesla Model Y to remain awake in standby mode. When the Tesla Model Y remains awake it will use 6 to 7% of the battery charge over 24 hours (that's a lot of overhead.) The Home, Work locations are set in the Tesla Navigation system.

If the Tesla Model Y is plugged in using the Chargepoint Flex charging station but the Chargepoint is set to start charging later in the evening the Tesla Model Y may not begin charging at the expected time. The Tesla Model Y will enter sleep/deep sleep mode while parked unless one of the following settings is active for your Home location: Sentry Mode, Smart Standby* (a Full Self Driving setting). Just powering on the charging connection might not wake the Tesla Model Y from sleep mode. You can wake up the Tesla Model Y by opening any door or by unlocking the Tesla Model Y using the Tesla app. (When you use the Tesla Scheduled Charging setting, after you plug in the charging connector the Tesla Model Y will display a blinking blue light on the charge port indicating that charging is scheduled to begin at a later time.)

* Usually Tesla Model Y owners will set Sentry Mode to be OFF at the Home location as Sentry Mode, Summon Standby cause the Tesla Model Y to remain awake in standby mode. When the Tesla Model Y remains awake it will use 6 to 7% of the battery charge over 24 hours (that's a lot of overhead.) The Home, Work locations are set in the Tesla Navigation system.
Granted I’ve only had my MY for two months, but it has always charged using my ChargePoint charger. I don’t have sentry mode on at home.

This behavior has been remedied in more recent firmwares. I used to have to use the car's timer for this reason, but I now find the car will wake up to charge even if asleep in response to the EVSEs timer, and will also respond to the button on the handle without having to resort to opening a door, although you may have to hold it down for several seconds.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: GSP
Granted I’ve only had my MY for two months, but it has always charged using my ChargePoint charger. I don’t have sentry mode on at home.
I understand that your Model Y starts charging immediately upon plugging in the Chargepoint charging connector fitted with the Tesla J1772 adapter. What happens when the Chargepoint charging station is set to start charging later that evening? Does the Model Y wake up (assuming the Model Y is in sleep mode) later on that evening to begin charging or remain in sleep mode, not start charging when the Chargepoint charging station is active?

This behavior has been remedied in more recent firmwares. I used to have to use the car's timer for this reason, but I now find the car will wake up to charge even if asleep, and will also respond to the button on the handle without having to resort to opening a door, although you may have to hold it down for several seconds.
Was this with the Tesla Mobile Connector/Tesla Wall Connector or a non-Tesla charging station?