TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Is there anyway to get more performance out of a S90D?

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by BestRadar, Jan 13, 2017.

1. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

Just curious coming from vehicles with engines there were always tunes available, New headers, New intakes, etc. The cost of the S90D to the same equipped P100D was $40k and that was out of the question at the time I ordered it. Is there anything that can be done to squeeze anymore performance out of a S90D?

• Like x 1
  2. thimel

thimel Member

Here is the only case I know where someone made a major performance improvement to a Tesla: P85 modded to be a P85 w/Ludicrous.
    Not trivial to say the least.
    There are much more minor things you can do like getting lighter wheels.
    I'd suggest being happy with what you got. It is a great car. Enjoy it.

3. DIL

DIL Supporting Member

Add lightness: Delete that huge, heavy sunroof

4. wallet.dat

wallet.dat Member

K&N stickers are worth another 10hp I hear ;)

• Funny x 2
  5. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

You can have your entourage of people running along side you pushing the car as you go! LOL!

6. jmsurpri

jmsurpri Member

I think the power ramp of the 85D/90D is software limited. I bet Tesla could be a bit more aggressive and get our 0-60s down in the 3s reliably.

7. DHG.

DHG. Member

I'm In the exact same position $40k to go faster just not worth it. Granted you get red brake calipers though does the color red correspond to any performance difference? Maybe. And slightly different tires supposedly though it's hard to say cause Tesla won't tell you what tires come on the S90D with 21s. I mean the P90D was a thing so maybe it is just software.

8. Haxster

Haxster Member

It's my understanding that P versions actually have larger rear drive-motors than non-P D versions.

I also chose to save the $40K on my MS. I'm surprisingly pleased with the "fighter jet" acceleration of my 90D. I can live without "rocket ship" blast-off of a P100D.

• Like x 2
  9. JClu

JClu Member

@BestRadar Do you have the 90D you ordered yet? If not, you may find its performance plenty for everyday driving.
    If you do have the car, may I ask what you find lacking in its performance? Do you live in a neighborhood full of Porsche 918's?

• Funny x 2
  10. NikeWings

NikeWings Active Member

Upon notification that my car was in transit, I asked what my wheel set up was and was told exactly what to expect.

11. BestRadar

BestRadar Member

#11 BestRadar, Jan 14, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
    Yes, I have had it a few weeks already. In general I have no complaints with the 0-60 times in everyday driving. I personally always want to improve something as its in my nature to do so. I will be adding tint, wheels, painting door handles, wrapping chrome trim, adding front and rear AL Priority laser jammers, Front & Rear Net Radar radar sensors, etc. If a tune (hack) was available to remove some limitations it's something I would do to just get more performance. Every car I have ever had there were always ways to squeeze more HP, I am sure these not P Tesla's have more performance that could be unleashed.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  12. Haxster

Haxster Member

While you're at it, if you're getting the pano roof, don't forget to add a 007 passenger ejection seat.

13. mrElbe

mrElbe Active Member

I would recommend adding dual chrome exhaust tips.

• Like x 1
  14. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

• Like x 1
    • Funny x 1
  15. Tsportline

Tsportline Vendor