Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to prioritize solar for home and PWs before grid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While still on self powered mode, as soon as 3 pm hit, it started doing this. Now I have 3 pm set as the start of peak but ONLY in the time based mode. I suspect that self powered mode is being keyed off of the time settings in advanced mode. So I'll try this again tomorrow by going to self powered mode but make peak 24 hours.

Screenshot_20201203-150304_Tesla.jpg

While still on self powered mode, as soon as 3 pm hit, it started doing this. Now I have 3 pm set as the start of peak but ONLY in the time based mode. I suspect that self powered mode is being keyed off of the time settings in advanced mode. So I'll try this again tomorrow by going to self powered mode but make peak 24 hours.

View attachment 614264

your app may say self powered but it doesnt sound like your TEG is actually in self powered mode. There is no "switching off the grid during peak" in self powered mode in normal circumstances. I run in that mode exclusively and have for about a year.

i dont use time based controls at all, so am not that familiar with them other than reading here. I AM familiar with self powered though, and it does not "shut off at peak time at all, because there is no peak time in that mode.

Your TEG isnt changing modes, is what it looks like to me, even if the app says it is.

your app may say self powered but it doesnt sound like your TEG is actually in self powered mode. There is no "switching off the grid during peak" in self powered mode in normal circumstances. I run in that mode exclusively and have for about a year.

i dont use time based controls at all, so am not that familiar with them other than reading here. I AM familiar with self powered though, and it does not "shut off at peak time at all, because there is no peak time in that mode.

Your TEG isnt changing modes, is what it looks like to me, even if the app says it is.

Maybe it took a few hours to switch over and rather than it having anything to do with peak time at 3 pm, maybe it just happened to find take. I'll find out tomorrow when the sun comes back out.

As for PTO, my final inspection was complete on 10/23. Tesla had me sign the interconnection agreement form on 11/11. It was the wrong form and I told them so on the 11th. On the 12th, they submitted the incorrect form. On the 13th, PGE rejected it and sent Tesla and email asking them to resubmit. Tesla says they're still sorting out title 21 issues and they say it will be at least 6 more weeks before they submit the correct form. PG&E says it will take 4 to 6 weeks after (because it's a 3 PW system) before PTO is granted, so I'm looking at over 4 months from the date the county inspection passed to getting PTO *IF* everything goes according to what they say it will.
This sort of happened to me too back in Feb too. I already had 2 solar PTOs.

_what_?

Your system is installed and you're going to have to wait 3 months for PTO? That seems bonkers

Sunrun gave me a 3 month estimate for PTO as well... things are on my walls and roof now but the County Inspection probably won't be until 2021 due to the Holidays and the COVID sheltering that was just mandated. And I probably won't be using the PV and batteries until March 2021.

PG&E has a backlog of over 1 calendar month and that's assuming they don't poo-poo something during their inspection. Sunrun's experience in the Bay Area is approaching 45 calendar days on average since PG&E often finds something to change before PTO is granted. Then it's another 30 day wait to get PG&E back out to the home.

Just in time for that big rate increase coming in March!

@holeydonut Alameda or CC? CC came out within 5 days for me from my city.

Mines been powered on before inspection, turned off for the inspection, then immediately back on once I passed. Now waiting for pto and been using it every day. I already paid Tesla as well with credit card. Just waiting for PTO. I'm not sure what PG&E need to do on their end.

@holeydonut Alameda or CC? CC came out within 5 days for me from my city.

Mines been powered on before inspection, turned off for the inspection, then immediately back on once I passed. Now waiting for pto and been using it every day. I already paid Tesla as well with credit card. Just waiting for PTO. I'm not sure what PG&E need to do on their end.

CoCo here.

when did you get inspection and PTO? I think Covid and the red flag stuff is causing lots of delays.

This sort of happened to me too back in Feb too. I already had 2 solar PTOs.

2020 is the year that just keeps giving. Tesla Finished solar roof and PW install in early April. Final inspection late September due to CornaVirus shutdown and Tesla paperwork mix up. All summer ran the system in the morning, and manually shutoff inverters in the afternoon when cars were charged and PWs filled to minimize power pushed to grid.

@holeydonut install complete 11/27. Inspection 12/1 passed.
Waiting for PTO

Gotcha sorry I misread what you said before lol. I hope you get PTO soon. Sunrun actually let me pre-pay before PTO so I had an “installed” system before the ITC goes to 22%.

Sunrun actually re-designed my system in a way that seems to be incorrect. Both vines and Whitney here indicated putting backup home loads on the gateway’s internal panel board wasn’t a good idea.

So they need to re-submit for a permit “as built”. I believe that’s why they told me it’ll be a while until I can get an inspection.

Gotcha sorry I misread what you said before lol. I hope you get PTO soon. Sunrun actually let me pre-pay before PTO so I had an “installed” system before the ITC goes to 22%.

Sunrun actually re-designed my system in a way that seems to be incorrect. Both vines and Whitney here indicated putting backup home loads on the gateway’s internal panel board wasn’t a good idea.

So they need to re-submit for a permit “as built”. I believe that’s why they told me it’ll be a while until I can get an inspection.
Ya that's weird man. My gateway only has PV, and 2 breakers for the 2 PW. Rest is on another panel with a OCPD to the house circuits. All separate from the main disconnect which is on another panel

Ya that's weird man. My gateway only has PV, and 2 breakers for the 2 PW. Rest is on another panel with a OCPD to the house circuits. All separate from the main disconnect which is on another panel

I think their design engineer didn’t want to use a Quad 30A OCPD (I have 3 Powerwalls). The guys on the field will use whatever is in the truck lol. Corporate policies are super stubborn on this stuff.

Are you guys talking about this? My 3 PWs share 3 breaker locations. i.e. 2 powerwalls share a single breaker location with a 4 pole breaker. Is this a problem?

View attachment 615409

I would think that setup is fine. The quad 30 A is what both @Vines and @wwhitney recommended. Sunrun's design team just didn't want to use the Quad 30A; but the installer says he does it that way all the time.

I just think it's funny Tesla won't allow Sunrun to put those red stickers on the outside or inside of the Gateway 2.

• Informative
Reactions: sorka