Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there anyway to prioritize solar for home and PWs before grid?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We have a Quad 40A installed in our main panel back in 2000 to supply the EV charger and A/C. But we can't use both at the same time because the breaker overheats. Perhaps the Sunrun design team has concerns along those lines.

IMO, what you described about your charger and AC sounds like a problem.

Putting two Powerwalls through one Quad 30 A doesn't mean you cannot run both Powerwalls at the same time. If you can't run both of your 40 A loads through your Quad 40A something doesn't seem to be working right and actually seems kind of dangerous. You shouldn't be relying on an OCPD to trip and save you from a recurring problem.

Sorry, my message was not clear. The EV charger and A/C will run fine at the same time, but after a while the OCPD gets too hot from the resistance of its slide-on connections to the busbar. A dual 80A breaker could carry the same current, but most loads don't run at full rated current for several hours like the EV charger. I agree that this situation is not right and is somewhat dangerous. Maybe this particular quad breaker wasn't brand new and the contacts were a bit worn or something.

I would think that setup is fine. The quad 30 A is what both @Vines and @wwhitney recommended. Sunrun's design team just didn't want to use the Quad 30A; but the installer says he does it that way all the time.

I just think it's funny Tesla won't allow Sunrun to put those red stickers on the outside or inside of the Gateway 2.

I agree that the quad 30/30 presents no problem that I have heard of. I have heard of breakers overheating due to a concentration of heat on the bus, and its usually a sign of something not quite right. I'd try to swap out the breaker if it was acting up like that.

• Love
Reactions: miimura