TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is there backup warning?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by jboy210, Jul 22, 2018.

1. jboy210

jboy210 Supporting Member

I accidentally backed up into a car behind me tonight. Thankfully no damage.But I was surprised a warning chime or dash signal did not appear.

I know when I move forward into my garage all sorts of warning sounds are played and the car says "stop" and gives me a distance read out..

Do I have something turned off or is there a switch or ...?

Thanks. Car was picked up May 2018.

2. boaterva

boaterva Supporting Member

Definitely should alert on all sides with ultrasonics. To amplify when I back into a spot with the camera the car screams at me to stop when I get too close to something, same as in the front. If there’s no obstruction on your rear bumper etc. I’d have it checked out.

May want to reboot to see if that helps (normal two scroll wheels).

3. jboy210

I took update to 2018.26 on Thursday. I think this broke the chime. Looks both front and rear sensors warning chimes are disabled.

Digging around on the menus I found the parking assist chime, and it was set to off. I turned it on and a slow bong plays unlike the increasing frequency bing-ing of the distance sensors

4. tpham07

tpham07 Active Member

do you not have a backup camera?

• Funny x 1
  5. jboy210

Sure. Unfortunately I have gotten a bit out the habit of looking at it since I have it on all the time when I drive to help mitigate the blind spots. But having the chime has alerted me to look at the screen when there is an conflict when backing up.

Also, the Tesla system is quite inferior compared to my other cars, especially the BMW. It has cameras that show backup with distance color coded, and chimes. Also it has a bird's eye view which is great for parallel parking. And it has cameras on the nose facing left and right so you can nose out of a driveway where the left and right are blocked by parked cars and still look down the street for oncoming traffic, bicyclists and joggers.

6. Anzir

Anzir Supporting Member

That's quality tech there, backed by years of R&D that Tesla doesn't have yet.

7. jboy210

Agreed. I have no doubt Tesla will create something as good or better. Or buy it from the same suppliers as BMW. And then create a premium safety/convenience package upgrade.

8. brkaus

brkaus Active Member

It is also easy to turn on/off chimes. When you are backing up, if you have 1/2 screen backup view, click on the cone and it will open in full screen. On full screen, the bottom left has a mute button.

9. jboy210

Thanks. I always have the backup screen on to help with blind spots and have noticed the cone button. Good to know what it does.