Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there known order how updates get rolled out?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious as I often see people posting on the Internet about the latest update that tesla has initiated and often I do not have any update indication (sometimes as much as a week later before I get my notice).

Are these updates going out based on serial number? Or location? And why do a gradual rollout in the first place? Could not all the cars be updated at the same time?

I still haven't any notice about the latest update which apparently adds safety precautions to Summon (I do have the original summon update currently)

Thanks

While Tesla may have an order they are using for updates, to owners, it appears to be random - especially the longer you have the car (newer cars seem to get updates faster, at least for a while).

The AT&T network limitation is only true when pushing updates through 3G or LTE. There are solutions to providing adequate bandwidth to push updates faster over WiFi/Internet - especially with the relatively small number of vehicles Tesla is supporting compared to other products getting updates over the Internet.

Didn't you know that the "S" stood for suspense?:wink:

But as an example, here is the listing of my updates for a period of time. They were entered by me in the Tesla Firmware Tracker which is free and maintained by a member of this forum. You can enter your updates here:

Tesla Firmware Upgrade Tracker Web App

Oopps.... tried to copy and paste from the firmware tracker, but it didn't work..... Just go to the tracker and set up a log in and you can see that updates come "on the average" every month or two, or three or........

Last edited by a moderator:
I've found that it can be a long time and that very often you will see that your car skips updates as well. For example, there was an update in 7.0 that gave the P85D Launch Mode. I never got that update and ended up getting that functionality with the 7.1 release. The only way I know of to hurry things along is to take your car in for service - the SC updates it every time in my experience.

I tend to get mine pretty fast. Though I went for a period between Oct/Dec where I didn't get the most recents. Since then, no problem. I did call and ask that they push an update to me. Though nothing happened for several days, so I don't know if that had any impact. The guy even acknowledged that I was behind. The other thing I have noticed is that a maps update went out a couple of months ago and I only got it yesterday. The one thing I have read from Tesla is that if you have your car on WiFi, which I do, you will get them faster.

My S's firmware is about 3 updates behind (still on 2.10.71) so after reading your post I stopped by the local service center yesterday and asked them about updates.

They confirmed, as noted by others above, that minor updates trickle out very slowly and not to all vehicles. Sometimes the only way to get the most current is to have the service center install it but they're only supposed to do that if the vehicle is in for some other service.

BTW, I keep the car hooked to wifi whenever I'm home. But so far that does not seem to have helped with minor updates.

Funny thing, though, when I walked out of the service center and got in the car there was a message on the touch screen saying that the mapping software had just been updated.

So I'm behind on firmware but now have 2016 maps.

Because the map/software update process appears to be so random, whenever an update does get installed it feels like winning the lottery...

I received the map update notice - and will check today if it fixes the map problem on our block (software thinks it takes 5 minutes to travel a few feet).

NOTE that these are not 2016 maps - the maps are likely at least 3 to 6 months out of date, the time required to get the map updates through the distribution pipeline.

We have a new street opening up soon near our house, providing better access to our development. Google will show the street almost immediately after it opens. But the navigation software won't know about the street until next map update (a year from now?).

Seems odd that some people can get skipped even if it's only a minor update. I have yet to get the new changes to the last update for summon (where supposed to be making it safer). Don't see what the rationale is for not having everyone get every single update out there, especially if going through home wifi.

Seems odd that some people can get skipped even if it's only a minor update. I have yet to get the new changes to the last update for summon (where supposed to be making it safer). Don't see what the rationale is for not having everyone get every single update out there, especially if going through home wifi.

Agree, it is strange for a safety fix. The only rationale I can think of is to use the small distribution as a mini public beta before the full rollout.

Software update distribution often appear to be "start-stop", with distribution halted if a bug is found while the software is being distributed. Tesla appears to halt distribution when that happens, fix the bug, and then may start over. This shows up as a series of very minor updates being distributed over a couple week period.

There is no transparency on software updates - rarely any announcements by Tesla, except for the really big updates. So we're all just guessing - making this feel like playing the lottery very day - to see if our car is a winner and selected to get new software...