TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Is There No Charging in Corpus?!

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Bardlebee, Jul 30, 2014.

1. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

So I have been trying to find information on Charging in Corpus, so far there is nothing.

Only thing I can find is an Aquarium and a Nissan dealership. Both of those things aren't a good idea if we want to stay the night there. Are there seriously no hotels in Corpus that offer EV charging?

2. cgiGuy

cgiGuy Member

There are two at the La Palmera Mall that I used. 30 amp (17 m/h). I'd call first, as Plugshare has reports of one not working about 2 weeks ago.

Other than that.. it's kind of a black hole. I would look to the RV parks. I know there's one right on the beach, but didn't use it.

I think the listing about the aquarium is really outdated information, as I couldn't find anything else on it.

Good luck!

3. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

I hate to do it, but I am feeling like I will have to take our Rav4 to the coast. So far we haven't driven our gas car since we got the Model S. This will be the first time in nearly 2 months.

4. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Don't leave the keys in the ignition and walk away. Almost everyone does that at least once.

5. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

At least you're leaving from San Antonio. We can't even get there from Austin driving at normal speed. There needs to be supercharger access to the Texas coast as that's the number one question I get about range-- "How do you get to the coast?". I have suggested 3 supercharger locations of south side of San Antonio (I-37 and SE Military Dr., that could be used by I-10 traffic also), I-37 and US 77 area near Corpus
    Christi, and US 77 at Harlingen. That would make South Padre Island accessible. I suggested this to the supercharger team last year and received a reply saying that route to South Padre is "on their radar", whatever than means, but it's still not even on the 2015 map. Imagine not being able to get to the California coast! Maybe it will happen when SpaceX starts building its launch site in Brownsville.

Another idea about destination charging in Corpus Christi-- ask marinas if you could have access to shore power. There is an adapter you can buy to connect a 14-50 plug to a 50A shore power outlet:
    Marine Shore Power Pigtail Adapter Cord

6. wart

wart Member

Even with a Supercharge at San Marcos? Google Maps says it's 188 miles from the San Marcos Supercharger to Corpus Christi. Obviously we do still need destination charging in the Corpus area in order to get back.

7. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

I have a 60, and that's cutting it too close for me. (Before someone says I shouldn't complain about not being able to get somewhere if I have a 60, I should have bought a 85, where I really want to drive to is South Padre and I couldn't get there in a 85 either until that supercharger route is build out to enable access to both Corpus Christi and South Padre Island).

8. stephenpace

stephenpace VIN S00219

I feel your pain. I'd like to drive to McAllen but it is 341 miles from my house in Houston.

9. Chris TX

Chris TX Active Member

10. Bardlebee

Bardlebee Member

Thanks Chris, that is a perfect alternative!

11. mg012

mg012 Member

I have the iPhone app: Allstays Camp and RV
    you can filter for sites with 50 amp service. There are several towards Corpus and some in Port A.

Michael