TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is there no option to use/supercharge a US Model S in Europe

Discussion in 'Model S' started by P85Dave, Feb 13, 2018.

Tags:
  1. P85Dave

P85Dave Member

A friend of ours really wants to buy a Model S but he expects to move back to Europe in about two years and would like to take the car with him. He's a diplomat so taking the car back should not cause any bureaucratic issues but I pointed out the charge port situation.

Is there any possibility at all of changing to an European charge-port after transporting a US Spec Model S to Europe? Any other issue he should be concerned with?

Wish all Teslas everywhere had the same charge port so you can conceivably do an around the world trip :)

2. Tam

Tam Active Member

I imagine you can get some kind of transformer/adapter for US 240V version outlet. Or if you have a solar system, a US 240V inverter version. However, I don't know how you can charge on the European Union roads.

I think the best solution is to sell the US version off and buy the European Union when the time comes.

The European Union mandates a common plug so Tesla has to be in compliance there. Since USA does not mandates a common plug, US plug is smaller and nicer.

3. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

I doubt it is feasible. It is probably possible but they would have to be willing to live with the compromises. Tesla doesn't want you to do it, and they control the car's brain. They don't want people doing this, so yes you could take the car and drive it, but I doubt they would activate Supercharging in Europe.

4. Brando

Brando Member

buy used, sell, buy again in Europe
    lease
    ask Tesla
    ask EU about bringing in used Tesla

5. FlyingCookie

FlyingCookie Member

I think the simplest option may very well be to swap the charge port on the car... But even then, I'm not sure Tesla would allow it.

I fixed that for you :)

6. drklain

drklain Member

#6 drklain, Feb 13, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    There are more issues than just charging. A US Tesla won't connect to the European cellular network (replacing the SIM card makes no difference), so you lose maps and navigation as well as updates, comms with the mothership, etc. All in all, a US Tesla loses a LOT of its capability in Europe.

• Like x 1
  7. verygreen

verygreen Curious member

Note that Tesla would not touch this car in Europe (Even for money!) so if you need any sort of repairs - would need to ship it back to US.

You can buy a supercharger adapter from US to EU port. (not an official accessory from Tesla, but I saw them on pictures)

I know people that buy US salvage cars, ship them to EU and fit in a EU charge port too, likely would void a warranty to do it on a supported car, though.

8. Brando

Brando Member

9. nemSoma

nemSoma Member

You have to swap out the radio module, 3G modem, taillights, HVJB and charge port, then get someone who is not working for Tesla to reconfigure the car as they wouldn't help you with any of this. Now the only thing that is US spec in the car is the BCM, which is only important if you want to get extra keys for the car as EU and US fobs operate on different frequencies.
    As said by verygreen they (probably) won't touch your car in a service center at all.