Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there power in the Model Y?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Although the Y has 12V outlets, the battery capacity won't be enough to provide sufficient wattage to run all of the devices you are wanting to hook-up. You really don't want to draw too much power from the battery as you might cause the various control modules to fail due to low voltage/current to the units.

No 120V outlets in the Tesla Model Y. There are 2 12V accessory outlets and there are USB-C outlets front and rear. The USB-C outlets may be sufficient to power a laptop but not charge the laptop battery (depends on the laptop.) For charging phones and tablets the USB-C ports should be fine. There is also a wireless charging pad that accepts up to 2 phones.

The socket is fused for 15a therefor designed to deliver this without killing the battery. A small 150w inverter will function fine off of this, one only needs to add up total 120v wattage draw of items one wants to use and if less than 150w you are fine. I am surprised Tesla did not include a 120 outlet as standard on the car when it sits on such a huge power supply. Heck even my wife's Fiat came with a standard 120v receptacle in the car and the Honda Ridgeline I have also has one. Never used any of them but they are there.

The socket is fused for 15a therefor designed to deliver this without killing the battery. A small 150w inverter will function fine off of this, one only needs to add up total 120v wattage draw of items one wants to use and if less than 150w you are fine. I am surprised Tesla did not include a 120 outlet as standard on the car when it sits on such a huge power supply. Heck even my wife's Fiat came with a standard 120v receptacle in the car and the Honda Ridgeline I have also has one. Never used any of them but they are there.

According to knowledge I got elsewhere on these forums, the outlet is not actually fused but protected by a self-resetting circuit breaker. If you do draw too much from it, it will shut off. Remove the load and wait (for how long I do not know) and it will reset and work again. Easier than replacing a fuse!

I am surprised Tesla did not include a 120 outlet as standard on the car when it sits on such a huge power supply.
It sounds like the lighter and USB outlets are powered by the small 12V battery, not the main battery pack that powers the car. Maybe if Tesla incorporates two-way charging in the future, it will make more sense to have a 120V household-type plug inside the car, running off the main pack.

It sounds like the lighter and USB outlets are powered by the small 12V battery, not the main battery pack that powers the car. Maybe if Tesla incorporates two-way charging in the future, it will make more sense to have a 120V household-type plug inside the car, running off the main pack.
When the Tesla vehicle is awake power for 12V systems is provided by a DC-to-DC Inverter. Maximum output of the inverter is between 1kW and 2kW.

150w at 120v is 1.25A. Not running any type of heater or monitor or gaming system on 1.25A.

The socket is fused for 15a therefor designed to deliver this without killing the battery.
Not sure this is the case, or if they are even related. Fuses/circuit breakers are installed to protect the wiring and loads from overload/shorts, not the electric source. Also, the NEC requires selecting wiring and breakers to be 125% of designed load. At least that’s how it works in residential and commercial building wiring. Don’t know about vehicular needs…are they different?