Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there really no other way for Tesla to upgrade camera resolution on 2.5?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The cameras are the same but the bitrate possible with the HW3 allows for better quality video. LivingTesla did a test on youtube showing this:

I have HW2.5 and the better quality video output for dashcam/sentry/reverse is really all i want as I'm not interested in paying $8k for FSD

Reactions: Mr X
The cameras are the same but the bitrate possible with the HW3 allows for better quality video. LivingTesla did a test on youtube showing this:

I have HW2.5 and the better quality video output for dashcam/sentry/reverse is really all i want as I'm not interested in paying $8k for FSD

Got it. What do you think a cost for HW3 should be for those that did not buy it?

Got it. What do you think a cost for HW3 should be for those that did not buy it?
No idea if it would ever be possible to upgrade to HW3 w/o FSD. I’m also not sure what I’d be willing to spend for it because the video output is the only really noticeable thing it improves that I’m aware of now but in the future it may be more consequential as Tesla decides to utilize the much increased processing power.

Ya this was the video I saw initially. Looks so much better. Same resolution but higher data rate.

Surely there has to be a way to improve the data rate on 2.5... let's ask Elon!

Yo @ElonMusk

He should give HW3 for those who support him early and paid $5000 for EAP.

Anyone with EAP already has most of the current features.

In any case, no, they shouldn't. The first correction Tesla needs to make is to fix the damage done to quality and service by the desperate cost cutting they needed because they got initial Model X production so badly wrong, and then again got the initial Model 3 production so badly wrong.

Reactions: EV-by-the-Sea
He made no mention of HW3. Or the price DROPS I wouldn’t have bought EAP if he told us he was going to sell FSD to those who didn’t buy it for $5k

Yeah and he made no mention of free hardware upgrades either. If you buy any other car ever you won't get free hardware upgrades without buying a whole new car.

If you've been following Tesla for any length of time (you have more posts than me and have owned the car longer than me), you shouldn't be surprised the prices jump around a decent amount.

Should Tesla refund all the people that bought a Model Y since they just dropped the price 3k? No. They're not entitled to, just like you're not entitled to HW3. You bought the car with HW2.5. You can get HW3 if you buy FSD. Otherwise, tough cookies.

• Disagree
Reactions: ebmcs03 and Runt8
Prices of other cars sold by dealers jump around hourly by thousands of dollars. Tesla price changes are few and mild by comparison.

Agreed!

Two people, sitting in cubicles next to each other, on the same day, in the same dealership, could end up paying wildly different prices for the exact same vehicle - by thousands of dollars.

With Tesla, that will never happen. Different promotions and prices change over time - sure - but for any two people, anywhere in the country, ordering the same car at the same time, the price will be identical. The ability of the shyster with the bad toupee to stick it to you never enters the equation. And I love that.

Reactions: Runt8