Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there some reason NOT to use range mode?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On long trips you should not have it turned on. It's limits pack heating and energy In general while on long trips energy used to heat the battery in the beginning will result in a much more energy efficient remainder but that only happens on long trips like longer than one hour.

I wish Telsa had some quick access toggle on screen when just starting a drive or stopping a drive to easily switch.

Range Mode cuts your climate control energy as well. OK if it's working for you, but might let it get cold in the car. I assume it would be a little harder on the battery due to the colder temp, and might limit your acceleration and regen more than usual.

From what I've read here, range mode does not have a big effect on range. Give it try and see what it does for you.

My understanding is that it does reduce direct battery heating but has no effect on the latent heat your battery will receive while driving. And it does reduce cabin heating too but if you are in that mode you probably should already reduce it yourself and turn on the seat heaters.

If you do turn on range mode make sure you turn it OFF whenever you charge.

Reactions: mswlogo
My understanding is that it does reduce direct battery heating but has no effect on the latent heat your battery will receive while driving. And it does reduce cabin heating too but if you are in that mode you probably should already reduce it yourself and turn on the seat heaters.

If you do turn on range mode make sure you turn it OFF whenever you charge.

Wait, what? I am beyond baffled. With a BMW i3, for instance, you can switch between driving mode Comfort or Eco Pro, the main difference being that not as much power goes to the HVAC system. You can also choose Eco Pro +, which pretty much shuts down the HVAC.

My understanding from all I have read from Tesla is that range mode works similarly, just allocating less energy for the HVAC.

I am not doubting anyone, but if this mode could damage the battery long term, wouldn’t it be accesible from the charging menu? Wouldn’t it turn off by itself after some time like road trip mode used to do? The way it works now it looks to be a set it and forget it kind of option. Even the i3 reverts to standard driving mode when you turn off the car.

I am puzzled.

On long trips you should not have it turned on. It's limits pack heating and energy In general while on long trips energy used to heat the battery in the beginning will result in a much more energy efficient remainder but that only happens on long trips like longer than one hour.

I wish Telsa had some quick access toggle on screen when just starting a drive or stopping a drive to easily switch.
Fully agreed, the quick access menu with full car picture from above should have this, or a few user configurable options. It’s quite a waste of space menu, especially if you don’t have pano roof or sz package.

Idea: Tesla should add a winter preconditioning option, which would preheat the battery to 40C or so (assuming 50C is ok for Li-on battery), and then in the beginning of trip, heating would be drawn from the mass of the battery. In my experience, toasty warm (after SuC) battery heats the whole cabin at slightly below freezing temperatures. Lately I did a roadtrip where returning with a warm driveline resulted with a 186Wh/km last 50km, 90km/h speed and -1 to -2C temp. Amazing efficiency.

I think if you are doing short drives you may have more access to charging so therefor I would not consider using range mode around town. This would ensure battery is conditioned as per discussion here. I use range mode mainly on day trips when i'm away from chargers or pushing my limits between chargers. I view the feature as being more efficient on longer trips by using front motor more than rear as per the manual. If you listen very closely, with R/M on, you can hear a very small wine from front motor at parking lot speeds. Less wear on front drive system may be good reason to not leave R/M on at all times along with less conditioning at Supercharger events.

range mode.JPG

Tesla's range mode finally explained

Thank you @Darmie The link is a little difficult to read, but has a very good explanation of when to use Range Mode in my 100D. (YES for long trips with highway cruise speeds. Not so much for shorter stop-and-go.)

I'm looking forward to experimenting with it on an upcoming multi-day road trip.
I personally will almost never use range mode. Any efficiencies gained is not worth the lost of battery longevity due to thermal management being handicapped. The only chance I would use it is if I am running out of charge and won’t make it to the next charger or my car is cold soaked and I am making one short drive and then parking it again for hours.

The main reason not to use range mode is that it doesn't really accomplish anything except for short trips in cold weather. (Based on my S85 experience). Even then if you forget to turn it off when plugging in, charging at home when cold doesn't get the battery very warm and preheating doesn't work very well.

My understanding is for AWD S and X, range mode does some motor tricks that help. No first hand experience with this though.

Range mode reduce battery conditioning and would likely reduce the longevity of your battery. I only turn it on sometimes if the car is cold soaked and I am doing a very short trip. Almost never turn it on.

I would argue that it could increase longevity of the battery with it on.

Thermal cycles are often what makes things deteriorate. Due to expansion and contraction. The Faster the thermal cycle the more deterioration. If you have a short commute, Heating the battery only to let it cool again 20 minutes later puts the battery through a rather quick thermal cycle that is unnecessary. Also ridiculously wasteful use of watt hours. Where with Range Mode on the battery would heat a small amount very slowly. Usually a good thing.

For long trips leaving it on. It lets the battery warm up gradually. Which is generally a good thing.

I leave it on, all the time. It never hurts a thing.