Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is There Some Way for Me To Give Away My Part of the Referral Incentive?!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Pollux

Supporting Member
Hi,

I've got an event coming up where I'd like to put my referral code out for people to use to get the $1K discount.

Ideally, though, I'd like them to be able to get my $1K as well, for a total $2K benefit to the purchaser.

I wrote [email protected] and after a few days and a follow up prompting on my part finally got back an answer: can't do like that. Except in Virginia and Ohio. Where I'm pretty sure they don't have the option to give the referral benefit to me anyway.

So: does anyone know of a way to get this done? Full benefit to the purchaser.

Thanks,
Alan

Interesting idea. Thank you.

(I'll have to check with my accountant whether that would mean tax consequences for me, but it could work. Thanks again!)

P.S. I feel silly I couldn't think this up under my own power. But grateful that you did.

You can make a private deal with them, that once you get the credit they pick out stuff/accessories for 1000.

Buy them a CHAdeMO Adapter and some Swag from the Accessories store.
The credit itself is Not Transferrable per the rules. But you can do what you want with what you buy.

I'd give one adapter to the buyer, and donate one to a deserving, public, free CHAdeMO charge station. Wait, I HAVE done that :)

Wait, what?! Where would I find these CHAdeMO charge stations that need an adapter? How would they safely store the adapter so it doesn't get damaged or lost?

Teach me, o Master!

Buy them a CHAdeMO Adapter and some Swag from the Accessories store.
The credit itself is Not Transferrable per the rules. But you can do what you want with what you buy.

I'd give one adapter to the buyer, and donate one to a deserving, public, free CHAdeMO charge station. Wait, I HAVE done that :)

Wait, what?! Where would I find these CHAdeMO charge stations that need an adapter? How would they safely store the adapter so it doesn't get damaged or lost?

Teach me, o Master!
PlugShare - Filter for CHAdeMO, look for high scores. And scan TMC local threads with keywords, look for advice like "This CHAdeMO will help you get from XXX Supercharger to YYY Supercharger"
My first one:

Destination CHAdeMO w/Tesla Adapter: New Orleans, LA

Last edited:
Hello--

I emailed Tesla about being able to donate the $1,000 referral, but never got a response... here are some of the benefits I see in allowing individuals to donate their referral reward:

It would prevent potential future Tesla owners from fearing that the individual referring them to the brand is exaggerating the car’s capabilities to profit from the referral reward.
It would remove much of the awkwardness that comes with referring a friend or family member to making an expensive purchase that seems to be profiting the individual making the initial referral.
It would further incentivize Tesla owners to refer friends and family to the brand by enabling owners to offer new Tesla customers the opportunity to donate the $1,000 referral reward to any charity of the new owner’s choice.
It would be great for Tesla’s public image, while also improving the company’s tax benefits.
And finally, it would undeniably complement Tesla’s forward-thinking and philanthropic mission.

The $1000 kickback to the referring current owner is now gone when they extended the program to 12/31/15. Also, the terms state: "To be clear, commercializing or otherwise selling referral codes is not appropriate, and we will not honor such codes."