Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something up with one of my inverters?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey all,

Had a 12.75kW system with two PW+ (2x 7.6kW inverters) installed the first of December 2021. I still waiting for PTO.

For the last week or so I have noticed production on sunny days is way down from what is was the first several weeks. I logged into the inverter and it seems like several strings are no longer connected. I added screen shots of what it looked like right after install and what it looks like today. Anyone have any ideas on something I could do other than try and get Tesla support? From reading other threads it seems they don't like to support systems that are pre-PTO...

In picture 2 you can see strings 3 and 4 are disconnected on the 2nd inverter and it has produced substantially less than inverter 1. There is nothing connected on string 2, so that is normal.

Thanks for any insights!

Attachments

• teg_1.png
    teg_1.png
    496.5 KB · Views: 184
  • teg_2.png
    teg_2.png
    505 KB · Views: 124
Hey all,

Had a 12.75kW system with two PW+ (2x 7.6kW inverters) installed the first of December 2021. I still waiting for PTO.

For the last week or so I have noticed production on sunny days is way down from what is was the first several weeks. I logged into the inverter and it seems like several strings are no longer connected. I added screen shots of what it looked like right after install and what it looks like today. Anyone have any ideas on something I could do other than try and get Tesla support? From reading other threads it seems they don't like to support systems that are pre-PTO...

In picture 2 you can see strings 3 and 4 are disconnected on the 2nd inverter and it has produced substantially less than inverter 1. There is nothing connected on string 2, so that is normal.

Thanks for any insights!
Rebooting the system may help temporarily, but most likely something is wrong with the install and you’ll need to reach out to your project advisor to have someone take a look. I’ve seen strings sometime drop in production, but not show disconnected.

I think I found the (or at least an) issue. Burnt wiring and connector in the inverter. Is it not possible to request service via the App? Support docs tell you to do that but the option is missing in my app.

Attachments

• inverter_wiring.jpg
    inverter_wiring.jpg
    454.7 KB · Views: 95
I think I found the (or at least an) issue. Burnt wiring and connector in the inverter. Is it not possible to request service via the App? Support docs tell you to do that but the option is missing in my app.
On my App (IOS) there is an option labeled "Support". And if you select that option there is a "Request Service" button. Once that is selected you walk a chain of prompts and enter your issue.

However, I am wondering if that is only available after PTO. So, if you can't find it in the app, I would call Tesla and walk the "push x for y" chain. Hopefully, you will get a person, or at least be able to leave a problem description and callback number.

However, I agree with you that burnt wire is a real cause for concern.

Try calling tesla energy support at 877-961-7652. What I would say is something like the following:

"Hi. I am concerned about my new system that was recently installed. I noticed production seemed low, and when I looked at the inverter I found burnt wiring. I have a picture I can share with you of this burnt wiring. I am concerned, and would like to get someone back out asap because of this. Can you send me an email address to upload this picture of the burned wire to, and when can you get someone back out here please?"

Or something like that.

TL ; DR -- dont focus on the loss of production, other than to mention thats why you were looking. Focus on the burned wiring and that you are concerned about it and would like help getting that resolved because it appears unsafe.

• Helpful
Reactions: BGbreeder
Prior to PTO, support generally won’t help you. At least that has been my experience. The support button didn’t show up until after I got PTO.

Thanks guys,

I think you are correct jboy and it is not available before PTO as when I go to the Support section of the App but there is no Request Service button.

On hold now and the system says over 40 minute wait. Joy. I hope the fact that things are burning and melting will encourage them to offer support.

Thanks guys,

I think you are correct jboy and it is not available before PTO as when I go to the Support section of the App but there is no Request Service button.

On hold now and the system says over 40 minute wait. Joy. I hope the fact that things are burning and melting will encourage them to offer support.
Great. Let's hope the burnt wire lights a fire under them, :eek:

Good news! The local PM and his supervisor have managed to get service out here tomorrow. So thankful for helpful Tesla employees. Hopefully the service tech can quickly resolve the issue and get my system back up and running.

@jjrandorin, yes I called that number. As soon as I said Inverter he said I have to transfer you and he dropped me back in the queue. I barely got a word in.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
As soon as I said Inverter he said I have to transfer you and he dropped me back in the queue. I barely got a word in.
Rule 1 I use when trying to get someone to do work for me: I don't do their work for them, even if I think it would be helpful, unless they ask for the help.

I would have just said "a box Tesla installed has burned wires and looks dangerous". This forces them to come out and discover if it's their issue or not.

Reactions: jjrandorin
Good news! The local PM and his supervisor have managed to get service out here tomorrow. So thankful for helpful Tesla employees. Hopefully the service tech can quickly resolve the issue and get my system back up and running.

@jjrandorin, yes I called that number. As soon as I said Inverter he said I have to transfer you and he dropped me back in the queue. I barely got a word in.

I have that number in my phone as "tesla energy" but perhaps its the number for powerwall support, instead of tesla energy support. Thanks for the reply.

The Tesla crew came out this morning and replaced the inverter and checked everything over. They didn't find any issues and assume it was a defective inverter. We are back up and running. Overall, great customer support from Tesla.
Great to hear that they resolved the issue so quickly.

It looks like a potential installation error to me. It doesn't look like they inserted that wire properly leading to a high resistance connection. The high resistance connection will generate heat, cause the conductors to oxidize leading to a higher resistance and more heat. It certainly also could have been a defect in the connector itself causing the high resistance and the wire backed out after overheating, but in the picture that wire that overheated is not fully engaged into the connector.

Reactions: Vines and BGbreeder