Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something wrong with my tires?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Disclaimer: I consider myself a techie, not a car guy. I'm clueless about most car stuff so I apologize for this foolish question ahead of time.

This morning, I felt like there was something off with my drive to work. Not sure why. It's as if the ride suddenly felt harsher than usual for some reason. It feels worse at higher speeds than slower speeds. All 4 tires had 40 PSI. Granted, I haven't rotated my tires just yet after 13k miles of driving, but I'd expected something like this to feel gradual, not sudden.

The two rear wheels and front left also appear black all of the sudden, even though I haven't driven through anything messy.

IMG_6668.JPG
IMG_6670.JPG
IMG_6673.JPG
IMG_6679.PNG

Two years ago, I got stranded on the 405 highway while driving a Golf R because the tire tread started tearing apart due to low tire pressure. The tire ripped off and went flying right as I stopped on the shoulder and had to be towed to a nearby tire shop. I'm kinda worried that this might be the same thing.

Can anyone more experienced than me provide some advice? Am I just imagining things?

Looks to me like you ran over a thin strip of asphalt or some other sticky item that embedded/stuck itself into the tire's sipes. It doesn't look like part of the tire's tread to me.

Use a medium sized screwdriver to pry one of those blobs out and see what it is.