Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something wrong with my X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Nobody is going to see ~300 Wh/mile highway on a MX except in near-hypermiling conditions on dead-flat Dutch roads with no traffic, lights, stops, wind, or weather.
My lifetime average is 299. In the warm months I average 294. Winter is in DC metro area - pretty flat - a a mix of suburban and freeway. Summer is in rural Quebec - mix of freeway and country roads many of which are dirt so this surprises me. I don't hyper mile but I'm probably reasonably conservative in the way I drive (no more than 10 over the limit in general).

Now what I get may be of some interest as an example but what is really of interest is what the fleet shows as that's what OP should expect. As noted above that's 86% of EPA range in the colder months and 96% in the warmer. 3% of drivers do better than I do.

Actually, my S75 and X100D have essentially the same practical range -- about 180 miles, or 200 miles in a pinch without any range anxiety.
I usually just charge when convenient. Range anxiety is something I don't understand. I guess I have gone as far as 240 miles on a single charge without anxiety so I suppose that's the practical range for me though most trips are usually shorter. Chargers are so thick where I drive that there's often an opportunity to top off even if you don't have to.

A new driver would do well to familiarize himself with the causes of high consumption and to monitor the consumption graphs while he is driving in order to learn what he does that raises consumption and what mother nature does to raise consumption.

Reactions: rush6410
400 to 500 average. I don't think I have ever saw it that high on a horrible trip. I would recommend researching on how to monitor your consumption adjusting your drive as necessary to maximize your efficiency. It really isn't that hard. My lifetime average at 50k is 341. And I am by no means a hyper-miler.

I can also see 367 Wh/mile on long, flat stretches without traffic, and that's an absolute best case for a MX.
Hardly. I frequently see well under 300. Just flipping through my records I found a 23 mile trip with consumption of 133. The best I have ever done is -146. Yes, that is a minus sign. Thus consumption in an X is demonstrably not restricted to numbers above 350. It depends on many things. In the 133 Wh/mi trip the elevation declined 1592 ft over the 23 miles.

The fact that you saw it or I saw it doesn't make it representative. That's why we accumulate statistics.

150 travelled miles consuming 260 rated miles is entirely plausible. I saw the same behavior on day 3 of owning our Raven Model S. I travelled 56 miles on 5-6 short trips around town and used 95 miles of range. This equates to 70% more energy use compared to miles travelled. In the OP's X, 150 x 1.7 = 255 rated miles.

Our Raven S eventually settled down to between 1.10 - 1.25 energy used compared to actual miles travelled. The outlier that day was due to 105 degree day, AC at 72, Sentry Mode on, use of Dog Mode briefly, App access on, Cabin Overheat Protection enabled, and also Smart PreConditioning, in addition to the car probably trying to cool the battery. Oh, and 21" tires.

Excessive energy consumption will occur periodically if conditions are challenging. I would only be concerned if you're seeing such limited range on a regular basis.

Last edited:
That statement is inaccurate as "range" is calculated several ways. I believe confusion as to which one is looking at is responsible for much of the noise on these forums.

Rated range does not depend on driving conditions. It is EPA range multiplied by the battery percentage divided by 100 adjusted by the battery degradation . Thus when the battery is full (100%) and there is no battery degradation the rated range display is the EPA rated range.

But that number isn't very useful if there is snow on the road or it is unusually cold or you are driving into a head wind. The vehicle accumulated power consumption vs distance info and converts that into the range that you would get if conditions remain the same as they were over the distance considered. You have a choice of instantaneous, 5 mi, 10 mi or 30 mile averaging and the estimated range will depend on conditions and the selected averaging.

Yikes. I average 360Wh/mile in a MX 100D in hilly Los Angeles. I wonder if the people who are averaging 400+ Wh/mile have 22" wheels and drive aggressively? Even if you're not driving fast on the freeway, if you have a heavy foot when starting and stopping that can drastically reduce your efficiency.

Rated Range - EPA estimated consumption (Wh/mi) * the current kWh charge of the pack
Ideal Range - EPA estimated consumption (Wh/mi) * the current kWh charge of the pack * 1.25 (worthless, don't use ideal)
Projected Range - Actual average or instantaneous 5/15/30mi consumption (Wh/mi) * the current kWh charge of the pack
Trip Arrival Percentage - Estimated remaining SoC upon arrival at navigation destination, factoring in estimated speed and elevation change along the planned route. Refined constantly while you drive.
Actual Range - Average consumption (Wh/mi) * the consumed kWh on the trip (shows in the trip meter)

Outside of conditions you can't change, excessive speed and poor use of regeneration are some of the biggest impacts on your range, regeneration even more with 22" rims. The energy recovered while braking from highway speeds can easily cover 2+ miles of highway driving, a few sudden stops from 60 with the brakes can quickly add up to 10s of miles of lost range.

400 to 500 average. I don't think I have ever saw it that high on a horrible trip. I would recommend researching on how to monitor your consumption adjusting your drive as necessary to maximize your efficiency. It really isn't that hard. My lifetime average at 50k is 341. And I am by no means a hyper-miler.

The whole point is that I don't have to worry about consumption. I'm on EAP essentially 100% of the time (local and highway), and that's good enough efficiency for me. If I cared about absolute energy usage, I would get a M3. I almost never Supercharge, and my electricity is $.11/kWh, so I don't worry about driving carefully. But, as I said, I often see low to mid 300s Wh/mile on flat highway (which I almost never experience).

I just don't want the OP to get the impression that their experience is unusual (or that their car is faulty). Not everybody enjoys the peak efficiency game, and people shouldn't obsess about it if they don't want to play with the tools and gamify their driving experience. All I need is an accurate trip planner, and the Tesla one is usually only slightly optimistic on roadtrips. I know to never set out with a target @ less than 20% reserve, and I'm fine. I usually end up close to the estimate, or up to 5% lower than anticipated (never better). It is quite accurate, so I know my MX is fine. (Contrary to popular rumor, the Tesla Trip Planner does NOT adapt to your usage history or driving style.)

Just enjoy and relax!!

I think the whole point is that while you a) think your unusually high consumption is normal and b) don't care OP doesn't share either of those positions and wants to know why he is seeing such high rates. People here have tried to point to several possible causes and have suggested means for verifying which, if any, of those may be responsible.

His experience is unusual in that only perhaps one in 20 drivers sees performance that bad.

I think the whole point is that while you a) think your unusually high consumption is normal and b) don't care OP doesn't share either of those positions and wants to know why he is seeing such high rates. People here have tried to point to several possible causes and have suggested means for verifying which, if any, of those may be responsible.

His experience is unusual in that only perhaps one in 20 drivers sees performance that bad.

Well, I'll just throw it out there that abetterrouteplanner uses >400 Wh/mile for a similar random route starting from Jacksonville, which I plotted. That's for 20" wheels. 22" will be easily 10% lower, so 440, and conditions or something very simple like under-inflated tires or driving faster than 65 MPH (almost certain!) could easily reduce it further, so 500 Wh/mile could not be great, but possible.

There are hills within 150 miles of Jacksonville. ;) The OP should not be concerned that their car has a serious issue.