Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there something wrong with my X?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have read other threads about distance and how far you can go but this just isn't making sense to me. I was in Jacksonville and was fully charged 100% at a super charger. I barely made it home which was 150 miles. I have the 22 inch rims which have been updated in the settings. My car said I should of had 260 miles but I barely got 150 miles. I don't feel like I drove too crazy but even if I did would that remove 100 miles? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

I have read other threads about distance and how far you can go but this just isn't making sense to me. I was in Jacksonville and was fully charged 100% at a super charger. I barely made it home which was 150 miles. I have the 22 inch rims which have been updated in the settings. My car said I should of had 260 miles but I barely got 150 miles. I don't feel like I drove too crazy but even if I did would that remove 100 miles? Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

No.

Range is variable depending on your driving style.

You can prove that 260 miles in battery gauge can only get you 150 miles in actual distance but hypermilers can also prove that same 260 miles in battery gauge can get them 300, 400 miles in actual distance too.

The first alert in your driving style is using 22" rims that reduce 20% of the range comparing to 20" ones.

Then your speed, heater/HVAC usage, wind conditions...

Reactions: jerseygirl18
Range usually is calculated about 50 mph. If you were driving over 80...that might do it.
Aftermarket wheels (poor aerodynamics compared to standard slip streams) stickey tires or other aftermarket add ons can also reduce range.
Leaving your security cameras on, using your heater, along with the bigger tires can cost you range.

Said that you did not think you were driving too crazy, but any kind of crazy will reduce your range.

All of the above responses are very valid. I would also suggest you change the “miles of range” setting to the “ percentage of battery’ setting” it’s semantic, but I find it helps me, as “miles of range” is based on your current (past 30-miles) driving conditions/ behavior, and can be mentally deceptive. Monitor your battery percentage along with your current Watt/hours/mile usage, and you’ll get the gist.

That being said, I’ve had between 450 W/hrs/mile and 380 W/hrs/mile in the summer at 75 mph depending on the wind. In the winter, at -20 F, I’ve had as much of 1300 W/hrs/mile as my X heats the battery. In the winter scenario, even after driving 20 miles to a supercharger, my initial charge rate at the supercharger has been as low as16 KW, SLOWLY increasing to 100-ish KW as the battery continues to heat.

This won’t apply to your Florida location exactly, but I hope it’s illustrative of the battery’s behavior!

• Disagree
Reactions: ABC2D
drive.jpg

Here's my teslafi graphic from a drive yesterday, from just south of Lake City to Winter Haven. Started with a 90% charge, about 250 rated miles. Drove 162 miles in the conditions you see above, and got home with still 50 rated miles. 22" wheels, MX P100D. Had AP set to 80 for the sections on I-75 and the turnpike, tried to stay around 70 when I could on the secondary roads (about 1/3 of the total distance). I averaged 68. You can see my top speed was a little much, but that was in a passing situation on a 2 lane road. God I love this car. AC was set to 70 for most of the trip. The hills in the first part of the drive make some difference, wh/mile really settles down at a constant speed on a flat road.

You should be getting better than what you described unless you drive like an absolute bat out of hell in a lot of stop-and-go. There are three basic routes from Jax to Clermont: 95, 17 or 301. Which did you take?

View attachment 465998

Here's my teslafi graphic from a drive yesterday, from just south of Lake City to Winter Haven. Started with a 90% charge, about 250 rated miles. Drove 162 miles in the conditions you see above, and got home with still 50 rated miles. 22" wheels, MX P100D. Had AP set to 80 for the sections on I-75 and the turnpike, tried to stay around 70 when I could on the secondary roads (about 1/3 of the total distance). I averaged 68. You can see my top speed was a little much, but that was in a passing situation on a 2 lane road. God I love this car. AC was set to 70 for most of the trip. The hills in the first part of the drive make some difference, wh/mile really settles down at a constant speed on a flat road.

You should be getting better than what you described unless you drive like an absolute bat out of hell in a lot of stop-and-go. There are three basic routes from Jax to Clermont: 95, 17 or 301. Which did you take?

Wow that's some detailed info. I took 95 to the 4 then 414 to the turnpike then home. Drove pretty normal kind of like you and there was no wind. Had AP also set to 80 most of the way. I was fully charged at 90% too.

Hi InsanePath,

Would you please add some details about your car?
So far we know 22" wheels and 80 mph. Both of those are range consumers...

We could figure backwards from your 260 miles, but it would be better information
if we knew the year and exact specs. of the car...

Thank You,

Shawn

You should nominally get something like 3 miles per battery percent. Note that the poster of No. 9 got 161.91/70 = 2.313. When you say you barely made it home which was a 150 mi trip that says you got 150/100 = 1.5 mi/% thus you really got clobbered. There could be something wrong with your X but it is very much more likely that the reason for this is the way you drive and/or the driving conditions. 22" wheels are a power suck as are high speeds, headwinds and wet road surfaces.

As has been mentioned there are displays in the car that tell you whether you are using power at better than nominal or worse than nominal rates and, more importantly, give you an estimate of how much power you will have at your destination. These are updated as you drive so that if, for example, you run into a violent thunderstorm with huge headwinds you will see after driving in it for a bit your battery estimate at destination decreasing rapidly.

Explore these displays and learn what it is they are telling you. If you do that you won't ever ask this question again because you will know the answer.

80 MPH will eat charge, especially in an X.

Enter your destination into the nav and keep an eye on the charge remaining at destination. It knows about "average" driving speeds, elevation changes, and what your consumption has been for the past 30 miles or so. If it looks like you don't have enough charge, you can slow down a few MPH to increase your range.

The battery meter that's always displayed is just the energy remaining in the battery, expressed as EPA rated miles (or percent). Exactly the way ICE cars have and EPA MPG and range, which you never seem to be able to achieve. It should be pretty accurate if you drive like the EPA in favorable weather on a flat road.

The nav and Energy app will help with your real consumption, but may not be able to predict how you are going to drive or changing weather conditions. Which is why they are not super accurate and you have to monitor your charge remaining at destination to ensure you arrive without a tow truck.

You should nominally get something like 3 miles per battery percent. Note that the poster of No. 9 got 161.91/70 = 2.313. When you say you barely made it home which was a 150 mi trip that says you got 150/100 = 1.5 mi/% thus you really got clobbered. There could be something wrong with your X but it is very much more likely that the reason for this is the way you drive and/or the driving conditions. 22" wheels are a power suck as are high speeds, headwinds and wet road surfaces.

As has been mentioned there are displays in the car that tell you whether you are using power at better than nominal or worse than nominal rates and, more importantly, give you an estimate of how much power you will have at your destination. These are updated as you drive so that if, for example, you run into a violent thunderstorm with huge headwinds you will see after driving in it for a bit your battery estimate at destination decreasing rapidly.

Explore these displays and learn what it is they are telling you. If you do that you won't ever ask this question again because you will know the answer.

I have never gotten better than 400 Wh/mile on my X100D with 20" wheels, under any circumstances. Mixed driving is always ~550 Wh/mile. So, I think the correct number is about 2 miles/% charge for flat highway driving in good conditions, not 3... I think you're building very false expectations from the OP.

I have never gotten better than 400 Wh/mile on my X100D with 20" wheels, under any circumstances. Mixed driving is always ~550 Wh/mile. So, I think the correct number is about 2 miles/% charge for flat highway driving in good conditions, not 3... I think you're building very false expectations from the OP.

I have gotten under 400Wh/mile in my X90D under various circumstances. My lifetime average is 411 Wh/mile...and that includes driving in MN winters.

72263841-10220885742479199-516823344692068352-o.jpg

You are an unusually poor driver. I mean that statistically speaking so don't take it personally. The EPA rating for the pre Raven X (what I am driving) was 295 miles. That's 2.95 miles per percent battery. That's where I got the number from. The EPA rating is supposed to be at least approximately representative of what buyers should expect to experience. Stats is a program that collects data from cars on the road. It offers histograms of what users actually experience. In the cold weather months average efficiency is 84% and so the average X driver is getting 0.86*3 = 2.56 Wh/mi corresponding to about 334/0.86 = 388 Wh/mi. In the summer the fleet efficiency goes up to 96% corresponding to about 2.8 mi/% or 348 WH/mi. Your mixed driving rate of 550 corresponds to efficiency of 60% or about 1.8 Wh/%. Trying to visually integrate under the histogram bu I'd say 5% or less of drivers do that poorly.

So the average warm weather performance is still pretty close to 3 at 2.8 mi/% and not that far off in winter at 2.56 (still closer to 3 than 2).

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys get this kind of consumption. I picture the Escher etching of the staircase that goes up in both directions.

You are an unusually poor driver. I mean that statistically speaking so don't take it personally. The EPA rating for the pre Raven X (what I am driving) was 295 miles. That's 2.95 miles per percent battery. That's where I got the number from. The EPA rating is supposed to be at least approximately representative of what buyers should expect to experience. Stats is a program that collects data from cars on the road. It offers histograms of what users actually experience. In the cold weather months average efficiency is 84% and so the average X driver is getting 0.86*3 = 2.56 Wh/mi corresponding to about 334/0.86 = 388 Wh/mi. In the summer the fleet efficiency goes up to 96% corresponding to about 2.8 mi/% or 348 WH/mi. Your mixed driving rate of 550 corresponds to efficiency of 60% or about 1.8 Wh/%. Trying to visually integrate under the histogram bu I'd say 5% or less of drivers do that poorly.

So the average warm weather performance is still pretty close to 3 at 2.8 mi/% and not that far off in winter at 2.56 (still closer to 3 than 2).

I'm still trying to figure out how you guys get this kind of consumption. I picture the Escher etching of the staircase that goes up in both directions.

Probably more a result of traffic, roads, and topography of the Seattle area. I also get around 350 Wh/mile on my S75 (non-D) in general driving, but on the rare occasion that I drive away from Seattle to smooth, traffic-free, and more level highway miles, I can see 250-267 Wh/mile. Those are both right in line with my MX experiences. I get 300-350 Wh/mile on the X for stress-free driving, following traffic speeds and using heat or AC as desired.

Getting 2/3rds of the US EPA rating is quite typical for EVs, and entirely what I expected based on research.

Nobody is going to see ~300 Wh/mile highway on a MX except in near-hypermiling conditions on dead-flat Dutch roads with no traffic, lights, stops, wind, or weather. :)

Actually, my S75 and X100D have essentially the same practical range -- about 180 miles, or 200 miles in a pinch without any range anxiety.

I have gotten under 400Wh/mile in my X90D under various circumstances. My lifetime average is 411 Wh/mile...and that includes driving in MN winters.

There you go... Doesn't get much flatter than MN. :) 411 Wh/mile is quite in line with my 450-550 Wh/mile in Seattle traffic and topography. I can also see 367 Wh/mile on long, flat stretches without traffic, and that's an absolute best case for a MX.

There you go... Doesn't get much flatter than MN. :) 411 Wh/mile is quite in line with my 450-550 Wh/mile in Seattle traffic and topography. I can also see 367 Wh/mile on long, flat stretches without traffic, and that's an absolute best case for a MX.

It may be flat...but it's also below freezing for 5 months out of the year...WAY below freezing for much of that time.