TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is there such a thing as too much white?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Interior & Exterior' started by Shadnic, Sep 26, 2019.

1. Shadnic

Shadnic Member

I just got my model 3 (hooray!) white exterior, white interior. I've always LOVED white/black combos inside cars because its so clean and futuristic looking.

I'm currently buying some accessories and of course one of the first things I want is a console wrap. I find myself incredibly torn between a matte/carbon/matrix black and a matte white.

I'm worried that white will be just tooooo much white inside the car. The seats are already blindingly white - but...when I look at pictures, it looks so slick. I know these things are a horrendous pain to install so I'd rather just do it once and be done with it, which is why I'm fretting so much over my options here.

Anyone go all white console and think it's too much? Or anyone feel that you really need that black console to provide enough contrast inside the car?

(Pic for reference stolen from an amazon review)

Attached Files:

2. St☰v☰

St☰v☰ Member

I actually like it. Was wondering whether it's a matte finish, which would be my preference as sometimes I get sun coming through the huge front windshield and it hits the glossy console and blinds me.

3. SoCal Cal

SoCal Cal Member

I wrapped the console and door trim in white on mine, basically everything gloss black got a matte white wrap. The exterior was black, but I dipped it white with nordic pearls. White interior. I'd attach pics, but that car got totaled and I haven't had the time to do the new one yet (white/white soon to be dipped white w/abalone pearls).

4. SonicF9

SonicF9 Member

3M Satin White matches the white dash on our P3D+ and I love it and get tons of compliments.

Attached Files:

• Like x 1
  5. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

If you browse through eBay offerings you will find even more white on white interiors with the whole center console in white (back seat section, sides, center armrest etc). Odd looking but perhaps someone's fancy.

6. superfunk

superfunk Member

I went all white in the center console, and I even added a white leather-like cover to the armrest. It’s not as fine as the material on the seats but close enough to pass without close inspection. Maybe one day I’ll upgrade if some makes a classier version. I draw the line at the door buttons and steering wheel; I’ve seen photos and it’s too much in my opinion. Rather, I’ve been using carbon fiber wraps on the buttons and in a few other places and it’s subtle, but I like it. I’m not doing anything with areas that I want to be more “background” or downplayed. Like the steering wheel...I want it to fade away compared to the stunning “T” made by the white dash piece and center console.

7. SoCal Cal

SoCal Cal Member

A pic of my door trim can be found in this post.

8. sroh

sroh Member

I don't regret it at all. In fact, I still marvel at how clean, airy and modern it feels with the white interior and white console wrap.

Do it; worst case, you can replace if you don't like it or get tired of it.

• Like x 1
  9. mswlogo

mswlogo Well-Known Member

White interiors make me feel like I'm at the Dentist.
    I guess a white console for the drills, drool sucker and scraping tools would be appropriate.

• Funny x 1
  10. Watts_Up

Watts_Up Active Member

The only change I would make is to have the central armrest white, as it was shown during the 3/31/16 original presentation:

[​IMG]

• Like x 4
  11. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

I bought the white carbon fibre centre console wrap from Abstract Ocean and am very happy with it - even though I didn't do too great a job installing it myself. Then again, the nice support lady at Abstract Ocean sent me a replacement free of charge, which was great service.

12. Brnn

Brnn Member

There's no wrong answer here, totally personal preference. I think I may be the only one on the board who likes the stock piano black center in the white interior.

13. 03DSG

03DSG Active Member

I love the white seats and door panels. If I had the white interior I would stop there. Then a carbon fiber dash panel and 3M 1080 Brushed Black Metallic on all the piano black.

14. Torque Monster

I love that look! I just bought the console and steering wheel kit from EV Wraps off Amazon. If I could, I'd make everything inside white.

15. XLR82XS

XLR82XS D M C

• Like x 1
  16. jkoya

jkoya NA2 NSX

I was getting a lot of reflection of the white dash onto the sideview mirror, so I wrapped it with a matrix black vinyl.

17. notrhj

notrhj Member

No it’s perfect. Would Do It Again
    Would also like the white armrest in the concept that Watts_Up posted

AB7E9203-B169-4BFB-9BD8-4F51022F26CC.jpeg

The only issue was a friend who tinted his side windows so dark they were like black mirrors. There was reflections even off the seats

18. Perscitus

Perscitus Member

Here are some pics of the eBay kits floating around... separate parts for 50-few hundred to the while kit for close to 1K (!)

If there was ever too much white - this combined with white-out chrome delete, door handles, badges, white vinyl or plastic on all windows door switches dash, white aero covers or powdercoated 19s 20s and white mudflaps will do the trick.
    s-l400 (1).jpg

s-l400 (2).jpg

19. jcsnider

jcsnider Member

20190822_213422.jpg

White armrest cover from Taptes. Tried the matte white console wrap from Kenriko (awesome seller, nice dude) but my multiple installs never turned out well around the cupholders. (my fault).

I then tried the Tesla White console wrap from EV Wraps on Amazon and the installation is almost perfect, and no need to use a razor blade. The color is more glossy like the white on the dash and the feel of the material is a lot better too. I was worried about too much white as well, but I absolutely love how it all turned out.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1