Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there truly no cruise control resume without EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why are you automatically jumping to the extremes and assuming that either the car can't support it or Tesla doesn't want to do it?

Yes, it would be nice to have, but it's a feature that isn't worth losing sleep over.

Agree. Otherwise time to take the car back LOL. Some people are very resistant to change of any kind and not everyone thinks this is a bad thing. Tesla's EVs do require a different way of thinking and I get that old familiarities and habits are hard to break and maybe require some new brain training. Many people including myself never thought a sole center screen would be something easily adapted to using but I've changed my mind on this. Most people adapt pretty easily.

Last edited:
I've never used resume for cruise control. If something happens where i have to get out of cruise I just go back to the speed I want to cruise at again later. Do people really drop down to say 60mph and then want to resume cruising at 75?

All the time. Just because I am going 75 doesn't mean I can safely pass another car at that moment to maintain 75. But once they re passed yes I return to 75.

Reactions: CyberShy
<<shrug>>
I prefer this behavior. One thing for sure, you and I have very different ideas of "horrible

CC not working the way I am used to would be at worse a missing preference. What is it around this forum and the apparent need to engage in hyperbole ?

:rolleyes:
What is it about these forums where people can't accept any criticism of the car or brand?

$57k + tax later doesn't leave me satisfied when I don't have basic functionality that has existed on almost every vehicle in the past 40 years?

Sorry, but the sheet ain't always rainbows and unicorns here

I came across this as well, my workaround for when I'm approaching a slower vehicle and unable to change lanes due to traffic is to utilize the scroll wheel to drop the speed and manage it that way, once I'm out from behind the slow car a quick scroll on the wheel back to my speed and it's all good to go without me having to disengage the cruise control. Always ready for the brake if needed of course

What is it about these forums where people can't accept any criticism of the car or brand?

$57k + tax later doesn't leave me satisfied when I don't have basic functionality that has existed on almost every vehicle in the past 40 years?

Just re-enable and scroll the wheel a couple times. It's like 2% more annoying than having resume. You'll get used to it, I'm sure.

• Disagree
also, in case y'all haven't discovered it, you can jump in 5mph increments/decrements with the scroll wheel by simply by scrolling it a lot and fast (dunno any word that could describe that action). It's kinda like when you use your mouse wheel to scroll up/down a long page (like these forum threads) fast.

Sometimes EAP will limit me to something slow on a local road, and when that road speed limit goes back up, EAP won't bring me back to the fast speed automatically. So I just scroll fast on the wheel a couple times, and I've put 10mph back on the speed.

So without a resume, I just activate CC/EAP and then make the speed adjustment with the wheel. Or, like someone else said, I like to be in control of my accel/decel sometimes, so I just manually get back to my desired speed and "set" EAP/CC back on.

• Informative
Reactions: Jaguar and SigNC
also, in case y'all haven't discovered it, you can jump in 5mph increments/decrements with the scroll wheel by simply by scrolling it a lot and fast (dunno any word that could describe that action). It's kinda like when you use your mouse wheel to scroll up/down a long page (like these forum threads) fast.
As best I can figure it's two clicks up or down without a pause between them.

• Informative

The cost of the vehicle has nothing to do with the decision to not include cruise resume. It is likely a design decision, not a function of cost or their ability to program it.

The car also doesn't have a gauge cluster by design, are you mad that a $10k Kia has a gauge cluster?

I'm not arguing that the car wouldn't benefit from having the feature. In fact, I agree that cruise resume would be a good addition. But it has nothing to do with the cars cost, it's perceived value, or how it compares to other cars.

The lack of a resume is my pet peeve about my Tesla. I have a heavy foot (just love that acceleration) so I tend to use cruise control a lot, especially for in-town driving. So I drive with my thumb on the scroll wheel and control the car speed that way. But then I need to brake when stopping at stop signs, or lights, or when turning sharply, or braking for traffic. In those times I dream of being able to just twist the scroll wheel to the right for resume (and possibly to the left for disengage to cruise to a stop).

I never used resume so I don't miss it. Asking a primitive implementation of CC -- ie the normal kind that most cars have -- to "resume" is asking the car to floor it until it reaches your previous speed. That is not very fuel efficient and is not really that safe either. It never made sense to hand that job off to cruise control and so Tesla fixed that. Now you could certainly argue that a thinking CC like Tesla's could have a nice efficient resume function, but the fact is that no matter how they did it, someone would not like it.

• Disagree
Reactions: SigNC and CyberShy
I never used resume so I don't miss it. Asking a primitive implementation of CC -- ie the normal kind that most cars have -- to "resume" is asking the car to floor it until it reaches your previous speed. That is not very fuel efficient and is not really that safe either. It never made sense to hand that job off to cruise control and so Tesla fixed that. Now you could certainly argue that a thinking CC like Tesla's could have a nice efficient resume function, but the fact is that no matter how they did it, someone would not like it.

You have never been in a car that "floored" it by hitting CC resume. Not a single car ever made has performed this way.

Do people really drop down to say 60mph and then want to resume cruising at 75?

Yep, all the time. Small towns along highway routes have much lower speed limits, so I constantly have to disengage CC while driving through town, then I would love to be able to resume a mile later once I've passed through the town. I drive through 18 of these tiny towns/villages/intersections on my weekly commute.

My Volt had the best resume ever - it would accelerate at exactly the most efficient speed keeping the efficiency “green ball” right in the center. So you could resume from a stoplight up to highway speeds and be automatically getting the best efficiency. Exactly what you would expect from a high technology car. Too bad Tesla doesn’t give us that option.

Yep, all the time. Small towns along highway routes have much lower speed limits, so I constantly have to disengage CC while driving through town, then I would love to be able to resume a mile later once I've passed through the town. I drive through 18 of these tiny towns/villages/intersections on my weekly commute.

Right, i get that but if you have already disengaged it it's not much different to just speed back to your desired speed and turn it back on. I meant specifically wanting CC to take you from your slow speed, back to where you were before. I just don't see it being much of a difference.

Have had a Model 3 for 2 months and I also miss the resume function. I am startled to find that it does not exist, rather than being another thing I haven't figured out how to do yet. (It would be nice if the Owner's Manual came out and said, "There is no resume function.") It is most useful in a situation where you need to disengage frequently (slow traffic, changing speed limits). I agree that making it a push-right on the scroll wheel would be easy, handy, and intuitive. A resume feature that accelerated at an energy-efficient rate would be great, as I agree that some resume features accelerate too abruptly.

If it makes you feel better, EAP doesn't have resume either. The behavior changes so if you set it while below the speed limit*, it sets to limit*, and above limit, it sets to current speed. Honestly I really dislike that behavior and just want to always set to current speed, since there are many times it doesn't know the correct speed limit, and I don't like it making the "decision" to speed up inappropriately. Other threads exist on this topic with most people against current design due to safety concerns.

* - plus any offset setting in Autopilot settings.
Amen

Status
Not open for further replies.