Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there truly no cruise control resume without EAP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have never been in a car that "floored" it by hitting CC resume. Not a single car ever made has performed this way.

Huh? You know what I have or have not driven? This forum seems to have an abundance of experts lately. Basic CC -- like the kind that has four functions on a stalk and has been around for a long time -- does indeed accelerate much more rapidly than it needs to. It's not nearly as efficient as a good driver in that regard. Perhaps "flooring it" is a bit hyperbolic but the point is the same -- asking a Tesla to behave like old-school CC is like asking it to expel exhaust fumes.

There is an area near my house where the google map speed is wrong - by a LOT. The map thinks it's 50 when it's only 25. I drive it almost every day and I can't tell you how many times I turn on cruise control and it sets it by default to 55 (50 + my 5MPH offset) and jams on the accelerator. To make matter worse that is an area where there is a ton of police presence. I'm really fortunate not to have gotten a ticket during my reaction time to stop the car from accelerating to 55 in a 25.

I, too, am of the opinion that they need to change what happens when you first engage cruise.

Tesla charges an outrageous amount of money for TACC (which is quickly becoming standard on new automobiles).

While I understand where you are coming from about there being no resume(at least in non EAP cars since TACC does basically resume automatically...), I do take issue with your above statement. EAP includes Navigate on Autopilot (Beta), Autosteer, Traffic-Aware Cruise Control, Auto Lane Change, Summon and Autopark.. So how exactly would you like to split up the cost across those options. And as different options get better or even added, how do you then re-assess the cost of each?

You have never been in a car that "floored" it by hitting CC resume. Not a single car ever made has performed this way.

With a big enough delta in speed differential I have had both my previous car and my Model 3 "floor" it on resuming speed. When using TACC and the car slows down because of a slower car which then changes lanes, you can have a reasonable jolt as the Tesla resumes back to it's set speed.

There is an area near my house where the google map speed is wrong - by a LOT. The map thinks it's 50 when it's only 25. I drive it almost every day and I can't tell you how many times I turn on cruise control and it sets it by default to 55 (50 + my 5MPH offset) and jams on the accelerator. To make matter worse that is an area where there is a ton of police presence. I'm really fortunate not to have gotten a ticket during my reaction time to stop the car from accelerating to 55 in a 25.

I, too, am of the opinion that they need to change what happens when you first engage cruise.

The easy workaround is to set the speed limit offset to -25 (or whatever the max is these days).

Do that and TACC will generally just set your speed when engaged to the exact speed you are driving, just like "normal" CC does.

Huh? You know what I have or have not driven? This forum seems to have an abundance of experts lately. Basic CC -- like the kind that has four functions on a stalk and has been around for a long time -- does indeed accelerate much more rapidly than it needs to. It's not nearly as efficient as a good driver in that regard. Perhaps "flooring it" is a bit hyperbolic but the point is the same -- asking a Tesla to behave like old-school CC is like asking it to expel exhaust fumes.

The hyperbolic aspect is exactly, and only, what I was referencing. Acceleration amounts are subjective. I agree I've been in vehicles that I thought accelerated faster than they should, as well as slower. That being said, "flooring" it is not subjective - it's 100% throttle, and yes - no car ever made utilizes 100% throttle on cruise control.

Seems like I'm living in bizarro world, because today MY CAR HAS CRUISE CONTROL RESUME.

Summary - Yes, EAP (TACC) does provide cruise control resume.

Let me preface this by saying I had initially declined the trial of EAP (I had a loaner for two weeks prior to purchase and didn't like it on the roads I use most). After the nagging "Updating Autopilot Software" screen lock several mornings in a row, the car had a hard reset and I accepted the trial offer the next time if asked me. Point being, I'm now in the trial period for EAP (version prior to AP) so I"m technically using TACC when driving and not just CC. Not sure if this has any relevance or not, but wanted it out there for full disclosure.

This morning, I set my CC to 58 (speed limit 55). After several miles of standard traffic, I disengage by lifting the stalk up one click and continue driving as normal. Not sure why, but I re-engaged at around 45 mph by clicking down one click (instead of two to restart), and the car speed up to 58 and resumed. I repeated this multiple times. It made sense, as the speed CC was previously set at stayed in the circle below your actual speed (where I think it previously just mimicked your real speed). Now, your resume CC speed remains static in the small circle and clicking down on the stalk one indent (after having set the CC speed previously), resumes just like any other car.

I can almost swear I have tried this (one-click down) before and it didn't work. I'm on the same software as when I purchased the car (50.6), and the only thing that has changed - to my knowledge - is that I'm on the EAP trial. Therefore, my assumption is that the resume feature is tied to TACC, but I can't confirm this until the trial expires....at which time I'll purchase AP as I fall under the $2k category, but that's another story.

This morning, I set my CC to 58 (speed limit 55). After several miles of standard traffic, I disengage by lifting the stalk up one click and continue driving as normal. Not sure why, but I re-engaged at around 45 mph by clicking down one click (instead of two to restart), and the car speed up to 58 and resumed. I repeated this multiple times. It made sense, as the speed CC was previously set at stayed in the circle below your actual speed (where I think it previously just mimicked your real speed). Now, your resume CC speed remains static in the small circle and clicking down on the stalk one indent (after having set the CC speed previously), resumes just like any other car.

This is not new. The problem is that the rules the system goes by are complex, non-intuitive, and confusing. Here's a summary of how TACC behaves on the Model 3:

1. If you have not previously set any speed AND the car has not identified the speed limit of the road you're traveling on, then engaging TACC will set the car to your current speed.

2. If you have previously set a speed AND the car has not identified the speed limit of the road you're traveling on, then two different things can happen:

A. If the car's current speed is less than the previously set speed, then engaging TACC sets the car to the previously set speed (this is classic resume).

B. If the car's current speed is greater than the previously set speed, then engaging TACC sets the car to the current speed.

3. If you have not previously set any speed AND the car has identified the speed limit of the road you're traveling on, then two different things can happen:

A. If the car's current speed is less than the identified speed limit + the user-set speed limit offset, then engaging TACC sets the car to speed limit + user-set speed limit offset.

B. If the car's current speed is greater than the identified speed limit + the user-set speed limit offset, then engaging TACC sets the car to the current speed.

4. If you have previously set a speed AND the car has identified the speed limit of the road you're traveling on, then three different things can happen:

A. If the car's current speed is less than the previously set speed AND the previously set speed is greater than the identified speed limit + uset-set speed limit offset, then engaging TACC sets the car to the previously set speed (this functions identically to classic resume, and this is what happened in your case above).

B. If the car's current speed is greater than the previously set speed AND the previously set speed is greater than the identified speed limit + uset-set speed limit offset, then engaging TACC sets the car to the current speed.

C. If the previously set speed is less than the identified speed limit + user-set speed limit offset, then the car does not remember the previously set speed. TACC behaves as in #3 above.

Furthermore, if you are in situation #3B, #4A, or #4B, you can override the normal TACC behavior and immediately set the car to speed limit + user-set speed limit offset by engaging TACC with a full press down and hold on the gear stalk.

Your situation that I quoted above was situation #4A, and I can also infer that your user-set speed limit offset is probably set to 0 MPH.

But as you can see, there are 6 different factors that go into how TACC behaves:

1. Whether there is a previously-set speed or not.
2. Whether the car has identified the speed limit or not.
3. The car's current speed.
4. The car's previously set speed.
5. The current speed limit.
6. The user-set speed limit offset.

Changing any one of those things changes how TACC behaves, and in my opinion, the programming here is far too complex. No driver can reliably predict what TACC is going to do in any situation. The one saving grace is that the speed at which TACC will set the car to is displayed in gray in the circle, so you at least know what speed is going to get set when you push the stalk. But in many (most?) situations, that may not be the speed you expect or want.

Exactly. That is horrible.

I have to manually get back to speed and engage the cruise control. A resume button should bring you back to your set speed before braking or disengaging cruise control.

This is something that has been standard on cars since the 80s. They really can't program this feature? Give me a flipping break.

Can you say "FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS"? It's nice that we in America can even think to complain about stuff like this.

Status
Not open for further replies.