Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there UV protection on all Tesla S windshields?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I recently picked up a 2013 P85 and am trying to figure out if it does or doesn't have the UV protection.

I'm asking because 1) some posts suggest there could be some S models without it and 2) I'm looking to hardwire a radar detector - which apparently won't work if the windshield has this.

Any help appreciated - thanks!

Hi - I recently picked up a 2013 P85 and am trying to figure out if it does or doesn't have the UV protection.

I'm asking because 1) some posts suggest there could be some S models without it and 2) I'm looking to hardwire a radar detector - which apparently won't work if the windshield has this.

Any help appreciated - thanks!
In general, all pre-AP2 vehicles have such a coated windshield. You can tell by placing some water on the windshield and seeing if it gives off a purple hue near the water droplets.
Post-AP2, most cars do not have coated windshield but I've seen some that do as well.

In general, all pre-AP2 vehicles have such a coated windshield. You can tell by placing some water on the windshield and seeing if it gives off a purple hue near the water droplets.
Post-AP2, most cars do not have coated windshield but I've seen some that do as well.

Interesting. I'll try the water trick. Will have to read if this eliminates *all* radar detectors, or merely makes the one I currently own useless..

Interesting. I'll try the water trick. Will have to read if this eliminates *all* radar detectors, or merely makes the one I currently own useless..

It would make ALL in-cabin radar detectors nearly useless if you have such a windshield. They will pick up a strong point-blank signal but will not warn you adequately for long range or indirect targeting (ambush) scenarios.