Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is there value in the Tesla 4yr CPO warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Having 82k miles and just DIYed my door handle for $6 last weekend, I can't say that I agree with the argument for warranty. It was my first repair that warranty would have covered. BTW - I called the service center. They told me they had the part in stock (24 actually). And I went in and picked it up. It is a part that they certainly don't have to sell but they do (they didn't always). So from my standpoint, the Tesla support is just fine. They could have charged $50 and I would have paid it.

If you can DIY, and Tesla doesn't sell something, there are always salvage yards. Not leveraging one's own skill is the gravest of financial sins. And then selling a perfectly good car just because the warranty went out over fear is the second gravest.

Data for 75s and 90s. I have a 70 so I don't follow it that closely. But several forum threads on early degradation that was higher in that battery generation. The 75s and 90s are from the same time period. What I gathered is that my 70 has more range that most 75s and those are newer cars/batteries. But - no I don't have data. There is a search function of course...

Now the nerfing of charging is an issue - no question. Mine is nerfed - I think. I don't supercharge enough to care - wife has a 3 that is the road trip car. LR - RWD - with aero covers. So range and supercharge speed is not even comparable to an older S. Her car may be the fastest road trip car Tesla ever sold - It certainly charges the fastest since it is the most efficient (of the high range variants).

No, the CPO warranty starts the day you take ownership of the vehicle, 4 years total (total vehicle). The battery has an 8 year 150K mile warranty that begins when the vehicle is first sold and doesn't start over at any point.

So tesla is only offering the 150K warranty on it's used cars, even if it originally came with 8/unlimited?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up, if the car originally came with 8/unlimited it keeps the unlimited when Tesla is selling it used. Which is good because I can see that becoming a huge lawsuit that they are retroactively yanking warranties.

• Informative
Reactions: Jomak
So tesla is only offering the 150K warranty on it's used cars, even if it originally came with 8/unlimited?

EDIT: Nevermind, I looked it up, if the car originally came with 8/unlimited it keeps the unlimited when Tesla is selling it used. Which is good because I can see that becoming a huge lawsuit that they are retroactively yanking warranties.
Good catch, I wasn't thinking about that.

Good catch, I wasn't thinking about that.

What really sucks is seeing some very new cars listed as used that came in under the mark and some with a similar vin and build date that are over the mark. Any car that was built before the policy change that was still in inventory will only get 150k even though it was built before the cut off, just wasn't delivered. I can't imagine the crap we'll see in the coming years where someone who took delivery the day before the cut off is unlimited while his buddy with the exact same S/X that took delivery one day later is shafted with 150K warranty.

But most people won't hit 150K in 8 years (18,750/yr average) anyway so it's certainly an outlier. I drive 25-30K a year, hell my commuting miles alone are just over 19K

Not if they own the vehicle.

So it has an unlimited warranty on the battery?

The issue is Tesla has removed all the FREE supercharging on the MS before 2017, don't get that either. It seems you get a 4 yr warranty but they take away too.

Not if they own the vehicle.
I was never talking about tesla retroactively taking away the warranty from an owners car.

So it has an unlimited warranty on the battery?

The issue is Tesla has removed all the FREE supercharging on the MS before 2017, don't get that either. It seems you get a 4 yr warranty but they take away too.

Yes, up until recently all Model S/X (except the original 40 and 60kwh from 2012-14) came with a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty. The battery and drive motors, not driveTRAIN meaing axles/drive shafts excluded, came with a 8yr/unlimited mileage warranty.

All used cars sold through Tesla put in service before the cutoff date still retain the 8/unlimited battery and motor warranty from the date it was first put in service. The used bumper to bumper warranty start from the day the new owner puts it into service. Nearly every car they sell used with less than 50k miles will come with a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty. Anything with more than 50K will come with a 2yr 100K odometer warranty. So if you by a car with 60K miles you're going to get a 2yr/40K warranty and if you buy a car with 75K miles your bumper to bumper will be 2yr/25K

I was never talking about tesla retroactively taking away the warranty from an owners car.

Yes, up until recently all Model S/X (except the original 40 and 60kwh from 2012-14) came with a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty. The battery and drive motors, not driveTRAIN meaing axles/drive shafts excluded, came with a 8yr/unlimited mileage warranty.

All used cars sold through Tesla put in service before the cutoff date still retain the 8/unlimited battery and motor warranty from the date it was first put in service. The used bumper to bumper warranty start from the day the new owner puts it into service. Nearly every car they sell used with less than 50k miles will come with a 4yr/50k bumper to bumper warranty. Anything with more than 50K will come with a 2yr 100K odometer warranty. So if you by a car with 60K miles you're going to get a 2yr/40K warranty and if you buy a car with 75K miles your bumper to bumper will be 2yr/25K

Thank you, but why remove the free super charging you are supposed to get?

I am looking at used MS on EV-CPO and you can sort by 4yr CPO warranty and I got to thinking after reading stories and watching youtube...is there any value in this? Why would I not buy a car from a dealer or private party as well?

Is this 4yr CPO warranty worth anything? Should you buy used from Tesla?

Please help, I would like to hear from those who purchased CPO and what value they see in it...THANK YOU!

BTW, the used MS I am looking at are 2016 75/75D, maybe 15/16 90D. That also brings up a second question, why don't these have FREE supercharging?

The Warranty is worth something, most items covered, because, never know. Free supercharging program on Used ended beginning of the year. You have to buy new to get Free supercharging if its offered. Hope this helps!

Reactions: tccartier
I'm in the same boat, been doing research for months. Unfortunately, I think the warranty question comes down to your typical driving needs (2yr vs 4yr) and your preference for knowing various repairs are "covered."

I've had a couple of cars that have taught me that--for me--I want the warranty. I had a used Volvo that sucked the life out of our bank account (no warranty) and a Toyota Highlander (extended warranty purchased) on which we've come out on top, repair wise.

When I eventually run out of warranty on whatever "CPO" Tesla I buy, will I look to see if I can "do it myself"? Yes. But not before.

I think you've seen enough responses on SuperCharging; it's a bummer, but not the end of the world for most of us. As for 70D/90D, maybe use one of the route calculators and see what difference it makes. Sure, there's a bit of additional peace of mind with the extra ~35 miles. But I did the comparison on the nine long-distance routes we were most likely to drive (family, etc), and on ONLY ONE did the 90D give us one fewer stops, and the time difference in charging was 17 minutes. There's no way I'd pay $5K-ish for that.

I am looking at used MS on EV-CPO and you can sort by 4yr CPO warranty and I got to thinking after reading stories and watching youtube...is there any value in this? Why would I not buy a car from a dealer or private party as well?

Is this 4yr CPO warranty worth anything? Should you buy used from Tesla?

Please help, I would like to hear from those who purchased CPO and what value they see in it...THANK YOU!

BTW, the used MS I am looking at are 2016 75/75D, maybe 15/16 90D. That also brings up a second question, why don't these have FREE supercharging?