Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a common touchscreen issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A few times over the last couple weeks, my touchscreen becomes unresponsive. It still rotates the map as I drive, and if I make changes with the steering wheel controls they show up on the screen, but the screen won't accept any touch commands. A reboot fixes it, just wondering if this is a sign of a more serious issue, and if I should get it checked out, or at least logged, before my warranty expires soon.

A few times over the last couple weeks, my touchscreen becomes unresponsive. It still rotates the map as I drive, and if I make changes with the steering wheel controls they show up on the screen, but the screen won't accept any touch commands. A reboot fixes it, just wondering if this is a sign of a more serious issue, and if I should get it checked out, or at least logged, before my warranty expires soon.

For your survey of 1:

Never happened to me in 3 years with Model S.

Personally its only happend to us once but the entire screen froze. It just wasn't moving then it went black for about 30 seconds. And came back to life and never happend again! But if I were you I would get it checked out if its happend multiple times.

Yes, my 2016 I got in November is unresponsive.
I try to touch the nav, phone and energy buttons but the screen doesn't respond. I even rebooted, same thing.
After much consternation and kicking it, (kidding), it will respond.

Sometimes. I've noticed that if you use the browser the screen response will slow. Especially if you go to pages with a lot of Javascript. Also if you leave the browser on a page that has things happening like ads that reload or Waze, the screen response will decay over time even if you are not on the browser. I've started loading Google before I switch away from the browser and it seems to have helped.

These are just my observation on my HW2 MS75 delivered Dec16.

On our four year old S P85, this has happened periodically. If any portion of the display is active, then it probably is not a hardware problem - and most likely a software problem.

It could be a combination of what you are running on the console processor, which I believe is also used for AP processing (for AP2 cars, this could be changed when EAP/FSD start running on the new NVidia AP processing unit).

In the past, rebooting the console processor (holding down both steering wheel buttons) has cleared up the problem - at least for a while. Sometimes rebooting the dashboard processor may also help (hold down the top buttons on the steering wheel).

The 8.1 update is supposed to have a new Linux kernel and a major improvement in the browser, along with additional improvements in the media player (hopefully this time it will be an improvement, not like the steps backward present with 8.0's media player updates).

If you call Tesla, they will likely recommend you take the car to a Service Center to be checked out. Unless this is a huge problem, I'd recommend waiting until after 8.1 is released - and if you still have the problem with the new release - then take it to the Service Center - or if you have a scheduled Service Center appointment, have them check it then.

Just happened to me the second time today. We have a second hand Model S for a couple of months. When it happened, the reboot does not work, and the screen still works just not responding to touches. The dash screen would show up an warning saying “touchscreen non responsive” and askes to reboot. One thing interesting is that the 3G network will take a long time to establish when this happens and no music as a result. The music will resume once the network recovers. It will again take a long time to connect to the 3G network if reboot, which does not fix the problem. It finally went away after I hard reset the system by parking the car for a few hours. For this second time, I just parked the car a few hours ago and will check if it come back to life when I pick it up later.

If you haven't already, contact Tesla's phone support line and have them look at the logs for your car, to see if there is a problem. They may refer you to the local service center. What you are seeing isn't normal.

One possibility is the navigation list. A while back, our S P85 console was less responsive, and deleting the history for the navigation system resolved the problem.

There are two ways to do that, unfortunately, neither is a great solution.

First, you can go into the navigation app and manually delete each individual entry in the history list. This can take a while if you've entered many destinations. Tesla hasn't (yet) provided any easy way to delete the entire list with one command.

Or, you can completely reset the software - and erase all of your settings and history. This is more drastic, but may be worth doing. When Tesla replaced our S 100D's console display a few months ago (bad adhesive on the touchscreen), we lost all of our data - and had to re-enter everything (like we did when the car first arrived). It was inconvenient for a few days, but not really that big of a deal.

If clearing the navigation history doesn't fix it - then I'd recommend clearing all of the software settings - and if that still doesn't fix it, work with Tesla to find a solution.