TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Is this a common touchscreen issue?

Discussion in 'Model S' started by hingisfan, Mar 16, 2017.

1. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

A few times over the last couple weeks, my touchscreen becomes unresponsive. It still rotates the map as I drive, and if I make changes with the steering wheel controls they show up on the screen, but the screen won't accept any touch commands. A reboot fixes it, just wondering if this is a sign of a more serious issue, and if I should get it checked out, or at least logged, before my warranty expires soon.

2. Johann Koeber

Johann Koeber Member

For your survey of 1:

Never happened to me in 3 years with Model S.

3. P85DBeast

P85DBeast Side tEsLa

Personally its only happend to us once but the entire screen froze. It just wasn't moving then it went black for about 30 seconds. And came back to life and never happend again! But if I were you I would get it checked out if its happend multiple times.

4. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Not common, but definitely report to Tesla. Might be a software problem, might be hardware.

5. Drone Flyer

Drone Flyer Member

Yes, my 2016 I got in November is unresponsive.
    I try to touch the nav, phone and energy buttons but the screen doesn't respond. I even rebooted, same thing.
    After much consternation and kicking it, (kidding), it will respond.

6. sgmorton

sgmorton Member

Sometimes. I've noticed that if you use the browser the screen response will slow. Especially if you go to pages with a lot of Javascript. Also if you leave the browser on a page that has things happening like ads that reload or Waze, the screen response will decay over time even if you are not on the browser. I've started loading Google before I switch away from the browser and it seems to have helped.

These are just my observation on my HW2 MS75 delivered Dec16.

7. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

On our four year old S P85, this has happened periodically. If any portion of the display is active, then it probably is not a hardware problem - and most likely a software problem.

It could be a combination of what you are running on the console processor, which I believe is also used for AP processing (for AP2 cars, this could be changed when EAP/FSD start running on the new NVidia AP processing unit).

In the past, rebooting the console processor (holding down both steering wheel buttons) has cleared up the problem - at least for a while. Sometimes rebooting the dashboard processor may also help (hold down the top buttons on the steering wheel).

The 8.1 update is supposed to have a new Linux kernel and a major improvement in the browser, along with additional improvements in the media player (hopefully this time it will be an improvement, not like the steps backward present with 8.0's media player updates).

If you call Tesla, they will likely recommend you take the car to a Service Center to be checked out. Unless this is a huge problem, I'd recommend waiting until after 8.1 is released - and if you still have the problem with the new release - then take it to the Service Center - or if you have a scheduled Service Center appointment, have them check it then.

8. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Never happened to me. If a reboot fixes it, most likely it is a software issue.

9. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

Non AP car, just running maps up top and Tunes on bottom as usual. Thanks, I'll make a report so it will hopefully be covered under warranty later if it becomes more serious.

10. CHG-ON

CHG-ON Still in love after all these miles

Yup.