Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a confused way to see reality?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Obviously very suspicious, since it flies directly in the face of so many data points and so much logic, none of which needs to be repeated here.

But note that the author does not provide any support for the assertion in his article. He simply says that Morgan Stanley says...

It would be interesting to read the Morgan Stanley report, though I expect it to be deeply flawed. But without the report, there's nothing to discuss.

I blame the schools. But shame on Morgan Stanley for only hiring minimum wage financial analysts. At least make sure they had a C- or better in Intro To Business Math For Dummies.

The highest concentration and number of EVs in the US is in California. California's grid is not 72% fossil fuel as laid out in the report, which used national numbers instead.

Even if you assume there was an unrealistic uniform dispersal of EVs in the US, the average efficiency of the modern EVs is higher than the modern ICE vehicles. Less power per mile means less CO2 in general. ie - strip out the battery and electrics, put in an i4 motor, and a typical EV would use less gas as well. But EV propulsion itself is less lossy on top of that. Hence with wild "MPGe" numbers you see.

This 'Dirty EV' argument is old, and was funded by Toyota at Carnegie Mellon University which doubles as a house of prostitution. They 'proved' a Nissan Leaf is 'dirtier' than a Prius in many states. Problem is, California wasn't one of them, where most the Leafs are. And the fact they used stale data didn't help much either, as the grid is getting cleaner. The average EV in the USA is cleaner than the average Prius.

Here's a brief of the study, and if you look hard at CMU's website, you find:

Corporate Funders
Alcoa, Inc.
Boeing Company
Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc.

Where is Nissan? Tesla? GM?

It's also worth noting that it's possible (in California, anyway) to specify to the utility that you want to purchase renewable energy... PG&E gives you a choice and estimates the additional monthly cost (it was about $20 for my house) if you choose the green option.

Rich

It's also worth noting that it's possible (in California, anyway) to specify to the utility that you want to purchase renewable energy... PG&E gives you a choice and estimates the additional monthly cost (it was about $20 for my house) if you choose the green option.

Rich

Great point--many towns in Massachusetts, too. Ours is enabling 100% renewables next month