Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Is this a coolant leak (green fluid)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Go to the car wash and see what color of soap they use
Just did. There is no green soap or cleaner.
D39BBE21-F53C-42A7-BC6F-4BE97D2256D0.jpeg

Soap is slippery Antifreeze can be sticky. Did you pull the carpet back at the firewall to see if you can tell where it's coming from? Does Tesla have a heater core under the dash that the coolant lines connect to?

There is no liquid heater core on a Tesla. Either straight electric or refrigerant, neither of which contain coolant. Also, the coolant is blue.

There is no liquid heater core on a Tesla. Either straight electric or refrigerant, neither of which contain coolant. Also, the coolant is blue.
Note there is a coolant loop that runs to the computer. There can be a leak there that leaks into the glovebox area and it'll drip onto the passenger footwell.

Autopilot, Processors and Hardware – MCU & HW Demystified – TeslaTap
m3_MCU_720.jpg

That said if it happens every car wash, that might be something different and a leak elsewhere.

I always assumed it was fluid from the car wash until our M3 spontaneously shutdown twice under very similar circumstances. It still may be that as well but Tesla has tried to recreate that leak without success.

Yeah I think it is too much of a coincidence to be unrelated (the car wash vs. the green fluid). My experience with coolant leaks has been that they happen when the car is warmed up and operating, and are the worst immediately after shutting off when everything becomes heat soaked and pressure in the coolant system is at its highest. I have a very strong suspicion your spontaneous shutdown is unrelated to it. I'd chase one problem at a time and don't assume they're related.

Reactions: phishphan